Harrop install requires air temperature sensor modification

silver

Re: Harrop install requires air temperature sensor modification

Post by silver » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:04 pm

Dave, what other changes should be done with the harrop swap?  Are 45lb injectors good enough? is the stock fuel pump good enough? Will the Stock atom air intake still fit?

New tune is obvious but what else should we consider..................I know the harrop is nothing new but for some reason I didn't really consider it until I realized it would cost me more to chase my tail trying to fix the heat soak of the stock supercharger then it would to just upgrade it.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:31 pm

You have to do a minimum of 60lb injectors,some suggest 80's.You will also need a different injector harness (usually you can get this with the injectors) You should upgrade the lousy stock brammo aftercooler and do something about the stock brammo header/exhaust,like replace it or modify it substantially to flow better.The stock brammo header has a tiny 2.25" collector passage, and no matter what you do downstreaam of that,it's gonna be a bottleneck.

silver

Post by silver » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:50 pm

max...you gonna respond to my PM or my post about the intercooler.....PLEASE :)

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:08 pm

The intercooler is off Ebay,and I'm not sure if the guy has any more. It was part of a Magnuson supercharger kit and he has been selling them new on Ebay,but does not have one currently listed. The brackets were made from 3/4"x1/8" flat stock,that I mocked up in place,tack welded and then removed and welded solid.I have't got hoses yet,but have some molded coming to choose from. The coolant jug is from Summit, #CTR80200.

silver

Post by silver » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:15 pm

ok that answers my questions THX!!

dave@ddmworks

Post by dave@ddmworks » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:11 pm

[quote="silver"]

Dave, what other changes should be done with the harrop swap?  Are 45lb injectors good enough? is the stock fuel pump good enough? Will the Stock atom air intake still fit?

New tune is obvious but what else should we consider..................I know the harrop is nothing new but for some reason I didn't really consider it until I realized it would cost me more to chase my tail trying to fix the heat soak of the stock supercharger then it would to just upgrade it.
[/quote]

Looks like MadMAxAtom responded back already, if you are looking at running the 85mm pulley, you will need 60# injectors, but the stock fuel pump will work fine as we did not need to change it doing the twincharge kit. The Stock atom air intake will fit the TVS also. As for the exhaust, as MadMAx pointed out, the choke point is the 2.25" collector in the stock header, but we did change the exhaust from there back and it did make a difference. Replacing it  really depends on your horsepower goals. The biggest reason to replace the stock exhaust from what we have seen, is to prevent it from coming apart at the flex joint and destroying the powdercoat. If 270-275 at the wheels was a target, I would do the header back exhaust and be done, but if you are looking to make more power than that, a full exhaust from the head back will be needed. Also the exhaust side of the head is not the best either, and has to be addressed for larger power gains.

So with the TVS, 60# injectors, tune and a header back exhaust on the 85mm pulley we made 265 at the wheels from 230 stock peak numbers, with a big improvement of 40-45HP under the curve in the upper RPM's. Not earth shattering, but a nice healthy gain with a conservative tune and some great drivability.

Also we have 60# injectors that plug into the stock fuel injector harness.

The biggest thing is to always sit down and figure out what power you want to get to, so that you don't buy parts that later you can not use.

Hope that makes sense,
Dave
Last edited by dave@ddmworks on Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:18 pm

Dave, do you offer a full exhaust?  will you soon?

silver

Post by silver » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:24 pm

Norm and I have a different exhaust from stock that is a completley new header design / primaries / downpipe and muffler ..it ain't pretty but it works.

here's the header prototype

and the exhaust prototyped

and I have the upgraded intercooler pump sitting in it's box waiting to be installed.

so choices are

intercooler in the hoop plus new air intake

intercooler up front and no need for new air intake (lots of options here) but I'm concerned locating the intercooler behind the radiator would not allow it to get any wind and would blow hot air from the radiator directly onto the intercooler...any thoughts there?

and realistically you should compare like your 5th dyno pull stock (which for me is about 200whp with heatsoak) to the harrop ...I mean to be fair the stock system heatsoaks which is the main reason a lot of us want something else to do here.
Last edited by silver on Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:32 pm

If you mount the cross flow aftercooler vertical and as far back in the recess as possible,there will be 18" of open air behind the main radiator.I conducted some tests with ribbons this year (at speed..) and found the flow through the main radiator is quickly out and up,with a LOT of fresh air spilling under the radiator/car and up as well. A small deflector will help with this flow pattern.

What happened to your intercooler pump,or are you replacing it with a better one,as in more flow?

silver

Post by silver » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:41 pm

I replaced it with the cobra water pump

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SVT-Ligh ... ccessories

seems like all the cobalt and cobra guys upgrade their pump to this so that it flows more liquid...so I bought one, with the larger amount of liquid in the system (with your intercooler) it couldn't hurt to have more flow.

I copied Positron.....it's his idea.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:42 pm

That looks like the same pump we have.Must have a better impeller etc..Hmm.  Thanks for the link!

silver

Post by silver » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:44 pm

it is also larger in diameter and has a higher flow rate.

mind you it doesn't come with a plug for $89.95 and the stock plug won't fit it

if you want the cleanest install you want this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bosch-Co ... ccessories

for me I knew I wouldn't be using it for a while so I can either make my own plug OR buy the plug seperately.

oh here's the plug seperately

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bosch-Co ... 4838d993db

and that same place sells lots of intercoolers...hmm :)

like this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Water-Li ... 48392719b7
Last edited by silver on Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lane

Post by Lane » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:41 pm

[quote="silver"]
I replaced it with the cobra water pump
[/quote]

Has anyone compared flow rate numbers for our stock pump, vs. the Ford Racing/Cobra Bosch replacement?
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:30 am

From what I've read online, our pumps are good.. very good.  The problem is that none of these pumps tolerate air pockets at all, they have zero ability to draw.  When I was playing with my pump when I thought it was bad, I found I could shoot water across my garage with it  :o

The key is to get all of the air bubbles out, and IMO the only way to do that is to have an air return bleeder line up at the front of the car that dumps its air into the resevoir.  Since I've added that line to my setup, I've had no issues at all with high AIT2 or air pockets, because the system is always bleeding air out and into the top of the resevoir, pressurizing it and forcing fluid back in the air pockets place. 

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:24 am

If you bleed the system on fill up properly,there should never be air in the system unless you spring a leak.