Harrop install requires air temperature sensor modification

DarthChicken

Re: Harrop install requires air temperature sensor modification

Post by DarthChicken » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:34 am

let me know your success in doing that.  Only time I've seen it successfully done was by using a remote pump.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:41 am

Many cars,trucks (and motorcycles) today have the radiator in an invert situation.They have air bleeds at these invert peaks. You MUST bleed these pockets of air off on the initial refill. If not,the pockets will hinder flow,sometimes stopping flow completely.Designing a system with the least amount of inverts makes this bleeding easier.

I do it every week.Each vehicle has a procedure for purging air from various locations.When bled,these systems operate properly until they are emptied and must be bled again.

I will have one high spot in the aftercooler area for bleeding air. Once purged,any small bubbles that may remain will discharge into the air pocket in the reservoir.

silver

Post by silver » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:12 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
let me know your success in doing that.  Only time I've seen it successfully done was by using a remote pump.

[/quote]

what if you put a T back in the back near the overflow bottle and then had a reducer coming off the T that would allow it to bleed air off at the highest point in the system (next to the bottle) and it would be kind of inline.......just a question b/c the 2 radiators I've found for up front don't have a bleed valve.

One of them has a nipple to be used for a temp sensor but it's on the bottom..........can I just install the intercooler upside down, then use that for the bleed valve?

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:37 pm

I tried that, the problem is that the air gets trapped down by the radiator.  So, you're doing a really good job of bleeding the system up by the engine with your setup, but end up with an air bubble trapped down lower.

Flipping the radiator over to put a bleed line on top would be a good move.  :tu:

silver

Post by silver » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:50 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
I tried that, the problem is that the air gets trapped down by the radiator.  So, you're doing a really good job of bleeding the system up by the engine with your setup, but end up with an air bubble trapped down lower.

Flipping the radiator over to put a bleed line on top would be a good move.  :tu:
[/quote]

ok Whew I have no idea if the radiators have to be mounted a certain way, here's the one I'm looking at.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWAX%3AIT

then just mount it upside down and either use the drain plug or temp sensor outlet to rig up the bleeder valve.

silver

Post by silver » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:55 pm

just found this kit online, not sure how much of it is usable but being that a harrop retails for 1850 and this kit comes with 80lb injectors and harness and tune and plugs for 1950, it's a really good deal.

additionally you can change your pulley size get a tensioner pulley, change your rev liimiter and even get a new PCM while keeping yours for only an extra 100....sounds like a no brainer, if anyone else is considering this as an option

http://www.ottperformance.com/store/pc/ ... 4p1121.htm

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:57 am

The belt won't be of any use,and I don't know about the tune. An Atom is much lighter than a CobaltSS and would be able to run more timing with less load etc.  I don't believe 80lb injectors are necessary..and some say they don't meter as well down below 3k rmps..but I can't say from personal experience.  It is a good price,though. :tu:

silver

Post by silver » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:16 pm

just seems for an extra $100 that they are throwing in a lot of options...whether we can use them all or not is still a quesiton

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:21 pm

[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]
The belt won't be of any use,and I don't know about the tune. An Atom is much lighter than a CobaltSS and would be able to run more timing with less load etc.  I don't believe 80lb injectors are necessary..and some say they don't meter as well down below 3k rmps..but I can't say from personal experience.  It is a good price,though. :tu:
[/quote]

then you call them and say "keep your crap, I just want the supercharger, whats the new price?".

silver

Post by silver » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:23 pm

its 1850....already priced separately which is why its a good combo

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:23 pm

then buy it all and sell it away.

positron

Post by positron » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:31 am

[quote="silver"]
just found this kit online, not sure how much of it is usable but being that a harrop retails for 1850 and this kit comes with 80lb injectors and harness and tune and plugs for 1950, it's a really good deal.

additionally you can change your pulley size get a tensioner pulley, change your rev liimiter and even get a new PCM while keeping yours for only an extra 100....sounds like a no brainer, if anyone else is considering this as an option

http://www.ottperformance.com/store/pc/ ... 4p1121.htm
[/quote]

Damn you Son.. I'm blaming you for wrecking my CY 2010 project budget..

Dad

silver

Post by silver » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:52 am

Dad,

are you also contemplating a switch to the dark side?  being that the harrop is darker then the stock eaton?

Respectfully

Son

positron

Post by positron » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:34 am

Placed order this morning.. Hope to get it shook out before LS early March. Otherwise before TWS in April, which you'd better attend..

positron

Post by positron » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:21 am

Son, found out today stock K&N is subpar for increased CFM maybe even for your current tiny pulley, you'll need to start thinking about what your going to replace with.