Stock Intercooler Temps

Bottoz

Re: Stock Intercooler Temps

Post by Bottoz » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:06 pm

Cool Beans.

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:23 pm

Ok... Here's another thing that may help. The stock cap on the intercooler fluid filler is only a 5psi cap. There's not much room for expansion when the system is full and cold. So, we may be losing fluid once the system is pressurized. After every lapping session last weekend, I had to add fluid to the intercooler filler because the fluid was below the "T" fitting once the system cooled. Upgrading to THIS 15psi cap may help.

*edit* Available at NAPA for $7.19. NAPA part number HERE.

*EDIT AGAIN* --- The cap pictured above is too large for our intercooler fluid filler.
Last edited by Bottoz on Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:13 pm

Interesting, I had to fill mine this weekend too

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:16 pm

Be careful guys.  Lots of WRX's have blown the seals on their radiators doing this sort of thing.  We need to find out what the radiator is rated at, along with the fittings before you pressurize these things too much, otherwise you're gonna have issues.

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:26 pm

The heat exchanger is an Oil/Tranny cooler. Those things are rated pretty high. But, I'll keep an eye on it. The junctions are easy to see.... up front on the heat exchanger and pipes, rear pipes/hose connections into the end plate, pump near the oil pan, and connections to the filler. 15psi isn't that much for coolant lines, plus if it gets above that then the cap will do it's job. The system is obviously reaching 5psi... so we'll see if 15psi keeps the fluid from escaping thru the cap/overflow line. Plus, this cap is made for the Cobalt SS... just an upgrade.

Darth, I'm still eagerly awaiting your Dyno Sheet!

*edit* found it. 200psi :)

http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id=pr ... at=&pid=75
Last edited by Bottoz on Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:20 pm

BZZZZT. Wrong Answer. The cap pictured above is too large. I'm researching a viable solution.

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:53 am

Alot of colbalt owners are adding some new "Cobra" exchanger or something ..with great outcomes. 

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:56 am

Yep... I sold my stock Cobra Heat Exchanger to an ION Redline guy. Basically, its just another Heat Exchanger they run in series with their stock one to add extra cooling to their system. I really really want to buy the Brammo factory upgrade unit. But my patience is wearing thin. :(

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:58 am

Water injection Bottoz... DDoooo eeittt.  I'm gonna order mine and a 2.7" pully here in about 2 week  :tu:

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:37 am

[quote="Bottoz"]
Yep... I sold my stock Cobra Heat Exchanger to an ION Redline guy. Basically, its just another Heat Exchanger they run in series with their stock one to add extra cooling to their system. I really really want to buy the Brammo factory upgrade unit. But my patience is wearing thin. :(
[/quote]

Is mine "upgraded if it was built in Janurary.. or is there a newer one?

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:39 pm

You have the standard Jammer.  There is one that looks a LOT like the stock radiator turned on its side that went on the atom race car things (those 8 cars... can't remember what it is... too early)

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:51 pm

Those are the one's I saw when I picked mine up in February. I've been asking Brammo when they'll sell me one. They keep saying 'wait'.

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:11 pm

Hmmm, I wonder if it'll end up as part of the package to retreive some peoples missing HP.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:33 pm

You're chomping at the bit as bad as I am Jammer.  Trying to decide which parts to buy, which ones not to buy, so that you don't screw up and buy something that Brammo will give us to get us to 260whp.

BTW... I'm almost possitive we have the 76mm pulley thats on the stage3 gm setup.  Which which is supposed to get you to 248chp, or 260chp on 100 octaine.  Not 300chp.  And we have the 3" tensioner (which is good).  And I'm almost 100% sure the 42lb injectors (which should be close to maxing out).  And I'm pretty sure the new injectors/reflash will come with the 60lb injectors.  And yes I'm speculating wildly on what we will and won't get, but I gotta believe 2.8" pulley, injectors, and reflash are gonna be needed, and possibly the increased capacity charger cooler.

And I checked to see if we could bump the rev limiter the way you can on the GM stage 3 ecu (via throttle position).  Nope.  All well.. it was worth a shot :)