using a different aftercooler

MadMaxedAtom

Re: using a different aftercooler

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:52 am

A conventional centrifugal supercharger tops out at about 75,000rpm's (Vortech,Paxton,Procharger,Powerdyne etc)
Even with a cog belt drive they can barely reach 100,000rpm's.Besides,by then,they are almost on fire...

The Rotrex spins at 250,000rpms.It is capable of producing the same volume of air with much greater efficiency,and with less energy lost to heat (waste) and drag  (less parasitic HP loss)

It is by all intent a belt driven turbocharger. THAT is why it works so well.

For a supercharger.

Turbochargers are the best way to make boost in ANY rpm range.All you have to do is choose your turbo unit wisely.
Todays twin scroll turbos are THE ANSWER,if you need to be on the front line.

time for pie.... ;D

positron

Post by positron » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:13 am

Am I missing something here..  is anybody addressing the hot rad under the blower?

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:14 am

[quote="maverick1"]
Guys...you must remember that Bruce (bless his soul) is totally not interested in adding any more HP to the Atom. He is perfectly content with his 245 and doesn't think there is a need for more for anyone.
I am very curious about bolus's turbo setup.
I also am interested in the Rotrex setup. Does anyone know if TTS performance would be interested in buliding a Rotrex setup for the Ecotec?? Can't be that much different than the Honda one. I guess it depends on demand.
cheers
[/quote]

Mav,
TTS has no access to an Ecotec since I am not aware of any in the UK. I have included in at least three posts a link to a company in Lancaster/Palamdale CA, that do Ecotec/Rotrex kits. Has anybody ever actually looked at it or called them? I am not aware of anything about them, but thought it could be a potential source.
http://www.scdyne.com/

I for one am dropping out of the discussions on this Atom HP thing completely. When I have some constructive progress and objective data to share on my own HP efforts, I will PM the people that have shown genuine interest and who might learn from my mistakes. I am more than happy to have anybody PM me for any help I might be able to offer as well.
Good luck!

3Rotor

Post by 3Rotor » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:58 am

[quote="Mr.Toad"]
3R - that's exactly my point, with the wastegate you can allow a turbo to build to optimum impeller speed very quickly and then stay there by allowing any additional exhaust gas at higher engine revs to safely bypass the turbine, whereas with a CF supercharger the speed builds and builds throughout - one of the old problems of this design. 
[/quote]

indeed  I see your point.  I'm not sure whether they do this, but it is also possible to install the wastegate in the boost side of the engine (inlet side)   along with the dump-valve.  such a configuration should, on a rotrex setup, then be able to regulate the boost in exactly the same manner as if it was an exhaust driven system.

the thing with centrifugal compressors. If you overspin the spool, it dramatically drops in efficiency.  with 250K rpm easily reachable on the rotrex  that now does pose a significant issue...

from this you have 3 variables and a target.  the target is to be on that little 78% Iceland
this particular map shows the compressor to be ideal for no more than 1.5bar's boost (pressure ratio- 1Atms) and with about 22CFM's.

notice the spool-speed lines, with the 150000 rpm one right on top of the inner loop.....  now if the spool-speed was directly related to the engine speed, this would indeed pose an issue,  as you would want spool-speed to get up there ASAP, but then what.....

Id slap an electric motor onto that badboy...  ala Hairdryer style    ;D
Last edited by Guest on Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

NathanE

Post by NathanE » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:55 pm

[quote="MadMaxedAtom"]
A conventional centrifugal supercharger tops out at about 75,000rpm's (Vortech,Paxton,Procharger,Powerdyne etc)
Even with a cog belt drive they can barely reach 100,000rpm's.Besides,by then,they are almost on fire...

The Rotrex spins at 250,000rpms.It is capable of producing the same volume of air with much greater efficiency,and with less energy lost to heat (waste) and drag  (less parasitic HP loss)

It is by all intent a belt driven turbocharger. THAT is why it works so well.

For a supercharger.

Turbochargers are the best way to make boost in ANY rpm range.All you have to do is choose your turbo unit wisely.
Todays twin scroll turbos are THE ANSWER,if you need to be on the front line.

time for pie.... ;D

[/quote]

Max, thanks for that.  The additional speed thing is interesting and if the efficiency of the gearbox is right then I can see that it is cvlearly an improvement over the competitors.  I'm still not sure how that makes the Rotrex more of a belt driven turbo than a Powerdyne though as presumably you can just design the impeller to produce the same boost at lower rpm using a different type of gearbox?

I guess that the other thing I'm still not so sure about is how the performance of the unit varies accross its rpm range.  A compressor optimised for 250k rpm at engine speed of, say 8k rpm has the potential to perform very difffernetly when spinning at 94k rpm when the motor is pulling 3k a la graph from 3R. 

