Fired up the Harrop conversion today...Ecotec Atom2

Heywood-Yablowme

Re: Fired up the Harrop conversion today...Ecotec Atom2

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:13 am

I have the one piece seating.I will come down the inside of the frt bulkhead (where the rack is)and down the center console,to the right of the shifter,as the left is quite busy,and about to get busier.. ;)  I used clear tubing so I can see any bubbles.... :H: :D

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:20 am

[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]
Whew..Got the stock pump pushing down the rh transfer tube to the heat exchanger and back along the lh tube to the engine single inlet.Air bleeds off the top of the heat exchanger for about 15 seconds and is gone..and pump is making happy sounds.I'm not sure how much flow is going through the engine,but where else would it go? ;D  I ran the air bleed line high,but it looks like I can run it anywhere as the flow is strong enough to push the air over any inverts and into the reservoir,so I will reroute it out of sight tomorrow.Option B is functional. I'll have to see how it all works on track from here. :tu:   
I still don't see how brammo got it so bass-ackwards... :-\    Next task is the 5th gear detent ...I have an idea... ;)   
[/quote]

Pete called me today and has four kits about ready.  He just wants to see my car again.  He is going to see it Thursday ...

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:22 am

Dibs on one of those!  :o

silver

Post by silver » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:24 am

Norm or MAD, do I need to call Vince or what?

I sent him an email but no response, I'm not sure if he's a phone guy or an email guy.

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:27 am

I always called him ...

silver

Post by silver » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:52 pm

OK i'm part of the club....purchased it today from zzperformance.com......ottp and intenseracing both raised their prices from 1850 to 2050.....ddmworks is at 1950....and zzperformance is still at 1850....plus shipping was only $20 bux on ups ground versus the others offering 3day for $50....

also got the 60lbers and harness for 185 from the same site.

gulp

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:19 am

^ No worries.. ;)

positron

Post by positron » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:06 am

[quote="silver"]
OK i'm part of the club....purchased it today from zzperformance.com......ottp and intenseracing both raised their prices from 1850 to 2050.....ddmworks is at 1950....and zzperformance is still at 1850....plus shipping was only $20 bux on ups ground versus the others offering 3day for $50....

also got the 60lbers and harness for 185 from the same site.

gulp
[/quote]

Son,
Forget to tell you.... you need one of these... $$Link$$3

Dad..

pss.. next comes more safety equipment.. because more speed/Hp requires more safety equipment..

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:58 am

[quote="silver"]
OK i'm part of the club....purchased it today from zzperformance.com......ottp and intenseracing both raised their prices from 1850 to 2050.....ddmworks is at 1950....and zzperformance is still at 1850....plus shipping was only $20 bux on ups ground versus the others offering 3day for $50....[/quote]

Where did you see it at ZZ for $1850 - this link says $2049?

Also, what do folks think about the LS4 throttle body - will it fit in an Atom and does it do anything for us?

positron

Post by positron » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:18 am

I've heard undesirable control issues at lower rpm range.

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:17 am

[quote="Terry Kennedy"]
[quote="silver"]
OK i'm part of the club....purchased it today from zzperformance.com......ottp and intenseracing both raised their prices from 1850 to 2050.....ddmworks is at 1950....and zzperformance is still at 1850....plus shipping was only $20 bux on ups ground versus the others offering 3day for $50....[/quote]

Where did you see it at ZZ for $1850 - this link says $2049?

Also, what do folks think about the LS4 throttle body - will it fit in an Atom and does it do anything for us?
[/quote]

The LS4 fixes a not restrictive part with one that is problematic at best to tune.  With a light car like the Atom, it is just not worth it.  I made more hp below 5000 rpm with the stock TB and had drive ability.  I had no drive ability with the LS4 but never tuned above 5000 rpm without a restrictive exhaust (this is the rpm where it should have been better that the stock TB)

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:39 am

[quote="Norm"]
The LS4 fixes a not restrictive part with one that is problematic at best to tune.  With a light car like the Atom, it is just not worth it.  I made more hp below 5000 rpm with the stock TB and had drive ability.  I had no drive ability with the LS4 but never tuned above 5000 rpm without a restrictive exhaust (this is the rpm where it should have been better that the stock TB)[/quote]

Two votes against - good enough for me.

[quote="Positron"]
[/quote]

At this point, I'm just interested in realizing the 300HP I paid for 5 years ago...

I was thinking of the Harrop (and injectors & other necessary changes) + upgraded intercooler. I already have an upgraded exhaust from Shinoo. I have a pile of various ECUs and want to go with a tuning solution that lets me play with things, though I have no problem with paying for a good base tune as a starting point as long as I can modify it.

Does this sound reasonable?

My understanding is that past 300HP, other parts of the engine need to be upgraded (based on the GM LSJ build book and posts from Cobalt SS owners)

silver

Post by silver » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:17 pm

[quote="Terry Kennedy"]
[quote="Norm"]
The LS4 fixes a not restrictive part with one that is problematic at best to tune.  With a light car like the Atom, it is just not worth it.  I made more hp below 5000 rpm with the stock TB and had drive ability.  I had no drive ability with the LS4 but never tuned above 5000 rpm without a restrictive exhaust (this is the rpm where it should have been better that the stock TB)[/quote]

Two votes against - good enough for me.

[quote="Positron"]
[/quote]

At this point, I'm just interested in realizing the 300HP I paid for 5 years ago...

I was thinking of the Harrop (and injectors & other necessary changes) + upgraded intercooler. I already have an upgraded exhaust from Shinoo. I have a pile of various ECUs and want to go with a tuning solution that lets me play with things, though I have no problem with paying for a good base tune as a starting point as long as I can modify it.

Does this sound reasonable?

My understanding is that past 300HP, other parts of the engine need to be upgraded (based on the GM LSJ build book and posts from Cobalt SS owners)
[/quote]

Terry looks like I got the last one at 1850....It seems like harrop up'd their pricing and when the vendors sold out of their already purchased stock they up'd their prices to match..I knew it was coming so I had to pull the trigger.

Ddmworks still has it for 1950 so it's 100 less then the others.

Trifecta is a DAMN good bet for you and for tuning AND you can purchase the cable for $200 and keep it which allows him to go back and tweak the tune at any point for future modifications...I'm not sur e of the cost for future tuning but seeing what he accomplished with Norm's car it seems like a no brainer.

The jury is still out whether you "need" to change the air intake or not, but it's not too expensive to do so.

I'm copying Mad on the intercooler and until testing is done we won't know if it's a viable option versus Tom's intercooler, but if it is, then it will save you about $1700.

Since you already have the exhaust then you just need to decide on the intercooler, and intake.  Seems like everyone's using the 60lbers and they are available for $185 including harness from either ottp or zzp.

I'm shooting for the exact same thing as you Terry.....I just want my 300.....unfortunately the best solution is going to get us more like a 350-375crank horsepower car...but I'll take that if I have to. ;D

positron

Post by positron » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:51 pm

Not me.. I'm going with the 80's.. not into dyno numbers, my goal is to put the turbo boys in their place..  behind 73 >:D

silver

Post by silver » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:54 pm

lmao well the 80s are now $250 or more so you got a helluva deal;)