Ecotec replacement aftercooler and reservoir

silver

Re: Ecotec replacement aftercooler and reservoir

Post by silver » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:55 am

[quote="Terry Kennedy"]
[quote="silver"]
MAD quick question....my particular atom has the fan sucking hot air off the front rad whereas the UK models have it pushing air...I'm sure we could remount the fan on the front to push into the radiator are you going to do that? or is your fan already mounted on the front.....this is where my concern was so maybe an additional answer is to move my fan to the front.[/quote]

Early Brammo cars have the radiator in front. This was a real pain for me as I had to take a cutting wheel to the last Brammo CF nose ever made to get it to fit, since my Atom has a very different geometry up there.
[/quote]

are you saying early cars had the fan behind(pulling) the rad and later ones have the fan in front (pushing) mine's 0060 (which I consider later model) and the fan is behind set to pull hot air off the rad.

am I understanding you changed yours from pull to push?

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:10 am

My Anti siphon/shut off valve is mounted 3" off the discharge nozzle. :tu:    All my Atoms have the fan in the rear of the radiator.(#39,103 and 121) Unless you do stop and go traffic, the fan is not doing much anyway,although I do idle my car back in the pits till the temps drop below 185, and the fan is a def help.

silver

Post by silver » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:21 am

[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]
My Anti siphon/shut off valve is mounted 3" off the discharge nozzle. :tu:    All my Atoms have the fan in the rear of the radiator.(#39,103 and 121) Unless you do stop and go traffic, the fan is not doing much anyway,although I do idle my car back in the pits till the temps drop below 185, and the fan is a def help.
[/quote]

In Texas though...in the summer...you stop for 5 seconds at a stop light....boom 200 degrees...then the fan kicks on and instantly back to under 185....instantly being under 1 minute.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:48 am

[quote="silver"]are you saying early cars had the fan behind(pulling) the rad and later ones have the fan in front (pushing) mine's 0060 (which I consider later model) and the fan is behind set to pull hot air off the rad.

am I understanding you changed yours from pull to push?[/quote]

No. It was always in front of the radiator and pushing. Brammo changed it very early on (but after my car was built) to mount on the back and pull.

silver

Post by silver » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:51 am

ok ok gotcha

positron

Post by positron » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:52 am

I think I'm the only one doing it dry.. not a fan of the spray.. tuning and 100 octane is my poison.

If I run out of 100 octane it stops in one piece, if you run out of windshield wiper fluid.. you spill 6 qts of oil with big chunks of aluminum on the track in a narrow band until you stop..

I can tell you, with data, that if the oil rad fan is blowing down it will ADD calories to the water from the front rad.

silver

Post by silver » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:49 am

actually if the harrop works out I plan on removing the water injection as it proved to offer me zero results (running water only) while using the HEATON...so if the intercooler / harrop swap gets me below 130...then I have no need to use water injection....as I don't wanna run meth at this time.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:47 am

Just don't run out of meth... ;) (I have a level indicator)  The advantages of the juice are too great not to take full use of the technology.Plus it's inexpensive to use.

s996

Post by s996 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:08 pm

Max,

any update or results from the new aftercooler?

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:03 pm

I live in the frozen land of New England,so results will have to wait till I can get the car out and drive it.(April??)  I just got my new ECM tune and will load it today.The aftercooler system filled easily and circulates fine. :tu:

Gage

Post by Gage » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:34 am

I wish there was some practical way to get before and after comparisons with that aftercooler vs. the new one.    The visual difference is huge.

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:37 am

[quote="Positron"]
I think I'm the only one doing it dry.. not a fan of the spray.. tuning and 100 octane is my poison.

If I run out of 100 octane it stops in one piece, if you run out of windshield wiper fluid.. you spill 6 qts of oil with big chunks of aluminum on the track in a narrow band until you stop..

I can tell you, with data, that if the oil rad fan is blowing down it will ADD calories to the water from the front rad.
[/quote]

Run two maps and have a pressure switch and level switch on the meth system turn the meth map off if you run low or if you lose meth pressure.  Whatever you do windshield wiper fluid is at best 30% meth, get real meth and run 75% meth or more, octane more than cooling.  I am currently mapped for a 50/50 mix and will be going for a 75% mix when I re-dyno.

silver

Post by silver » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:52 am

[quote="Gage"]
I wish there was some practical way to get before and after comparisons with that aftercooler vs. the new one.    The visual difference is huge.
[/quote]

my intercooler should be installed within the next week or two so I will be able to test before and after temps

s996

Post by s996 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:09 pm

I was at TMI yesterday getting alignment and a few other bits and learned a wealth of info about my car and the early twos.

Brammo made a replacement aftercooler about 14/14/2 inches that I saw on there track 245's.  Its not the oild cooler like on mine.

Did we know they had this one? has it been tried on the 300? does it make a difference?

I dont know a price. they are working on it for me.

Second thing. ecotec does it need an oil scavenge acculator?  I may also need one of these.

Whats that sound? its the sound of money bleeding from my atom account!

silver

Post by silver » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:26 pm

1: the larger intercooler was an upgrade costing about $800 or so, it provided 0 positive results during Brammo's testing of it while we were working on the "300 solution."  the reason it's useless is it's still mounted horizontally and radiators need to be mounted vertically so they get wind blowing through them, same reason why the water temps go up when you're sitting at a red light. Also, this doesn't solve the problem with the factory pump so easily loosing it's ability to pump due to an air bubble.

2:  the oil accumulator.....do you neeeeeeed it? doubt it but it's function is of use, so do you want it .....why not :)