Ecotec ATI Super Damper install and new belt requirement.

Heywood-Yablowme

Ecotec ATI Super Damper install and new belt requirement.

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:53 pm

If anyone is considering using an ATI Super Damper on their Ecotec be aware that the drive pulley is a larger diameter than stock,and will require a different belt, as it needs to be longer. The correct belt for either a Harrop or M62 Eaton (using a 2.95" or 3" pulley) is a 5060515,which is a Dayco number. The Super Damper is a great addition to even a stock motor as it dampens harmonic vibrations to a degree that the stock one cannot.The balancer on our cars also drive the oil pump gears,which have been known to break under racing conditions due to vibration. It is a tight fit on the crank,because it needs to be snug to absorb the vibrations.The pulley is an 8 rib,although ours only needs 6 of them,which will be fine. In theory,this larger pulley should add some HP, as it is spinning the blower about 10% faster.Not much,but it is a gain. I wish I had tried it on my M62 first,just to see the difference,but too late now. That is all.  ;D

CalScot

Re: Ecotec ATI Super Damper install and new belt requirement.

Post by CalScot » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:39 pm

I've had one of these for over a year. You can order them different sizes frm the manufacturer BTW. Mines was made to my size requirements as I am already driving my S/C at the limit.
They do work and this in conjunction with the rubber mounting I installed has by set-up as smooth as a babies bum, when it's not self detonating that is!

Heywood-Yablowme

Re: Ecotec ATI Super Damper install and new belt requirement.

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:47 pm

ATI had a surplus of these and was blowig them out on Ebay,so I paid $200,shipped,for mine. Not bad. :tu:  I run good balancers on everything I run on track and (knocking on wood..) have never had any problems. Cheap insurance against vibration fatigue failures..the silent killer! :H: