Ecotec tensioner and idler pulleys.

Heywood-Yablowme

Ecotec tensioner and idler pulleys.

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:34 pm

Anyone got part numbers to these, as they are not Cobalt SS components. I would like to upgrade the tensioner and idler pulleys to steel instead of that crap-ass plastic.I remember seeing someone had replaced them recently,but can't remember what thread it was. Thanks.

silver

Re: Ecotec tensioner and idler pulleys.

Post by silver » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:03 pm

that would be here.

http://forum.atomclub.com/https://atomc ... 95#p204995

now answer my darn questiosns :)

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:23 pm

It seems the tensioner is a 2006 Saab 9-3 part. I have one coming with a steel pulley and hopefully the steel idler gear as well.  I wasn't going to really change any of these but because of my ATI Super damper install,the stock belt will not fit,so may as well make it all new and matching.

.It seems the ATI pulley is bigger than stock,actually overdriving the blower.More boost without a smaller pulley. ;D 

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:05 pm

Correct part number for the tensioner assembly is 49281,which is a Goodyear replacement  unit with a much better pulley than stock GM.It is still plastic,but a better grade and design. The correct steel idler pulley is 49036,also a Goodyear number.This has a much better (stronger) bearing and fits in place of the stock one perfectly,IF you reverse the pulley and the inner mounting bushing to the outside and have the bearing ride directly on the face of the bracket,which will be fine. Consider this upgrade, as our setup is constantly pulling on this pulley as it is on the drive side of the belt between the crank pulley and the blower.(lots of pressure)  After 1k miles of track time,my idler was ready to die. Better safe than broke.. ;D  I'm putting one of these in the spares box as well :tu:

positron

Post by positron » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:14 am

[quote="silver"]
that would be here.

http://forum.atomclub.com/https://atomc ... 95#p204995

[/quote]
Son,
Thanks for being the only one who reads my threads. 
Dad

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:42 am

Yes,Dad,your part number crossed to the Goodyear number.Thanks.. ;)  I don't use Napa.  Wondeful replacement piece,and much more robust than that plastic POS. Now I feel the drive is pretty bullet-proof.
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gage

Post by Gage » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:41 pm

I love the great Ectoec information.  Thanks.   

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:34 pm

I feel a better solution is to remove it  ;D

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:29 pm

So what do you have,a teeny weeny 300cm belt looping over your alternator,under the tensioner and back to the balancer?

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:19 pm

Yup, exactly right.  Less to go wrong, and of couse less drag on the entire system

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:50 pm

Doc will get a turbo setup,and a fully built motor. Or,a 347..;)    I plan on pushing Max to the...max to see what it will take,with the blower setup. The Harrop may be too much for track duty on a stock motor.Who really knows?  One way to find out.... ;D  Maybe I can be the first to pop an Ecotec in an Atom.... :H:  What an honor... :P
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Radowick

Post by Radowick » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:12 pm

[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]
Correct part number for the tensioner assembly is 49281,which is a Goodyear replacement  unit with a much better pulley than stock GM.It is still plastic,but a better grade and design. The correct steel idler pulley is 49036,also a Goodyear number.This has a much better (stronger) bearing and fits in place of the stock one perfectly,IF you reverse the pulley and the inner mounting bushing to the outside and have the bearing ride directly on the face of the bracket,which will be fine. Consider this upgrade, as our setup is constantly pulling on this pulley as it is on the drive side of the belt between the crank pulley and the blower.(lots of pressure)  After 1k miles of track time,my idler was ready to die. Better safe than broke.. ;D  I'm putting one of these in the spares box as well :tu:

[/quote]

How come that bolt & washer looks off center?
Isn't there suppose to be a bushing in there to center it?

silver

Post by silver » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:27 pm

it kinda looks normal to me but the photo was taken at a top down angle....or maybe I need glasses.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:28 pm

That is an optical dillusion.. :H:  :D