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:14 pm

What everyone has to realize is it's all about the volume of air you can squeeze into a cylinder.

A well designed turbocharger generates large volumes of air regardless of engine rpms,as their ability to create "power" is independent of  the engines rpms.(and yes,they do make more "power" with more exhaust velocity at higher rpm levels)
When they reach a set pressure,a waste gate bleeds off (it bypasses the turbos exhaust turbine) excess exhaust energy,unitl the intake system requires more pressure.

A belt driven supercharger requires the engine to spin it fast enough to generate a volume of air.That is why they are rated in CFM's,or cubic feet per minute of air movement at a given rpm.Spin them faster,andf they generate more air,BUT they also develop more HEAT,as they 'tear" at the air.

Turbos actually have MORE low end torque than most blowers...IF the turbocharger is sized properly and has good tuning.

The real key is tuning. Superchargers have been easier to tune for as their power delivery is linear.
Now that we have electronic boost control and many other components tuneable by the pcm,the turbo can show its real strenghts... :tu: :tu:

It is indeed a great time to be a motorhead!

scdyne

Post by scdyne » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:16 am

I would be interested in looking over an Atom in the So-cali area to see how hard/easy it would be to install a Rotrex system. I have designed a system to go on either the intake or exhaust side of the engine. I just don't know how much space is available now and how much would be made available by removing the M62 and intake manifold. One thing is for sure if the Atom's LSJ is using the GM stock liquid intercooler it may be worth keeping it over swapping out the whole intake manifold assembly.

I have some experience with rear engine systems. I have done work with some high profile UAV programs that use conventional automotive engines as pushers for the propulsion system. Including some work with the LSJ as a possible solution along with a turbo diesel and a twincharged diesel motor (M62 and Turbo). I understand that cooling is an issue for the engine, intercooler and oil cooler, but don't yet fully know what is necessary for safe operation. - That will take testing to know for sure.

I personally can't afford to just make a system from scratch, but I have no qualms about providing any support with my experience and access to manufacturing facilities.

I'm not interested in chatting up a debate over Turbo vs. Supercharger as a quick Google search will provide everyone with all the biased information they could ever need to stake claim to the best solution out there. Personally I like centrifugal superchargers for how they complement the natural personality of an engine - especially torque biased GM engines - however my all-our-drag Saturn is Turbocharged. In the past I have always used Powerdyne superchargers, but they changed ownership last year and my source for blowers dried up. When I heard about Rotrex a few years ago at SEMA I did everything to re-design my systems around those blowers. They use an internal planetary drive to achieve turbo impeller speeds and as a result can use both turbo impeller and volute technology. This results in a S/C with the efficiency of a Turbo and units sized for a small displacement engine. I'm of the opinion that increasing boost with RPM releases any need for traction control and by properly matching an S/C with an engine throttle control becomes the only driver input necessary. When all is said and done any system weather it be Turbo, S/C or even Twin Screw can be configured to produce a Magic Sales-Worthy Power Number and for me I like using Centrifugal Superchargers to do it.

-Adam Chant

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:27 am

thanks for posting Adam.  I was the one who sent you some pics of my car. 

What do you think about cooling for the Rotrex?  We currently have a inadequate oil radiator cooling the charge.  It is too small and oriented horizontally at the front of the car.  I'll run 179F AIT2 and at that point the engine is pulling timing. 
http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/intercooler.jpg

How is the heat generation on the rotrex? 

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:30 am

I can let you look at my car, though I'm not really on the market for this upgrade (can't afford it for a while).  At least you can get some dimensional data & ideas...

Gage

Post by Gage » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:59 am

Great Thread.  :tu: ;D

Gage

Post by Gage » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:58 pm

[quote="CalScot"]
I for one am dropping out of the discussions on this Atom HP thing completely. [/quote]

Just for the record,  I think that would be a crime CalScot.  You are one of the Pioneers in the Atom community.

langhale

Post by langhale » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:46 pm

I have the Rotrax system fitted on a very modified Atom mk1 / 2  Honda K20 engine.  The work for the rotrax was carried out by www.tracktive.co.uk a very experienced group of people and who also carry out this set up in grass track racing.

My set up is differant to calscots which may add to the discussions in the positioning of the aftercooler.  I have a bespoke radiator mounted in front of the standard engine one this feeds to a bespoke charge cooler in the rear pumped by an electrical water pump (always on).  Air is fed through the chargecooler from the rotrax.

It's set at about 320-330 bhp but a lot more can be achieved with a differant pulley and map - (hydra ECU is fitted)

I've added a heat shield between the exhaust and the inlet pipe that comes across the rear of the engine and the cooled air temperature during the height of summer on a track didn't go much above 40 degrees.  At present with the ambient cooler temparatures i haven't seen it go above 12 degrees and it is so very quick ;D.

