Harrop install requires air temperature sensor modification

silver

Re: Harrop install requires air temperature sensor modification

Post by silver » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:25 am

toms air intake is a good option or we could slap a cone filter on the end of the factory tube like darth did OR we could fairly easily and cheaply copy toms intake
there are several options to convert to a conical filter

silver

Post by silver » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:29 am

ps I have a spare roto molded air intake I was going to use for this purpose unless we come up with a good plan for a straight pipe

positron

Post by positron » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:30 am

There 'ya go.. always thinking...  :tu:

silver

Post by silver » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:40 am

I have lots of spares....shocks front nose cone front radiator air intake exhaust catalytic converter....all sorts of spares  ;)

I was actually going to use the roto molded intake, chop it off at both ends then mount a conical filter on the opposit end where the 180 bend used to be which would move the MAF further away from the filter then it's currently located..........it was just a thought, didn't have a reason to go chopping it up until now.

Also with the 3.14" pulley will it suck more or less air in then the 2.8 on the eaton?  I was thinking it would be less but I dunno, Obviously it could be more which is maybe why  the harrop makes more powwwwah

EDIT***** just measured the stock piece, if I cut off the stock filter at the neck and cut off the 180 degree bend, I have either a perfectly straight 8" tube with the maf bung already part of it.......Or I can get an extra 2-3 inches if I take the part of the tube just before the 180 degree bend it drifts downward so it's no longer perfectly straight but it's a very insignificant bend, anyone know how long Tom's intake tube is, basing it on the pics, it looks like he's placed the MAF closer to the throttle body
Last edited by silver on Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:03 pm

[quote="Positron"]
Son, found out today stock K&N is subpar for increased CFM maybe even for your current tiny pulley, you'll need to start thinking about what your going to replace with.
[/quote]
Where did you find the airflow specs for the 33-2340? Since it is designed as an OEM replacement filter for Ford vehicles, it doesn't have detailed specs published like their racing filters.

positron

Post by positron » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:59 pm

I called them, they were quite helpful. They ran the calcs for me.

At 15psi boost at 7k we need 395cfm, this filter is rated to 411. Silver with his, unapproved tiny pulley is probably over. Harrop at 20 psi at 7,400 will need 616cfm. Glad I checked before I was wondering what was happening at 5,000 rpm..

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:54 pm

Good information!   That filter does look puny....what are the options if one wants to keep the scoop?How about two of the stock filters,mounted in an upside down V like this..^ with appropriate side panels to seal properly and one at the apex.Hmm..that would work.Im going to see what I can fab up.. ;D
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:52 pm

mad.....just chop the end off and attach a cone filter or a foam filter..

Search Darth's thread he did it a long time ago but I'm not sure where his post about it is.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:38 pm

CHOP? :H:    :D  I do see where you could just eliminate the whole  square box filter deal and attach a cone shaped filter element into the same area. Hmm.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:00 pm

I got a laugh out of this shot.. Image..

the filter could double as a head suppport... :D

I looked on the K&N website and there are a few 3" base cone shaped 6" long filters that would fit the bill...but I kinda like the the stock setup intake track..and I have been toying around with two stock size filters in the ^ formation,and it won't take much to make them work,and I think it will be advantageous to keep the filter(s) isolated from the engine heat....and... I don't know if I can take the hack saw to my intake tube... :'(
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:20 pm

You DO realize that picture isn't how the car looked, right?  Just making sure  :D

The filter is up inside the cowl, just like stock.  Its still isolated.  Maybe Positron will post up picture next week when he starts playing with this stuff, he has my old setup and is considering using it for his buildup.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:04 pm

When you cut the square holder setup for the cone filter setup,how was it isolated from engine heat,or is it not really that critical with the air that comes in the scoop?  I still don't know if I could get myself to cut the stock inlet as I know they don't exist any longer. The ^ setup looks like it will work out fine,and the hood/scoop setup will fit like stock.With two stock flat elements,it should be capable of any draw the Harrop needs. :tu:

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:17 pm

[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]I still don't know if I could get myself to cut the stock inlet as I know they don't exist any longer.[/quote]

Don't do it! I have a (the?) spare one, and I wouldn't do it to either of mine. However...

The thing that makes the existing one special is the whole geometry of the tube away from the supercharger. A stock molded U-hose should work just fine to get past the shock spring, which is the only reason the original flex hose wasn't a good solution. From the U, you can go to solid aluminum (like the original Brammo cars did) or to flex hose:

[img width=800 height=532]http://www.tmk.com/atom/oilchange/6F5S5639-l.jpg[/img]

silver

Post by silver » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:31 pm

[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]
When you cut the square holder setup for the cone filter setup,how was it isolated from engine heat,or is it not really that critical with the air that comes in the scoop?  I still don't know if I could get myself to cut the stock inlet as I know they don't exist any longer. The ^ setup looks like it will work out fine,and the hood/scoop setup will fit like stock.With two stock flat elements,it should be capable of any draw the Harrop needs. :tu:
[/quote]

I have a spare roto molded intake  ;) that unless someone wants to buy it from me I'll probably use that to chop up.