Atom 2, Starting help please!

Spikes-Atom

Atom 2, Starting help please!

Post by Spikes-Atom » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:07 am

For the life of us we can not get our car to start! I think something is wrong with the Immobiliser or Key fob. The battery isn't dead. The car will start and run if you push start it. We can jump a wire to the start and it will start and run. No luck starting it up going through the steps, turn on ignition, place key fab behind dash, and push the start button, No luck! It HAS started a couple of times normally but it doesn't happen often. The little Immobiliser light just flashes when you turn the ignition on, it does light up soild. What the heck is going on here? We just got the car and we are kinda bummed out! And honestly we would rather just eliminate the Sterling Immobiliser key fob deal all together! How can we bypass or disconnect it? That is a feature that we are not concerned about having. Does anyone have a wiring schematic? Maybe we are over looking something? Please help! Also if I'm asking for help in the wrong place please feel free to lead me in the right direction.

The car is an Atom 2 with GM motor if it matter any.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

Spikes-Atom

Re: Atom 2, Starting help please!

Post by Spikes-Atom » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:31 am

Yeah Im not really sure honestly. This is new to me, Ive been drag racing turbo mustangs for years so Im capable or working on the car myself, just don't know what to look for on this thing. Why is bypassing the immoblizer a bad thing? We are at no risk of the car being stolen or anything like that. I would rather hook the ignition to a key switch and be done with it. 

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:39 am

:)
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spikes-Atom

Post by Spikes-Atom » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:07 am

[quote="Guardian of the module"]
I am pretty sure the immobilizer affects more than just the starter circuit,if it actually does interrupt the starter at all. It usually is a pretty trouble free setup.I tied my fob next to the dash,up underneath,but accessible if need be. I also am not worried about theft. You could do the same.It is handy to have the system there for the rare time when I do need added theft security. Some day I may take mine to a car show or something.. :D
[/quote]

We have the fob on a key chain up behind the dash, something is wacked though.  ???

Spikes-Atom

Post by Spikes-Atom » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:08 am

I would also like to find a decent manual, the one it came with doesn't have much info. It would be nice to have all the GM specs for replacement parts and what not. Maybe even a wiring schematic.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:20 am

[quote="Spikes-Atom"]
I would also like to find a decent manual, the one it came with doesn't have much info. It would be nice to have all the GM specs for replacement parts and what not. Maybe even a wiring schematic.
[/quote]

What info do you want that's missing from the Brammo manual? [Note - there were quite a few versions of the Brammo manual, and newer ones generally have somewhat more info.]

You can get the GM manuals for the engine (look for a 2006 Cobalt SS - part number GMP06ANS) and transmission (GMPT06TURM). These are available from Helm.

There is no public schematic for the Atom-specific wiring harness that I'm aware of. And different cars had subtle (and not-so-subtle) changes, anyway.

For any given area, somebody has usually figured out the relevant section - if you're looking for specific info, just ask here.

Karl

Post by Karl » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:36 am

If I had to guess, I'd say there's something wrong with the bit of the immobilizer that disconnects the starter relay. If you can push start it, it means that the immobilizer is recognizing the fob and allowing the fuel pump to run. The fact that it sometimes starts and sometimes doesn't indicates to me that it's not a mechanical or power electronics problem.

Spikes-Atom

Post by Spikes-Atom » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:43 am

[quote="Terry Kennedy"]
[quote="Spikes-Atom"]
[/quote]

What info do you want that's missing from the Brammo manual? [Note - there were quite a few versions of the Brammo manual, and newer ones generally have somewhat more info.]

You can get the GM manuals for the engine (look for a 2006 Cobalt SS - part number GMP06ANS) and transmission (GMPT06TURM). These are available from Helm.

There is no public schematic for the Atom-specific wiring harness that I'm aware of. And different cars had subtle (and not-so-subtle) changes, anyway.

For any given area, somebody has usually figured out the relevant section - if you're looking for specific info, just ask here.
[/quote]

We got the 06 manual, not much info in it. I seen one someone else posted for an 07 Brammo and it had alot more info in it. I already got the Cobalt manual but doesn't list part numbers for things like the idler pulley, belt, ect..

Spikes-Atom

Post by Spikes-Atom » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:44 am

[quote="Karl"]
If I had to guess, I'd say there's something wrong with the bit of the immobilizer that disconnects the starter relay. If you can push start it, it means that the immobilizer is recognizing the fob and allowing the fuel pump to run. The fact that it sometimes starts and sometimes doesn't indicates to me that it's not a mechanical or power electronics problem.
[/quote]

We can jump the start and it will starter. Also tryed jumping the button, no luck there.
Last edited by Spikes-Atom on Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Karl

Post by Karl » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:50 am

[quote="Spikes-Atom"]
[quote="Karl"]
[/quote]

We can jump the start and it will start. Also tryed jumping the button, no luck there.
[/quote]

I would definitely give TMI a call on Monday and have them help you through immobilizer diagnosis and replacement.

Spikes-Atom

Post by Spikes-Atom » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:52 am

[quote="Karl"]
[quote="Spikes-Atom"]
[quote="Karl"]
[/quote]

We can jump the start and it will start. Also tryed jumping the button, no luck there.
[/quote]

I would definitely give TMI a call on Monday and have them help you through immobilizer diagnosis and replacement.
[/quote]

Who is TMI?

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:24 am

Spikes-Atom wrote: We got the 06 manual, not much info in it. I seen one someone else posted for an 07 Brammo and it had alot more info in it. I already got the Cobalt manual but doesn't list part numbers for things like the idler pulley, belt, ect..
In 2006, there was the "Rev 1.1.0" manual.
There are 20070201, 20070517, and 20070925 versions of the manual issued in 2007.

In addition, there were various supplemental manuals with documentation for specific procedures, like installing the wings, upgrading the air intake, and so forth.

You're looking for an illustrated parts catalog. Unfortunately, GM doesn't seem to make them available to end users. About the closest I've been able to locate is the http://gmpartsdirect.com web site, which sometimes (not always) has drawings for the part of the car you're interested in. The Ecotec performance build book from GM doesn't seem to exist on their web site any more - perhaps because they don't sell that version of the engine any more, or maybe because of their recent reorganization. The part number for the hardcopy is 88958728.
Who is TMI?
They're the current manufacturer of Ariel Atoms in the US. Additionally, they have most of Brammo's parts inventory. Contact info here: http://www.arielatom.com/north-america/usa/

Spikes-Atom

Post by Spikes-Atom » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:29 am

If I had more info on the motor it would help, year, make, model, ect. Also where can we pick up the newer manuals? We are looking to get a wing for the back too.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:22 am

[quote="Spikes-Atom"]
Why is bypassing the immoblizer a bad thing?
[/quote]

It isn't but having an easy to find set of instructions on the web would be a bad thing for obvious reasons!

I suspect the immobilizer will bypass two circuits, often the starter relay and the fuel pump, sounds like it is the starter relay bit that is missing from your setup.  Can you hear it 'click' off when you put the tag near it ?

Ben

Spikes-Atom

Post by Spikes-Atom » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:39 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="Spikes-Atom"]
Why is bypassing the immoblizer a bad thing?
[/quote]

It isn't but having an easy to find set of instructions on the web would be a bad thing for obvious reasons!

I suspect the immobilizer will bypass two circuits, often the starter relay and the fuel pump, sounds like it is the starter relay bit that is missing from your setup.  Can you hear it 'click' off when you put the tag near it ?

Ben
[/quote]

The fuel pump turns on, it will click when the tag is near it but it clicks on and off.