wheel allignment specs

atomizer

wheel allignment specs

Post by atomizer » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:07 am

Iam going in for an allignment for the atomizer and Im wondering where would I find the true spec sheet for the brammo atoms, if there is really a diffrence. Does anyone have one they may email me. Thanks!

Terry Kennedy

Re: wheel allignment specs

Post by Terry Kennedy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:40 am

[quote="Atomizer"]
Iam going in for an allignment for the atomizer and Im wondering where would I find the true spec sheet for the brammo atoms, if there is really a diffrence. Does anyone have one they may email me. Thanks!
[/quote]

I'm attaching 2 PDF files. One is the alignment spec from the last Brammo manual (09-25-2007) and the other is the spec that Hallett recommended during the first AtomFest. I'm using the Hallett one.
Attachments
Hallett_Alignment_Specs.pdf
(21.33 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
ArielUserManual_20070925_p53.pdf
(19.01 KiB) Downloaded 136 times

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:40 am

Castor? :D

It really depends on what you intend to do with the car and the construction of your tires. There really is no "true" spec. 

With my FA tires I run 1/16 toe in front /rear,2.5 degrees neg camber out back and 1.8 degrees neg in front.  I am sure the factory stock settings would be ducky for street use.

atomizer

Post by atomizer » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:05 pm

Iam running the Yoko A048s. Street use. Thanks!

dp35

Post by dp35 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:02 pm

[quote="Terry Kennedy"]
[quote="Atomizer"]
[/quote]

I'm attaching 2 PDF files. One is the alignment spec from the last Brammo manual (09-25-2007) and the other is the spec that Hallett recommended during the first AtomFest. I'm using the Hallett one.
[/quote]

Terry, that must be a typo in the Ariel User's Manual, where it says 1.5mm toe OUT in the rear.  It should be toe'd IN at the rear.  Rear toe out will lead to disaster, unless you're entering a drifting competition.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:16 pm

Actually, when I got my car from Brammo, the rear had toe OUT.  There's a reason people thing the Atom is a handful.. it is from the factory  :H:

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:59 pm

^Agreed! My car was almost scary set up to "factory" specs. Fine up to about 80mph...but after that is was not fun.

I would do 1 to 1.5 degrees camber all around,with  1/16" toe IN front and rear,for street driving.

Hellooo Newman

Post by Hellooo Newman » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:52 pm

[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]
^Agreed! My car was almost scary set up to "factory" specs. Fine up to about 80mph...but after that is was not fun.

I would do 1 to 1.5 degrees camber all around,with  1/16" toe IN front and rear,for street driving.
[/quote]
Funny, I always thought the general rule was toe out for the front tires, and toe in for the Rear tires.
Doesn't toe out in the front provide quicker turn in?

dp35

Post by dp35 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:09 pm

[quote="Hellooo Newman"]

[/quote]
Funny, I always thought the general rule was toe out for the front tires, and toe in for the Rear tires.
Doesn't toe out in the front provide quicker turn in?
[/quote]

Correct.  Most people toe out the front and in the rear, myself included.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:48 pm

I guesss it's all what you get used to. I hate toe out as it makes my car feel darty and nervous. I can't sense any difference in turn in between the two,so I choose the more stable feel of toe in.  That is why most cars are set up with toe in,including everything from the factories that are street driven. Must be something to it...

dp35

Post by dp35 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:09 pm

I guesss it's all what you get used to. I hate toe out as it makes my car feel darty and nervous. I can't sense any difference in turn in between the two,so I choose the more stable feel of toe in.  That is why most cars are set up with toe in,including everything from the factories that are street driven. Must be something to it...
[/quote]

Could be.  I wouldn't mind trying that sometime.  If only I had more time....

993rs

Post by 993rs » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:11 pm

[/quote]

I would say that my Atom 3 also gets a bit interesting above 80 or so, moving around a bit more than I like wih any sort of road irregularity.  Strong acceleration makes the rear end even more nervous.  I have been thinking of getting the alignment cheked, but have been wondering about the specs to use.  Any thoughts on whether an Atom 3 would use any different specs than a Brammo Atom?

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:02 am

[quote="dp35"]
Terry, that must be a typo in the Ariel User's Manual, where it says 1.5mm toe OUT in the rear.  It should be toe'd IN at the rear.  Rear toe out will lead to disaster, unless you're entering a drifting competition.
[/quote]

That info has been consistent, all the way back to the first draft of the manual that I got in June 2006. The table has been re-arranged a couple times, so several people at Brammo must have looked at it while editing.
Attachments
Owners_Manual_Rev_1_1_0_P19.pdf
(13.97 KiB) Downloaded 121 times

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:07 am

[quote="993rs"]
I have been thinking of getting the alignment cheked, but have been wondering about the specs to use.  Any thoughts on whether an Atom 3 would use any different specs than a Brammo Atom?
[/quote]

It is pretty likely that it is different. You should be able to get a good answer directly from the factory, along with any suggestions to change it to make it more suited to your individual wishes.

I'm not sure whether you're referring to tramlining or hopping around when you mention road irregularities. We have some highways here that have noticable ruts from trucks driving on them, displacing the paving material. The Atom can be a bit to handle on roads like that, until you find a spot that's out of both ruts. I haven't had any issues with the car hopping around on bumps / potholes.

McFred

Post by McFred » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:54 am

My atom arrived with toe out in the rear.  It would spin easily.  Changing the tires and doing an alignment really changed the car, but I'm not sure how much was alignment and how much was tire.  The rear was also riding the bump stops on the dampers.  Increasing the preload so the damper was near the middle of travel really helped the handling on washboard surface.