Fired up the Harrop conversion today...Ecotec Atom2

Heywood-Yablowme

Re: Fired up the Harrop conversion today...Ecotec Atom2

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:17 pm

I'm not going for more than 300whp. That's about what I feel the stock internals can handle in the Atom. I have a better exhaust than stock (3") and the better blower. Hoping for 300,but I am sure it will be at least 60whp more than I had. That will be just fine..I only need to pass with a little more authority.. ;)

silver

Post by silver » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:22 pm

[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]
I'm not going for more than 300whp. That's about what I feel the stock internals can handle in the Atom. I have a better exhaust than stock (3") and the better blower. Hoping for 300,but I am sure it will be at least 60whp more than I had. That will be just fine..I only need to pass with a little more authority.. ;)
[/quote]

sorry i got you mixed up with somone else who said they just want more then darth hahaha edited my other post

Gage

Post by Gage » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:38 pm

Well, the yet future new air intake temperatures and wheel horse power/torque numbers have got me completely hooked on this thread.    I'm looking forward to hearing about it. 

silver

Post by silver » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:42 pm

with the new intercooler  / pump / harrop swap and 3.14 inch pulley I hope we'll be staying under 130 IAT2's.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:12 am

I can tell you right now, the Harrop is working a LOT less to move MORE air than the Heaton.  The thing is whisper quiet,and my MAF readings are MUCH higher at the same rpm.  :tu: :tu:  Now, it's just a matter of how much you want to do with all that potential.. ;)  I can see Norm touching 400hp with porting etc...some of the Cobalt guys are already over that using E85 for fuel. :H:

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:29 am

No wonder the brammo 300 "package" never made big numbers. The way they have the aftercooler setup plumbed is just asking for trouble.They have the circulator pump pulling on the intercooler,waaay the f..hell  up in the front of the car..and luckily it didn't have much resistance to flow (that oil cooler) so it at least circulated some water till some leaked out.. What a setup. Just a little better than..nothing.  Upgrading that...micro pump in the back (Cobra)and may put it up front as a booster pump,and power it with the wiring from the old oil cooler fan. This system will flow. ;)
Damn the car sounds mean! My throttle blipper works perfect.  :tu:
I am expecting some passing power! My club is going to HATE me... >:D >:D >:D   

Fantasy Island!  :D

silver

Post by silver » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:50 am

I'm fairly certain you should eliminate the factory pump all together.

I'll try to use an analogy but my education on the subject is limited at best.

Let's say the factory pump = 30mph and the upgraded pump = 60mph......if they are in a semi-sealed loop your liquid will only go as fast as the slowest pump.

So if you have the one 60mph pump in alone your system can flow at 60mph

If you leave the stock one in, your coolant will go 60mph until it hits the slower pump where it will just get chopped up and slow down to it's 30mph limit. This seems like it would add undo pressure to the system and no benefit.

It would only work properly if you installed 2 upgraded or 2 factory rated pumps.

anyone else care to comment on my hypothesis.

positron

Post by positron » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:15 am

???

What would the air speed of a 5 lb flying squirrel if launched from 25 meters, at 72 degrees F, with a 4 mph NE headwind at 3:12pm GMT?

Kinda doesn't matter as the orifi (orifices), by their nature and purpose will only flow so much at so much pressure. What a bigger more better pump can do is pump better/more effectively at higher pressure(s). The original pump had zero, nada, zip, tolerance for air pockets or disturbance to perfect availability to water, just give it a reason to not flow.

The original hose routing was bassakards to the Slobalt routing, which is around here somewhere when someone *cough* else did this..

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:23 am

Yes yes..I know..booster pumps don't work. ::) In this case the original pump will be placed where the volume in the system will be just about right..if my calculations are correct. Yes,the laminova tubes have restrictions...if they didn't,they wouldn't work as well.Same thing with the heat exchanger.You need that turbulence/restriction to be there. The pumps are not positive displacement pumps,and they can be pushed through.They are centrifugal in design.All you need is a good,steady flow,even while accelerating quite fast.Pumps push MUCH better than they pull,and they can't pull air at all.The stronger Cobra pump is not that much "stronger" but it does have the ability to handle heavier loads better,for a longer duration.
  This should work.   It sure didn't before....and the car was sh1t-fast on track.even in 80 degrees.... :H:  hell..   I might even be dangerous this year...:D :D :D
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:52 am

factory flow is laminova tubes ------------------------------>intercooler----------------------------->pump---->laminova tubes

better flow is laminova tubes ---->pump---------------------------------->intercooler--------------------------->laminova tubes

right dad?

as seen here page 8 of 18 per dad's old post

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/pdfs/sidekit.pdf
Last edited by silver on Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

positron

Post by positron » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:14 am

don't forget the 0.040" bleed orifice, works magic..

silver

Post by silver » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:16 am

already installed ;D

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:39 am

Last edited by NormLarson on Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

positron

Post by positron » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:08 am

cool stuff..  :tu:

I especially like that it stops just right before the dipstick shoots across the room.. ;D

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:38 am

Option B as they call it,is exactly how I was going to route mine.Thanks for posting that link.At least I did figure it out correctly.With everything removed, and testing flow through various components,this routing gives the pump a constant "reservoir" of coolant.The way brammo did it,the pump was always pulling on the slowest section of flow;very easy to cavitate the pump.No wonder it worked so poorly.Why did brammo get it so wrong?  I will do plan B,but will add the extra pump up front to push the coolant back to the rear and up into the motor.Another 2lbs up front is OK with me. ;D

Very cool videos. :tu: