Fired up the Harrop conversion today...Ecotec Atom2

DarthChicken

Re: Fired up the Harrop conversion today...Ecotec Atom2

Post by DarthChicken » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:25 pm

[quote="Positron"]
Not me.. I'm going with the 80's.. not into dyno numbers, my goal is to put the turbo boys in their place..  behind 73 >:D
[/quote]

Being that we're only doing one track together this year, and its a track you've done more than a few times (AND using race tires), I would hope you'd put me in my place.  If you don't, you've broken something.  Which as you have a built engine and tune your own, I find unlikely.

Some of the others here.. using stock cast pistons and a remote tuning solution....  :-\

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:54 pm

Not worried..the LSJ piston is pretty stout as long as you don't run gobs of timing or lousy fuel. My car lives on track only 95+ octane and I told Trifecta I wasn't looking for top HP numbers.Vince seems to have tuned quite a few of the LSJ's and is pretty confident in his work. I've run canned tunes before,and they may not make 100% of the capable potential power..but good enough. As long as the tune is close,the ECM  has the ability to adjust things as well.It can see how much air is coming in,how hot the engine is,the temperature of the intake air,the throttle position, load on the engine,and has a knock sensor.
If you run any motor lean or too hot,custom tune or not,it will pop.  Most engine failures on track are from oil starvation or heat.
Would it be wise to run forged pistons? Sure.How about a better clutch?Absolutely.Maybe stronger rods..custom engine balance,light flywheel,better cams..ported head,custom tuned,custom header.. etc etc... 
I have not lost a motor,ever,and I certainly don't expect to loose this one. If things don't sound right,I stop running and find the problem.Yes,yes,it all happens so suddenly....the thing is,I have seen SO many engine casualties that could have been avoided IF the driver was paying just a little attention,instead of flogging the thing to death! >:(
 An engine usually gives you warning before bad things happen,unless it is a catastrophic component failure,and then there is not much you can do..but pick up the pieces and move on.
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:28 pm

[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]
Not worried..the LSJ piston is pretty stout as long as you don't run gobs of timing or lousy fuel. My car lives on track only 95+ octane and I told Trifecta I wasn't looking for top HP numbers.Vince seems to have tuned quite a few of the LSJ's and is pretty confident in his work. I've run canned tunes before,and they may not make 100% of the capable potential power..but good enough. As long as the tune is close,the ECM  has the ability to adjust things as well.It can see how much air is coming in,how hot the engine is,the temperature of the intake air,the throttle position, load on the engine,and has a knock sensor.
If you run any motor lean or too hot,custom tune or not,it will pop.  Most engine failures on track are from oil starvation or heat.
Would it be wise to run forged pistons? Sure.How about a better clutch?Absolutely.Maybe stronger rods..custom engine balance,light flywheel,better cams..ported head,custom tuned,custom header.. etc etc... 
I have not lost a motor,ever,and I certainly don't expect to loose this one. If things don't sound right,I stop running and find the problem.Yes,yes,it all happens so suddenly....the thing is,I have seen SO many engine casualties that could have been avoided IF the driver was paying just a little attention,instead of flogging the thing to death! >:(
 An engine usually gives you warning before bad things happen,unless it is a catastrophic component failure,and then there is not much you can do..but pick up the pieces and move on.

[/quote]

You're absolutely correct Mark.  What I'm curious about, is how many Atoms has this guy done, with the stock intake/MAF housing, with these injectors and a HARROP?  Enough to develop a MAF curve that can be used by all (MAF curve wrong = can't tell how much air)?  So he's sending a wideband out with this cable, so he can see what's going on? 

I have no doubt you'll be fine Max.  You're a mechanic.  You know what to look out for.  If something fails, putting new pistons or an entire engine in the car is a weekend project.  Others on here are stymied by something as simple as a hose clamp.

My hope is that folks like you will see if there is something wrong for the others not so technically capable, and throw a red flag to keep others out of trouble.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:39 pm

After you install the tune,he asks that you data log and send him the file.His software is capable of this.  If it is close,the narrow band readings on the car should suffice to tell him things are good.

Yes,I will run a wide band on my first outing...but unless there are fuel pressure issues or something really out of the ordinary (different injectors than tuner was told,wild cams,ported head,LOTS of air flow etc) I think most people will be OK. I am sure the tune is on the conservative side,and if someone wanted to fine tune it, great. With the Harrop blower so quiet,any detonation/pinging should be recognizable.. I'll take a good look at the plugs too...like the old days of tuning... ;)

silver

Post by silver » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:10 pm

here's a used one for sale

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthre ... ght=harrop

but seeing as he's selling it with pullies as small as 2.75" I would recommend caution per Positron's note that they could have damaged the supercharger with that small of a pulley.....but if it's legit at $1750 shipped that's $300 less than retail now plus you get a few extra pullies and free shipping.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:36 pm

I knew I should have bought three when I did mine.I got it for $1650,new,shipped. If I had bought mine the first time I talked to Harrop(almost two years ago..),it would have been $1550,shipped.Amazing how some products go up in value.. :tu:

silver

Post by silver » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:39 pm

ZZperformance just called me back after I've been waiting for a week....they claim someone else bought the supercharger before me for 1850 and instead of honoring the price they are just refunding my money....Obviously their fault for not updating the website so this fu#king sucks and will cost me yet more money..

Aholes.

Gage

Post by Gage » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:48 pm

[quote="silver"]
ZZperformance just called me back after I've been waiting for a week....they claim someone else bought the supercharger before me for 1850 and instead of honoring the price they are just refunding my money....Obviously their fault for not updating the website so this fu#king sucks and will cost me yet more money..

Aholes.
[/quote]

They are giving lessons on bad customer service.  They should have ordered another one and gave you the same price.  That is ridiculous.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:53 pm

I guess I'll hang on to that sensor a little longer  :td:

Go buy that used one Silver! Oh..wait.. it sold 3 days ago.  Wouldn't it have been nice if zz would have called you immediately so you could have gotten it?  :doh:

silver

Post by silver » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:56 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
I guess I'll hang on to that sensor a little longer  :td:

Go buy that used one Silver! Oh..wait.. it sold 3 days ago.  Wouldn't it have been nice if zz would have called you immediately so you could have gotten it?   :doh:
[/quote]

it's worse they lied to me stating they could no longer get the supercharger............I'm sure if I purchased on their website right now at $2050 it would be shipped out tomorrow, yet, instead of being honest they lied and said they can no longer get them because they are no longer being carried.

Based on Positron's warning's I wasn't going to buy the used one, but thanks for trying to make me feel worse Darth.

Go ahead and send the wide-band, I'm ordering the blower somewhere else, I'll be installing it the weekend of march 12th if all goes as planned....you can ship it out next week that would be just fine.

ps..I'm sure that kind of customer service works just fine with a bunch of young high school kids...but with me that's Fu#ked up...like Gage said, honor the price, I don't care if you're losing money, sometimes in business it's better to save face then save money.
Last edited by silver on Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:22 pm

They might be correct.  I don't think that ZZP was an official dealer, maybe they are now, but they did not used to be.  Just order it from Josh at OTTP ...

silver

Post by silver » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:24 pm

ZZP isn't an official dealer, turns out the one that they had that apparently someone purchased before me they purchased from OTTP.

Josh at OTTP is going to take care of me.
Last edited by silver on Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:28 pm

?
Last edited by NormLarson on Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:30 pm

!
Last edited by silver on Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:23 pm

?