?? Dash switch, second fan?

positron

Re: ?? Dash switch, second fan?

Post by positron » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:34 pm

Engine is mechanical, it'll help some. But our battery won't support long fan run times with switch off.

forcesevens

Post by forcesevens » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:37 pm

[quote="Positron #73"]
Engine is mechanical, it'll help some. But our battery won't support long fan run times with switch off.
[/quote]turbo timers are cheap :)

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:54 pm

Just let the car sit and idle after it's warmed up. The temp will climb pretty quickly. :tu:

dingo

Post by dingo » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:27 pm

Brammo Atom has mech pump as well as electrical one.  Can you determine when this switch is on whether pump is too?  You can reach under car to the small black elec pump.  If coolant is cold, it will be safe to touch. 

forcesevens

Post by forcesevens » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:07 pm

[quote="dingo"]
Brammo Atom has mech pump as well as electrical one.  Can you determine when this switch is on whether pump is too?  You can reach under car to the small black elec pump.  If coolant is cold, it will be safe to touch. 
[/quote]I didn't see the elec pump.  Is it in the front or back of the car?  Two tubes go from front to back.  the left side goes directly into
the block.  The right side goes into something that has a bunch of smaller tubes going out of it.  I squeezed the flexible part a little
and I don't feel any fluids moving... gotta poke around some more

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:14 pm

Pump is on the frame, just in front of the engine down low. Its a small, black cyndrical pump, with two hoses running to it.

forcesevens

Post by forcesevens » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:26 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
Pump is on the frame, just in front of the engine down low. Its a small, black cyndrical pump, with two hoses running to it.
[/quote]I see it now.  that one connects to the horizontal radiator with smaller tubing.  I flipped the switch and the fan is on.
I don't think the pump is.  No vibration.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:32 pm

So you're saying the switch turns on the fan on the verticle radiator (the aluminum one) - the true radiator, correct?

The fan on the horizontal radiator (the smaller black one, which is the aftercooler for the supercharger) is wired off of the pump.  The pump kicks on, and that fan kicks on. 

forcesevens

Post by forcesevens » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:35 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
So you're saying the switch turns on the fan on the verticle radiator (the aluminum one) - the true radiator, correct?

The fan on the horizontal radiator (the smaller black one, which is the aftercooler for the supercharger) is wired off of the pump.  The pump kicks on, and that fan kicks on. 

[/quote]Yes the switch is for the vertical radiator.  I'm taking it for a drive now... see if I can bring the temp beyond 200 ;D
It's 56F today.

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:42 pm

There's no way you'll get the temp up to 200 on the street especially at 56 degrees. Just let it sit and idle first.

forcesevens

Post by forcesevens » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:16 am

The previous owner just told me he upgraded the fan.  Supposedly the fan will kick on
when it reaches temp.  I guess the switch would be good for track days.

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:10 pm

I definitely saw temps over 200 degrees at AtomFest but I think the upgraded fan is an excess. I think that on the track, the temps won't decrease with an additional fan and when stuck in traffic, the current fan (at least at our GA temps) is adequate. It might not have been at 120 degree AZ temps!

forcesevens

Post by forcesevens » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:44 pm

I have yet to see the fan turn on by itself.  I think when you're moving air naturall flows through it already.
We'll see when i take it on the track.

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:44 pm

Again, if you want to see it turn on, just drive it until it warms up then let it sit and idle for a few minutes.

forcesevens

Post by forcesevens » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:44 pm

I've tried idling for a while and it hasn't come on yet.