Another Turbo build up

NathanE

Re: Another Turbo build up

Post by NathanE » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:22 pm

phew, I came out with my honour intact (just)  ;D

Good job I never admitted that I thought he had built a front wheel drive, rear engined 4 wheel steer car with rear facing passenger seats  ;)

Alec

Post by Alec » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:23 pm

[quote="Mr.Toad"]
surely that's rwd isn't it?  I can't see any evidence of drive shafts to the front wheels (although I'm not particularly qualified to spot them!)
[/quote]

If you notice, Randy edited it straight after Mark's first reply to show that the 'FW' stood for 'Flywheel' and not 'Front Wheel'.  :tu:

[quote="1965Cobra427"]
It's a FFR roadster - Cobra replica. Bolt-ons to match my '03 Cobra -  Should be 550 FW (flywheel) HP.
[/quote]
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:42 am

Got an update for everybody, and a lesson learned.

I still haven't been able to get my car tuned.  I've been chasing my tail for two weeks, trying different things.  Actually took everything apart a few times, to make sure there wasn't something leaking.

Symptoms - car would idle and free rev slowly just fine.  Tip in fast with the throttle (rev it) and as it comes back down through the RPMS, it would run pig rich, and stay running pig rich for 30 seconds or so, and then return to normal.  No matter what I did, it would do it every time.  Sometimes, it would even do it just driving around.  Sometimes the car would just flat out die  :doh:

Cure - a longer intake tube. 

Obviously this is just a test piece, but the car immediately became much more responsive, returned to tuned AFR in a couple of seconds after a rev, stopped smoking, etc...  The MAF was jus too close to the turbo, so there was some nasty turbulance stiring up the pot.  So we'll be making a longer intake, that will follow the line below, but under the plastic (between the outer bar and the shock)

For anybody watching Norm's Harrop buildup, I called Tom right away when I found out the problem (as he has an even shorter intake it looks like).  Apparently its not as much of a problem on superchargers, but Tom is going to keep an eye on this problem, just in case (because nobody has really done this kind of thing with a Harrop obviously).

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:27 am

Thanks Darth!!

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:29 am

leave it sticking up like that, very ricey

Is that my 3" hose?

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:28 am

Yup, that's the piece Bolus.  I think I've used in one way or the other about 90% of what you sent over here, LOL. 

Jeff thinks I should leave it as well.  Problem is, I can't fit the tea tray on like that.  Oh, and it looks like crap :laugh:

I can see how overwhelmed everybody is about this.  Maybe I should talk about all the hose clamps that hold the tubing together instead  ::)

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:42 am

Sounds like a good excuse to build side pods to me.  Run the intake tube to one of them and put the intake filter inside.  Primary worry would be debris/water intake.

positron

Post by positron » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:45 am

[quote="DarthChicken"]

[img width=800 height=450]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh12 ... C00167.jpg[/img]

[/quote]

mmm... melted butter...
Attachments
fiddler-crab-lrg.jpg
fiddler-crab-lrg.jpg (16.88 KiB) Viewed 281 times

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:56 am

[quote="Positron"]

Not something you want to hear from another dude..  :police:
[/quote]

sorry, how embarrassing.    Darth is that my 3 in thick, 10 inch long hose?

[quote="DarthChicken"]
I can see how overwhelmed everybody is about this.  Maybe I should talk about all the hose clamps that hold the tubing together instead  ::)
[/quote]

Just confirms my growing hatred of MAF sensors.  how gadamn hard is it to tell how much air is moving through a tube??  It's not like we are trying to find a higgs particle here

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:07 am

Jeff has some metal grating material he's used to put inside MAF tubes before to help "straighten" the air.  I think we're gonna try that first, if it works great, easy fix.  If not.. more cutting and welding. 

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:20 am

Last edited by maverick1 on Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:37 am

[quote="DarthChicken"]
Jeff has some metal grating material he's used to put inside MAF tubes before to help "straighten" the air.  I think we're gonna try that first, if it works great, easy fix.  If not.. more cutting and welding. 
[/quote]

Yup. You need to achieve laminar flow. Without getting into the physics involved, you need lots of small tubes. Something like the core of a catalytic converter. Or lots of skinny straws.

silver

Post by silver » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:49 pm

1,000 coffee straws and duct tape and you're set.........I'm the king of free/ or next to free solutions ;D aka I'm poor/cheap...

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:56 pm

Better pray those straws don't get sucked into your new turbo :o

Many manufactrers use a kind of honeycomb flow buffer arrangement just before the MAF meter.

silver

Post by silver » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:00 pm

lol I WAS kidding ;D

well not kidding about being poor.