GM Service DVD can run under Windows 7 x64

Terry Kennedy

GM Service DVD can run under Windows 7 x64

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:50 am

I don't know if anyone else here uses the V200803DVDRETAI GM Service DVD which contains all of the info found in the paper Cobalt SS and transmission rebuild manuals, but if so...

I have figured out how to get it to work under Windows 7 64-bit edition. It is also running from a backup copy of the DVD as I don't want the original one to be damaged. Side note: Why on earth would GM make a DVD that can't be installed to a PC's hard drive or copied that's going to be used by auto mechanics in a rough shop environment? :doh:

Anyway, here's a screen shot. Click on the pic for the full-size version:

If anyone else has purchased the disc and is interested in the steps needed, let me know... And no, it's not running in XP mode - it is native.
Last edited by Terry Kennedy on Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

GNU

Re: GM Service DVD can run under Windows 7 x64

Post by GNU » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:10 am

Terry,
Have you tried running it thru Daemon tools emulated DVD player?
I haven't used it lately but the lite version is still free and claims that it supports Windows 7 (x64).

Daemon Tools is how I got the Volvo's workshop manual DVD to work without having the disc mounted :)

//Arvid

Terry Kennedy

Re: GM Service DVD can run under Windows 7 x64

Post by Terry Kennedy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:16 am

Arvid wrote: Have you tried running it thru Daemon tools emulated DVD player?
Yes. It doesn't work. I was unable to find anything that would read it into an image that would work - Alcohol 120%, CloneDVD, Blindwrite, etc. The best I was able to come up with was running from a disc copy and having the RMPS emulator enabled in Daemon Tools.
I haven't used it lately but the lite version is still free and claims that it supports Windows 7 (x64).
It is and it does - I've been using it since version 2.88 (back in 2001).