Fired up the Harrop conversion today...Ecotec Atom2

Heywood-Yablowme

Fired up the Harrop conversion today...Ecotec Atom2

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:45 pm

Got my Trifecta tune installed and the car feels like it want to rip the tires off the rims!  :drool:  However,the roads are covered in sand,salt,ice and snow..with more snow tonite..so it will be a while before I can fully evaluate the new power levels.The throttle is much more responsive,and smooooth! ;D  Exhaust does not burn your eyes any more.. :H:  Seems pretty happy.

What I do have to warn future Harrop owners about is....the total LACK of blower noise. Yes..the whine that everyone loves to hear...is gone.Zip.Nada,zilch... :'(  This thing is as quiet as a car with no blower.

Not quite sure how they did it,but it is stealthy! I could easily tell someone I removed the supercharger and am now normally aspirated.

Hmm... >:D

I need to do some fine tuning on the water/meth injection system and it should be all set for the track,once the glacier retreats.. :P

Not a difficult conversion for any D-I-Y Ecotec Atom owner. :tu:

NormLarson

Re: Fired up the Harrop conversion today...Ecotec Atom2

Post by NormLarson » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:55 pm

Yes, the stock pulley, .. the one that comes with it, does not whine ...  You have to port and go lower and make the blower work a little to get some noise

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:01 pm

I've got the 2.95" optional pulley,and am overdriving it a bit (20%) over stock due to the larger Super Damper Harmonic balancer/crank pulley,so it is spinning...I think.. :H:

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:09 pm

I am going by what the Cobalt guys told me.  We will see, my head is at the port shop ....

silver

Post by silver » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:40 pm

coolio, do you mind making a list of exaclty what mods you did in preparation for this swap.  I think it would be good for the other owner's (current and future) to be able to read a clear and concise 1 page thread on what's been done to swap to the harrop.

I will do the same when mine is done if you don't want to but it makes good sense to start now while it's all still fresh
Last edited by silver on Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

positron

Post by positron » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:40 pm

No whine!?! Pah... May have to send back and get a big ass turbo..

silver

Post by silver » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:43 pm

Dad,

I'll buy yours, $1500 sound good? oh wait UPS still holding yours hostage huh  :'(

positron

Post by positron » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:52 pm

Son,
mine seems to be unobtanium at the moment.

Dad

silver

Post by silver » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:57 pm

and their prices just went up $250....so I guess I won't be getting the "kit" with injectors and whatnot afterall.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:32 pm

There really is nothing extra needed to put the Harrop on.If you are just swapping out the stock Eaton,it really is a bolt on  swap.Injectors,harness for the injectors,Harrop(3.15" stock pulley) and a Trifecta tune. If you leave the aftercooler alone,that's all you need. However......that aftercooler is marginal to say the least. The brammo oil cooler is the shits..and the pump I am learning...the pooor thing can barely move fluid level,never mind moving it up a few inverts.It does it..but like a snail. Guess I'll be upgrading my pump as there is no sense in upgrading the aftercooler radiator if you can't push water through it fast enough to have any benefit. I have my stock coolant pump on the bench and this thing is weak! Maybe it was damaged running low.. or maybe it is another brammo el-cheapo sourced piece of junk...it says Johnson on it..made in Sweeden...I dunno..it sure is weak... :P
I'm gonna have to consult my Hydraulic/Thermal engineer friend about routing the aftercooler coolant system for optimal flow,it just does not seem right the way it is.. I guess...this thing is a plumbers nightmare..!!  ???
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:43 pm

did you change the air intake or are you using the stock air intake?

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:52 pm

Nope,stock intake.Hey,it's 3",or 75mm and that should be more than fine up to 300whp.Always has been for a 5.0 Mustang... ;)  I am using two stock K&N filters in a V formation for filtering.I made some end plates and just strapped them to the stock setup.
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:00 pm

take a picture of what you're talking about with the V formation, I can't see it in my imagination.

Things to consider
DDMautoworks installed the harrop with the stock intake / exhaust and only got 267whp
Norm installed the harrop with different intake exhaust and meth 333whp.

which do you prefer?

Gage

Post by Gage » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:23 pm

[quote="silver"]
take a picture of what you're talking about with the V formation, I can't see it in my imagination.

Things to consider
DDMautoworks installed the harrop with the stock intake / exhaust and only got 267whp
Norm installed the harrop with different intake exhaust and meth 333whp.

which do you prefer?
[/quote]

What intake and exhaust were used on the 333whp car?    Whose car got the 267whp?

What is your horsepower goal Madmax?

silver

Post by silver » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:28 pm

DDM did a car for someone that I'm not sure is on here but they either used their own exhaust (brammo header) or fully stock exhaust with the 3.14 pulley

Norm's car did 333whp and he's got Tom's side intake and the fortress performance exhaust /header combo with supertrapps and meth injection...I believe he said meth added 10whp or so

Mad's goal is 300whp.....and he's using the 2.95" pulley which let's say Norm used that pulley norm would potentially get up to 350whp IF the head could handle the flow...which Norm thinks it can't so norm's porting a head to slap in sooooon.

OK Gage I think you're fully caught up HAHA

I'm trying to copy the best parts of all scenarios....I already have the fortress exhaust..I'll have an air intake made to copy Norm and I'll use his tuner, and I'm not doing any internal upgrades which Norm did for safety....I'm also not going to try to get 333whp ...I'd be happy with 280-300whp and longer life on the stock internals.
Last edited by silver on Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.