Ecotec replacement aftercooler and reservoir

Heywood-Yablowme

Re: Ecotec replacement aftercooler and reservoir

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:13 pm

I am convinced the main reason brammo saw zero benefit to the larger aftercooler was because they had the entire cooling system running backwards,with NO way for air to be bled off. I would be willing to bet there will be a good gain on cooling abilities IF the coolant pump is reconfigured to PUSH coolant foreward,and through the upgraded heat exchanger and then back to the motor.(option B as per GM) I was not willing to part with $600 (TMI) for the better radiator and went my own way.Time will tell if it works or not.

The benefits of an Accusump/Masterlube system for a track car are too good to not install one. TMI still has the brackets,Masterlube sells the 3qt. kit and the car is already wired for installation. Very inexpensive insurance against oil starvation.
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

s996

Post by s996 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:32 pm

I pulled the trigger on the Shinoo tune yesterday.  I will have to wait to get it all in, and installed.  I was unsure about the accusump or the cost.

Its finally up to 45 degrees here, I had forgotten what the sun looked like

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:39 pm

I don't think the Ecotecs suffer from oil problems like some track cars, as they carry 6qts on board and the oil is not spread out and allowed to slosh much.It seems to be deeper and contained in the sump more than most. I track with some very wide sticky tires and have seen NO oiling issues. Yes,I did add the Masterlube this winter,but it was so simple I could not dismiss the insurance factor of having 2qts. of pressurized oil ready to enter the system in case of a low pressure problem.

The Shinoo tune/Harrop setup etc is quality stuff :tu:
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:51 pm

Mine won't work at all, it was 3 inches wider than the description said, so we're going to make one that's 10X8X2.5 core so it fits deeper down than if I used a more rectangular one, it's going to be more expensive but it will fit MUCH more within the frame rails and fit up to the factory fan as well, plus mount into the factory mounting tabs.

Gage

Post by Gage » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:18 pm

[quote="silver"]
Mine won't work at all, it was 3 inches wider than the description said, so we're going to make one that's 10X8X2.5 core so it fits deeper down than if I used a more rectangular one, it's going to be more expensive but it will fit MUCH more within the frame rails and fit up to the factory fan as well, plus mount into the factory mounting tabs.
[/quote]

Are you saying that you ordered the same part as Max and it wasn't the advertised size?    Now you are hiring someone to make a heat exchanger?

silver

Post by silver » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:35 pm

the one I purchased is different then mad's as his is not available online right now, so the one I purchased was supposed to be .25 narrower than his and it's 2.75 wider or more, so it really hits the frame rails then the tubes stick out into the suspension.

So I'm going to have one made.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:38 pm

Just have your exising one cut down and a new end tank welded on.  Very simple that way.

silver

Post by silver » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:48 pm

unfortunately even my core is too wide, it's 23.5 inches wide, mad's core is 20 inches wide.

they listed mine core width as the exterior width and they listed my core as 21 inches, but that's not correct.

so basically I'll have to resell mine and start from scratch, which is really really not what I wanted to do here, My goal was quick cheap and easy.  I got none of the above.

mine will still be 2.5 inches thick, it will be narrow enough to fit down lower in the frame yet still taller versus wider and shorter so it fits in the same width as the factory but can stand straight up, and it will have plenty of room in front and behind it for the air to move around and I can attach the factory fan to it so it will push the air through.

what can you do, this is custom, I was trying to cheat and go easy but it's just not going to work, the cost will be similar to the kart radiator but 3.5 times thicker and 3 inches wider and have a fan, but won't have as much direct wind.

does cubic volume matter? I did a quick comparison

shifter kart rad is 60 inches cubed (from memory I could be off a little)
madmaxes is 210 cubic inches
the one I bought and can't use is 404 cubic inches
the one I'm making is 200 cubic inches.
Last edited by silver on Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.