Fired up the Harrop conversion today...Ecotec Atom2

DarthChicken

Re: Fired up the Harrop conversion today...Ecotec Atom2

Post by DarthChicken » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:43 pm

Mark, before you add another pump, try the existing pump with route "B" in place.  Including the bleed line and orifice.  Trust me.  When I did this, I filled the entire system up, but left the cap off of my radiator on the front of the car.  Started the car, and the it started pumping coolant on to my floor.  The pump is MORE than capable of pushing your choice of coolant all over the place (water wetter and water for me), if its routed correctly and there is no air bubbles in the system.

When I was having issues with my pump, I took all the hoses off, and submerged it in a bucket of water.  The damn thing shot water across my garage  :o

[quote="Positron"]
cool stuff..  :tu:

I especially like that it stops just right before the dipstick shoots across the room.. ;D
[/quote]

Yeah you harrop guys are gonna experience this BIG time if you don't do something.  Bolus and I both have our oil caps drilled and tapped, with a hose coming off of it to the catchcan. So valve cover and oil cap to catchcan, and then from catchcan to intake.  No more vents on catchcan (which will screw up the tune under vacuum btw if you don't tune for it).  So far, my dipstick hasn't budged since I did that.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:46 pm

Hmm..funny you should mention trying it first..I was doing exactly that this morning,and yes,I have a bleed line from the top of the heat exchanger to the top of the reservoir as well (.040 opening) I looked up the specs on that Sorenson pump and it is 360gal/min which is damn good!  It could be the pump just could not pull through the system. and maintain a prime. I have reversed it on its saddle under the car,did a bit of plumbing..and will be running it in the option B setup after lunch to see how things go. Thanks for the tip about the dipstick  :H:  I shall secure mine from launch mode.... :D
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:36 pm

I asked about a catch can at the end of my build and was told to add it if I needed it, ... good advice.  So far, I do not.  I did have a rather ridiculous over the top thing designed and everything.

silver

Post by silver » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:43 pm

[quote="Norm"]
I asked about a catch can at the end of my build and was told to add it if I needed it, ... good advice.  So far, I do not.  I did have a rather ridiculous over the top thing designed and everything.
[/quote]

so you're cap is not venting into your air intake?  if not...great.

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:12 pm

I looked at the pictures .... it is a vented cap.

silver

Post by silver » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:15 pm

and yours vents where? into the air intake tube?

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:22 pm

Atmosphere

silver

Post by silver » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:27 pm

Nifty!

time to search the interweb...haha

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Norm,is that a remote air fill line coming out of your Masterlube canister?How come your canister is mounted there?Custom?

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:33 pm

[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]
Norm,is that a remote air fill line coming out of your Masterlube canister?How come your canister is mounted there?Custom?
[/quote]

To much other crap to mount it anywhere else I am afraid!  I will have to look on the car as far as the line, but, I think it just goes down to the gauge.  It sounds like I can drive it tomorrow!  Weather no suck for the rest of the week!

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:48 pm

With that cap you're sucking in unmetered air into your engine.  Under vacuum, the PCV is open.  No big deal if it was tuned that way.

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:51 pm

It was!

silver

Post by silver » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:51 pm

seems like his cap would have been installed prior to tuning....thus it was hopefully (crosses fingers) tuned that way.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:03 am

Whew..Got the stock pump pushing down the rh transfer tube to the heat exchanger and back along the lh tube to the engine single inlet.Air bleeds off the top of the heat exchanger for about 15 seconds and is gone..and pump is making happy sounds.I'm not sure how much flow is going through the engine,but where else would it go? ;D  I ran the air bleed line high,but it looks like I can run it anywhere as the flow is strong enough to push the air over any inverts and into the reservoir,so I will reroute it out of sight tomorrow.Option B is functional. I'll have to see how it all works on track from here. :tu: 
I still don't see how brammo got it so bass-ackwards... :-\    Next task is the 5th gear detent ...I have an idea... ;) 

silver

Post by silver » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:08 am

you have individual seats right mad?

it's relatively easy to route the bleed line under the center console.

start from under the car, there's room on the driver's side to push the tube up in between the factory coolant lines and the tub so it's fully protected....then from there run it inside the tub under the console, on the driver's side of the shifter, then from there you can either exit at the back of the console OR run it under the rear firewall depending on where you want it to go.