Ecotec replacement aftercooler and reservoir

Heywood-Yablowme

Ecotec replacement aftercooler and reservoir

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:00 pm

I'm replacing the stock brammo aftercooler with this dual pass 20x7 unit,mounting it just in front of the bulkhead.It should get adequate air and work well. I also replaced the mini plastic reservoir with a nice alu one,freeing up space by the blower and adding some extra coolant to the system.I have some molded hoses coming tomorrow and really like the way it all came together. It should work much better than the stock system,especially since it was 1/2 empty when I took it apart.. :H:  Total cost for parts about $235.(including hoses)

New aftercooler assy..much bigger than the stocker..and dual pass design; like having two radiators in one!

Left side..

right side..moved some wiring and rotated horn foreward..

Underside...

Look out,Richard!.. :D

New reservoir fits nicely in the void in the seat tub and cap is accessible!;

Lots of room...

Next step will be to pop the new Harrop on.. ;)
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarthChicken

Re: Ecotec replacement aftercooler and reservoir

Post by DarthChicken » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:05 pm

excellent!  :tu:  Great placement Mark.  How are you routing the hoses, with the nipples on the side?

One thing to be aware of - that tank you're using has a steel cap.  I was using the same one with my water injection, and it rusted on the inside.  With some coolant in there it might be ok, just a heads up.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:33 pm

It's kind of deceiving in the photos,but there is a ton of room to route the 5/8 hoses off the aftercooler,and they will be 180 degree bend molded,so it should look clean.I was going to run them in front of the cooler...not sure till I get the hoses;I could run them either way.  The 5lb cap I have is stainless,so no worries. I'll probably run ELA in the aftercooler system because it does freeze here.

Once I rerouted the brammo rats nest wiring and rotated the horn foreward,I was amazed how much room there is in that radiator/under the fuse box area. I am thinking of mounting my water injection tank on the old aftercooler brackets, as there will be gobs of room there and the more weight moved foreward the better.I'll bet I could run a 2 gallon tank there,no problem. Mount the pump just on the inside of the bulkhead..and run the line up the console area. :tu:
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:16 pm

can you post part numbers and whatever you used for the intercooler adn for bracketry .....I've been waiting to change my intercooler for months now and this option looks AWESOME.

Gage

Post by Gage » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:13 pm

Wow.    That could be a huge difference in cooling potential.  Cheering your efforts!

silver

Post by silver » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:46 pm

[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]
It's kind of deceiving in the photos,but there is a ton of room to route the 5/8 hoses off the aftercooler,and they will be 180 degree bend molded,so it should look clean.I was going to run them in front of the cooler...not sure till I get the hoses;I could run them either way.  The 5lb cap I have is stainless,so no worries. I'll probably run ELA in the aftercooler system because it does freeze here.

Once I rerouted the brammo rats nest wiring and rotated the horn foreward,I was amazed how much room there is in that radiator/under the fuse box area. I am thinking of mounting my water injection tank on the old aftercooler brackets, as there will be gobs of room there and the more weight moved foreward the better.I'll bet I could run a 2 gallon tank there,no problem. Mount the pump just on the inside of the bulkhead..and run the line up the console area. :tu:
[/quote]

my water injection bottle is inside the cubby hole....I have an extra nose cone so I chopped off the bottom of the cubby hole and mounted the bottle in there....you sound like you'll be using a much larger tank mine's only a one gallon

Sagen

Post by Sagen » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:50 pm

Has anyone come across a part number for this radiator?

I've been poking around the inter-tubes and have only found one radiator of similar dimension.  It wasn't a dual pass though.

Thanks,

- Sagen

silver

Post by silver » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:56 pm

here ya go

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Aluminum ... 2c52e13fad

from everything I could find this is pretty much exactly what he bought.  I researched it as best as I could b/c I can't beleive the ridiculously low price...........but I ordered it it will be here in 2 days.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:54 pm

This is the one I bought.It is a Magnacharger dual pass unit. The guy puts them on occasionally with a buy it now of $99. Sometimes you can get one for less if you are patient,however,even for $99 they are a steal. Once the price of the auction goes over $75,the buy it now disappears. (I don't know why...) 
I have two, but will buy two more eventually for stock. I emailed the guy to see how many more he had,but he would not tell me. I guess I wouldn't tell anyone either... :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWAX%3AIT

Best of luck getting one... ;)
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:01 am

cool so the one I bought IF the measurements are all accurate is
.25" less length
.625" less height
1.125" thicker.

should be interesting to see if mine allows for a more vertical mounting if it is indeed shorter, I'm crossing my fingers.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:07 am

^I'm sure that one will be just as good, probably even better.With the addition of an extra set of tubes,(1" thick,vs 2.5" thick) makling the core thicker,it should be perfect,almost like a twin dual pass. The length and width difference will be of no consequence as you could stand either one straight up. I have mine angled foreward because I have "something" on my firewall that won't let me move it back 3" to position it vertical..(it's my secret weapon.. ;) )
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:11 am

I see that...looks like a solenoid of some sort.....

ok well if it can fit vertically and you simply chose to lean yours forward then that's even better........I think.......like I said I'll add the fan if need be...pushing air per your recommendation.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:15 am

I really doubt you will need the fan,but it won't hurt .Hell,that aftercooler is bigger than the main radiator!  :tu:

My molded hoses came in today.No pics,but it looks really clean.One vent for air.I'll fill it tomorrow and test things out. My tune should be here by the end of the week. Now...the looooong wait for clear roads and warm weather.. :'(
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:05 am

can you take pics of the hoses OR gimmie part numbers....and the vent you're talking about.

Sharing is Caring Mark :)

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:35 pm

The inlet and outlet of my aftercooler radiator are 5/8" diameter,so my part numbers won't help you. All you will need is two short lenghts of 3/4" molded hose to make the sharp bend from the outlets, in toward the tubes coming up from the rear of the car. Go to your favorite auto parts place and tell them you need two 3/4" molded hoses that turn 180 degrees and they can easily find them on the rack. You can then use 3/4 to 3/4 splices to go to regular 3/4" heater hose to complete the connection. My "vent" is just a flushing T fitting.When I bleed it,I will loosen the cap enough to let the air out and retighten it. I'll take some pics later. ;)