Brammo Ecotec right side engine mount

Radowick

Brammo Ecotec right side engine mount

Post by Radowick » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:00 am

Has anyone had any issues with their right side engine mount for the Ecotec?
While I was working on my car today, I noticed that my right side mount is slightly twisted. I don't know if it became that way from engine loads twisting on it, or if it has always been that way.
And upon closer look at the mount, it sure looks like it a bit on the wimpy side. In an attempt to save weight, Brammo cut lightening holes in it that just look a bit too big. It just seems to me that this is one of those parts that should not be skimping on metal. Plus it extends up so much that I can't swap ends of my right side damper because it would hit the mount.  I bet with just a few more ounces of steel, I could make a stifffer mount as well as 1/4" lower for damper clearance.

Lane

Re: Brammo Ecotec right side engine mount

Post by Lane » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:02 am

Here's what mine (PIN 094) looks like:

Can't say I've noticed any indication of twist, nor have I had any problem on this side when I inverted shock assembly.  Here was a side view to gauge clearance that was taken when the shock assembly was in its factory orientation.

Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

silver

Post by silver » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:41 am

Spanky!! we need to talk...have you checked your voicemail?

Radowick

Post by Radowick » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:35 pm

Lane,
  Mine is not flat & straight as I look down at the vertical face of the bracket that attaches to the engine via the round stand-offs/bushings.
  In your second photo, you shock body looks like it clears the top corner buy approx. 3/8 inch. That is what mine clears by. When I swapped my damper end for end though, it is the larger dia. spring that almost touches there when the car is at rest.  And when I put a piece of tape over that corner and went for a ride, I came back to find that it had been scratched thru. The suspension travel and bellcrank rotation allows the damper to move closer to my mount and hit it.
  If you look at your first photo, it has a very good look the mount showing that it does not attach directly to the engine. Instead, it has 3 standoffs in between the mount and the engine. The front standoff on the right is in clear view showing how skinny it is. I am at the very least going to make some fatter dia. standoffs. 

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:14 pm

I doubt your engine mount is twisted.  I think you're seeing an illusion.  Why can I say that?  Because the standoffs are plastic!  :laugh:

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:54 pm

^I'd have to concur with DC. Those mounts are built like brick shithouses. 
Here is a shot of how close my shock is to the mount.I had to grind a bit off one edge to get enough clearance for the Motons.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:35 pm

I did the same thing on mine when I flipped the springs.  ;)

Lane

Post by Lane » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:33 pm

[quote="Lane"]
... nor have I had any problem on this side when I inverted shock assembly.
[/quote]

Correction - I had not inverted the rears like I thought I had.  So, I cannot comment on the flipped fit.

[quote="DarthChicken"]
I doubt your engine mount is twisted.  I think you're seeing an illusion.  Why can I say that?  Because the standoffs are plastic!  :laugh:
[/quote]

Mine are not magnetic, but they certainly don't appear to be plastic.  They've got a grain to them like machined aluminum.
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

Radowick

Post by Radowick » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:26 pm

I took the engine mount off today. The spacers are aluminum, painted black. My mount is twisted, or warped if you like.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:33 am

Then I got the special lightweight versions  ;D