HPtuners

RyanD

Re: HPtuners

Post by RyanD » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:35 pm

[quote="bolus"]
Went by a tuning shop today too see if they could connect.  They were able to connect but said the standard log file looked very short and had some weird stuff in it like "GM V8" and the VIN was in a weird ascii text.  They are going to send the log file to hptuners to see what they say. 
[/quote]

Let's hope it will work.  Or maybe they can figure out how to start with a standard Cobalt ECU and edit that.

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:39 pm

that is plan B but I hate to spend another $400 on a new ECU

cranius

Post by cranius » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:50 pm

Any updates on the HPTuners front? This is really exciting stuff and I'd love to hear a more complete write-up of what happens when you try to use HPTuners on our "stock" ECUs. Please? :)

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:33 am

No updates from me.  The tuning shop that scanned my ECU to send to HPtuners hasn't got back to me yet

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:19 am

I'll talk to my friend tomorrow. Hopefully he can come over and give me a hand with the Axle and we'll try to flash it with HP Tuners.

Kempo

Post by Kempo » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:34 pm

Any news from HP Tuners?

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:24 pm

I haven't heard anything.  I'll give them a call if I have a chance

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:22 am

[quote="Kempo"]
Any news from HP Tuners?
[/quote]
Hey Kempo, isn't time to change the pic on your avatar to one with an Atom on it? Do you still have the RX7?
cheers

Kempo

Post by Kempo » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:17 am

I guess you are right Mav. Yes I still have the 7. I think that as soon as the Atom gets a few more HP it will be able to take the place of the 7 in my garage and my avatar. As soon as that happens it will be changed. The feeling of those 430WHP on the 7 are sill too much for the Atom. The Atom is faster in the bends but in the straight the 7 is a whole different thing. I have my HP tuners here but there is no connection betwen the ECU and the HP tuners interface. I contacted them and they told me I need a wiring diagram to see if there is power in the connector. Here is a copy of the emails.

I will have to check with the manufacturer for a diagram.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: "'hugo rodriguez'" <hugorodriguez
Subject: RE: HPTuners.com Product Contact Request - 430
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 20:14:52 -0400

Hugo,

It sounds like the interface isnâ??t receiving power through the diagnostic link.  On GM applications, the radio fuse or cigarette lighter fuse is usually the one that powers the connector.  Do you have a wiring diagram for this car?

Thank you,

Jay Payson

HP Tuners

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 5:14 PM
To: jay@
Subject: RE: HPTuners.com Product Contact Request - 430

Hi Jay,

I ordered the HP tuners. When I try to read my atom ECU I always get an error. telling me to make sure the ignition is in the on position. Here is a info log I got from the car.

Operating System: Windows XP
Microsoft .NET: 1.1.4322.2407

VCM Suite Product: VCM Editor 2.1.18.0
VCM Suite Key:
Credits purchased: GM - 8 Ford - 0 Dodge - 0
Credits used: GM - 0 Ford - 0 Dodge - 0
Credits available: GM - 8 Ford - 0 Dodge - 0

License slots available: 408

No Vehicle Licenses

ID:
Date: 05/22/07
Hardware: 121
Firmware: 112
Part Number: 6220
Rom Status: 0 3F 0 82 0 1 0 FC FF
SPI Info: 20 15 FF FF 4E 41 0 0
Config: CC 88 0 0 0 C0
System Status: F7 0 0 1
Comm. Status: 0 0 0 0 0
On Time: 0:09:59.00,  0:51.585

Type: Unknown
VIN: ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ
VCM ID: 6150
BCC: YLAU
ECM Seg 1 ID: 12610648
ECM Seg 2 ID: 12610648
ECM Seg 3 ID: 12610648
ECM Seg 4 ID: 12610648
ECM Seg 5 ID: 12610648
ECM Seg 6 ID: 12610648
ECM Seg 7 ID: 12610648
ECM Seg 8 ID: 0
ECM Seed: 0

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:37 am

There is no power on the standard OBD connector on the 2005-2007 cobalt ss and 2005-2006 Redline Ion.  Our port is not powered.  Tell them that the OBD port is wired the same was as a 2005 cobalt.  I can probably look up this wiring schematic in my cobalt service manual

That info looks every familiar to what I caught a brief glimpse of at my tuning shop

Kempo

Post by Kempo » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:45 am

Thanks for the quick reply Bolus. I will tell them and let you guys know.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:21 am

[quote="Kempo"]I have my HP tuners here but there is no connection betwen the ECU and the HP tuners interface. I contacted them and they told me I need a wiring diagram to see if there is power in the connector. Here is a copy of the emails.

I will have to check with the manufacturer for a diagram. [/quote]

I assume the connector you're talking about is the OBDII connector? Yes, it is powered and un-powered code readers such as the ones AutoZone lends out can pull codes. However, the CAN bus is not wired to that connector on Atoms. If HPtuners needs the CAN interface, you'll need to extend it to the OBDII connector yourself. The CAN bus wires do come up to behind the dash from the ECU in the back (but see important note below), but those wires don't connect to anything at the dash end.

If HPtuners needs the CAN bus, reply here and I'll give you the wire color codes in the harness as well as what pins they need to go to on the OBDII connector, as well as a vendor source for the pins.

IMPORTANT NOTE: On at least one Atom with the Masterlube oil accumulator option, Brammo disconnected these wires at the ECU end and used them to supply power to the Masterlube solenoid. If you have a car with the Masterlube, you'll need to trace out the wiring to make sure those wires go where you expect them to.

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:39 am

My interceptor gauge manual said the cobalt ss OBD connectors are not powered and that I would need to connect and extra lead straight to the battery to run the gauge.  So this may be the power that the hptuner connector is needing

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:55 am

[quote="bolus"]
My interceptor gauge manual said the cobalt ss OBD connectors are not powered and that I would need to connect and extra lead straight to the battery to run the gauge.  So this may be the power that the hptuner connector is needing
[/quote]

Well, it isn't powered with the ignition off, but it is powered when the car is on. Perhaps it doesn't supply enough power for the interceptor. I note that the newer (V3.0) interceptor manual no longer contains the note about needing separate power on the Cobalt SS/ION Red Line.

If you look at the OBDII connector to see what pins are inserted, you can tell what protocols it is wired to support. Pins 5 and 16 are ground and power, respectively, and are always present. If you have pin 7 and optionally pin 15, you have support for the ISO or KWP protocols. If you have pins 6 and 14, you have support for the CAN protocol. If you have pin 2 and not pin 10, you have support for the VPW protocol. If you have both pins 2 and 10, you have support for the PWM protocol.

I don't have my Atom here to check, but I believe it is set up for ISO only on the connector. As I mentioned in my earlier post, CAN is present in the Atom but not wired to the OBDII connector.

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:50 pm

[quote="bolus"]
[/quote]
bolus I get a good laugh every time I see your avatar. It actually looks like you just broke out of an insane asylum and have an ax in your hands looking for your next victim.
P.S. please make sure you bring all your detailing products to Atomfest. LOL LOL
cheers