Carbon Fiber light housings

Terry Kennedy

Re: Carbon Fiber light housings

Post by Terry Kennedy » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:23 am

[quote="silver"]
Jammer what part of your's was falling apart?Mine are a solid metal plate that the bulb sockets sit in, then the plastic cover onthe back is just that a plastic cover, it brings nothing to the party except to hide the wiring.  Looking at mine, I don't see how they could break, but, what I do see is that they don't fit tightly at all and you can see the wiring easily through the gaps. The metal part is functional, and it fits the LED bulbs I bought at autozone just fine, but the plastic parts don't fit snuggly around the metal (that's the least of my worries), will they break no, do they look good no, do they provide a good amount of visibility no......If there is going to be a replacement I would pray that there would be reflectors inside to allow the bulbs to be brighter so that people can see them much easier.
[/quote]

On mine, the "madonnas" on the back deformed from the heat. The white plastic the bulb sits in cracks where the lenses screw on (the Brammo solution is longer screws to get to parts of the plastic that haven't cracked). The bulb makes erratic contact with the base, exacerbated when the lens screws are fully tightened.

I wouldn't mind something that looked exactly the same, but worked. I expect Brammo is constrained to use the UK parts that Simon likes.

Karl

Post by Karl » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:03 am

[quote="Terry Kennedy"]I expect Brammo is constrained to use the UK parts that Simon likes.
[/quote]

And that come on just about every other UK SVA car imaginable.  You'd think Land Rover give these lights away for free or something, considering how crappy they are and how widespread their use is.

Alec

Post by Alec » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:14 am

The part that usually breaks is the cover where the central retaining bolt pulls through as it's very, very thin due to the complex vacuum formed shape.
Attachments
coverbroken.jpg
coverbroken.jpg (47.32 KiB) Viewed 292 times
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Thu May 03, 2007 12:10 am

Project cancelled until I can get my hands on hosuings.. no luck yet (not sold seperately, at least not stateside). Anyone have any ideas?

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Thu May 03, 2007 1:10 am

[quote="Jammer"]
Project cancelled until I can get my hands on hosuings.. no luck yet (not sold seperately, at least not stateside). Anyone have any ideas?
[/quote]

Do you have at least one good one left? Why not just spray some baking spray (Pam, etc.) on it and press it into a box with liquid plaster of paris (after covering the mounting hole, of course)? Then repeat on the inside if needed. That will give you a nice plaster mold where you can make copies, or just lay carbon fiber up on the inside of the outer mold.

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Thu May 03, 2007 2:19 am

Were "considering it"  I guess this was my initial reaction to just finally getting an answer as to their lack of availability.  Just a hitch we didnt expect... I suppose its not a big deal if all 4 corners are the smae...I havent even looked... I assumed there were some minor fittment differences...but now that you point out the obvious.....

Monza

Post by Monza » Mon May 07, 2007 4:45 pm

Jammer,
i have a new spare UK cover, do you want me to send it to you ? you can do what you want with it.
Jean-Pascal
Atom 3.5 310 Honda LHD

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Mon May 07, 2007 9:26 pm

Monza YES... I'd be happy to pay for it...once received we will mold and make some CF versions.... I will PM you my address.

Monza

Post by Monza » Mon May 07, 2007 9:54 pm

PM made, cover sent tomorrow for you ...free, it helps the community  :angel: :angel: and ... i don't pay for it  ;D ;D ;D
Jean-Pascal
Atom 3.5 310 Honda LHD

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Mon May 07, 2007 9:58 pm

[quote="Monza"]
PM made, cover sent tomorrow for you ...free, it helps the community  :angel: :angel: and ... i don't pay for it  ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

Atta boy!  You've got the spirit!  I, for one, cannot wait to see what the good Jammer can come up with.  I would think there would be a strong demand for a c/f version of this troublesome part.  It's no big deal really, just annoying to have that sort of cheap plastic eye sore on such a beautiful car.

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Tue May 08, 2007 3:23 am

As I told Monza, we will make them..one way or another..as busy as life is. I cant promise i will own my Atom forever as its still low 40 degrees here in NY at night (when i drive) and its getting annoying!  Unfortunately Im frusterated with the weather as my "free time" during the year tends to be April may, early june weekend nights..then the family vacations kick in and work gets racheted up.  This weather has really put a damper on my enjoyment!  But, the housings will be on the bench before long.

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue May 08, 2007 4:40 am

so... can I send money yet??

Great night tonight in Portland. 70 at Dusk, drove around in the countryside watching the sunset and the stars come out.  Got hit by a bunch of bugs in the face.  Great stuff!

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Tue May 08, 2007 5:02 am

LOL, money for the Atom maybe!  I imagine it'll be a good bit before housing is received from UK, much less made...hold your feathers!

Monza

Post by Monza » Wed May 09, 2007 9:02 pm

sent to you today ... in some days you'll have to work for the community  ;D ;D
Jean-Pascal
Atom 3.5 310 Honda LHD

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Sun May 13, 2007 3:07 pm

Thanks my fine Frenchman.