The configuration of the air intake hasn't been changed at all in fact i love the roar and whine through it with the spitting of air back through it on overun, it sounds very differant and turns heads in the street!

So far a part from a few bracket changes the system has proved to be reliable with now 5000 miles covered since the modification, i don't know what increaseing the bhp will do to the engine but i will be adding about 30-40bhp in the spring to see ;D

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:16 pm

[quote="Gage"]
[quote="CalScot"]
I for one am dropping out of the discussions on this Atom HP thing completely. [/quote]

Just for the record,  I think that would be a crime CalScot.  You are one of the Pioneers in the Atom community.
[/quote]
Gage, don't take that too literally. Some post's are done with a few more glasses of wine than other's :P I was more frustrated with my own self for losiing my objectivity and starting to rant, at which point it's time for a break.

[quote="Benem"]
I have the Rotrax system fitted on a very modified Atom mk1 / 2  Honda K20 engine.  The work for the rotrax was carried out by www.tracktive.co.uk a very experienced group of people and who also carry out this set up in grass track racing.

My set up is differant to calscots which may add to the discussions in the positioning of the aftercooler.  I have a bespoke radiator mounted in front of the standard engine one this feeds to a bespoke charge cooler in the rear pumped by an electrical water pump (always on).  Air is fed through the chargecooler from the rotrax.

It's set at about 320-330 bhp but a lot more can be achieved with a differant pulley and map - (hydra ECU is fitted)

I've added a heat shield between the exhaust and the inlet pipe that comes across the rear of the engine and the cooled air temperature during the height of summer on a track didn't go much above 40 degrees.  At present with the ambient cooler temparatures i haven't seen it go above 12 degrees and it is so very quick ;D.

The configuration of the air intake hasn't been changed at all in fact i love the roar and whine through it with the spitting of air back through it on overun, it sounds very differant and turns heads in the street!

So far a part from a few bracket changes the system has proved to be reliable with now 5000 miles covered since the modification, i don't know what increaseing the bhp will do to the engine but i will be adding about 30-40bhp in the spring to see ;D

[/quote]

For the record, I believe Benem is the true poineer of the Rotrex on a Honda Atom. I was researching the Rotrex when Bruce led/linked me to Benem. Benem was very helpfull and provided me photo's, info and the link to Tracktive. I called Tracktive and researched the Hydra ECU. It all led in a roundabout referal to TTS, who made my kit. I am not so sure I would have the Rotrex on my Atom if it were not for Benem's experience and his willingness to help and provide the details.

The main difference between Benems and mine is the Intercooler design. As he pointed out he has a liquid to air system, as in the Ecotec, (but his actually works) and mine is air to air. Benems ECU is a Hydra ECU. Much much better than the MBE unit and probably on par with the Hondata on several levels and ahead on some. What Is very comforting is that he has some 5K miles on the S/C system and no problems.

It is interesting that both intercooling systems work. My initial efforts were focused on simply replicating as much of Benems design as possible. Why reinvent the wheel? But then when you start looking at the heat transfer needs of a 350HP forced induction system and a 450HP system and add in that my average summer ambient temps are around 95f in summer, with 115+f on summer track days in the desert,(all our tracks are in the hottest part of CA) the disparity becomes an engineering challenge. I looked at all sorts of cooling ideas. From a redesign of the whole front of the car to get bigger coolers, to adding a big pump and piping the entire underside of the tub with finned and vented coolant tubing, but even the most inventive looked like the summer track days were going to be beer drinking days' as opposed to driving because each "calculated" effective heat transfer solution came with to much other baggage. TTS performace (Richard Albans) looked at all the stuff I was worried about and came up with the design I have now. Air to air, very short/low volume piping, best possible airflow on intercooler position and the biggest intercooler we could build for the space. Was this the best solution? I have no idea. I ended up trusting & just going with it. It made sense at the time to me (and I was sober). I have just over 700mls on mine and it's now in for the desperately needed ECU and some engine stuff to keep it in one piece. When I complete the "project", I will have added an external oil cooler for the engine and a water injection system for really hot days as a saftey backup. Some of this is trial and error and as much of an art form as it is objective science.

It does make for two really fast Atoms though ;D

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:46 am

If I ever get my hands on a second hand GT-40 drivetrain.... I'd just ruin an Atom! ;D

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:18 pm

I have a question of those "in the know". a 250K turbine asks a great deal of the bearings. My dental high speed turbines turn between ~300K- 500K rpms and require turbine replacement fairly often due to bearing failures. Of course, they are heat/steam sterilized several times daily so that is not an apple to apple comparison. Does anyone have any ideas as to the useful life of the bearings and are they easy to replace? Also, how are thet lubricated and are they prone to coking like a typical turbo bearing is? BTW, Happy Thanksgiving to all my Atom friends! :tu: