post atomfest work

rfmarz@frontiernet

Re: post atomfest work

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:27 pm

I agree. I ran the crap out of my Atom at AtomFest! Had I left the ES100's on for the full three days, I still don't think they would have shown any wear. The brakes look untouched. You can, in no way, compare an Atom to the Subaru. The performance (from a completely standard Atom) is far better. Plus, it's much more visceral. You will feel all the bumps, vibrations, hear the clicks, tires, feel the wind direction, etc. It is for driving. Most other cars are for riding. Big difference and no comparison whatsoever.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:32 am

[quote="maverick1"]I bought the Atom for track use because of the extremely high cost of running my Porsche on the race track compared to a car like the Atom. Since the Atom is so light weight it is not nearly as hard on consumables like brakes, tires and suspension components like heavier cars are. I've read on line where guys with 911's, Vettes and Vipers can burn through a set of tires in one weekend, and brakes in 3 weekends. The brakes on the Atom should last an entire season of track days and maybe more, and the tires should last the season as well.[/quote]

Absolutely. I'm replacing my front tires after 16,000+ miles, including the track at Atomfest and a couple autocross sessions. I get about 8000 miles per set of rear tires under similar conditions. With a set of 4 costing < $800, that's a steal.

And when my coolant line let go at AtomFest, I wasn't worried - even if the engine had been toast, I could pick up a short block w/ warranty for less than $2000 (or even less if I pulled one from a junker), and Jim from Synergy offered me the use of his shop so I could install it. I shudder to think what an engine rebuild on a Porsche is...

3Rotor

Post by 3Rotor » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:29 am

hehe...  pardon me for seeing the funny side....    a turnkey Atom, here in SA  will cost you R1,000,000  give or take...  so I have been told,  and by God you won't consider putting a junker motor into a millionbuck car...    ;D

I still can't believe it can be so expensive to import a whole car....

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:54 pm

Spanky... the track brakes Wilwood part number is 160-5840-SR from the Brammo Book. I found that part number on the WilWood site:
http://www.wilwood.com/Products/002-Rot ... /index.asp
But, the picture on the site doesn't show it being slotted.
? Hmm... not sure if that helped or not.
Last edited by Bottoz on Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:59 pm

[quote="Spanky"]
Brammo's manual does not list any part # for the rotor hat except their own. No Wilwood #.  Does Brammo make it themselves?

The Wilwood site: http://www.revolutionbrake.com/wilwood-rotors.pdf&nbsp;   does not show the rotor with the part # that Brammo lists in the manual. It does show a non-slotted rotor with the correct basic part #. Does Brammo order them custom made with the slots which are not normally offered from Wilwood in our specfic rotor?
[/quote]

I think the hats are a part Brammo has made for them.

I was told that Brammo slots the rotors themselves. The Wilwood 160-7099 (RH) and 160-7100 (LH) rotors are slotted + drilled and cost $70 less (each) than the Brammo ones. I have an inquiry into Brammo asking "why not use those?"

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:11 pm

Good call Spanky. If I were to need rotors on an Atom, I'd go with a solid face (not slotted or drilled) rotor.

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:47 pm

[quote="Bottoz"]
Good call Spanky. If I were to need rotors on an Atom, I'd go with a solid face (not slotted or drilled) rotor.
[/quote]

Same here.  Drilled rotors used to have a purpose as heat reduction/water slaughing tools, but brake technology has made them unnecessary.  In my opinion, rilled holes/slotted rotors are primarily "bling" now.  I think the Atom would do better with regular rotors...we'd get even less brake dust & noise that way.

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:49 pm

what are the most blingy rotors out there?  Im talking some ceramic or composite that they only use on the space shuttle level of bling?

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:53 pm

[quote="bolus"]
what are the most blingy rotors out there?  Im talking some ceramic or composite that they only use on the space shuttle level of bling?
[/quote]

Ceramic and carbon rotors aren't bling.  Bling implies lack of functionality...ceramic and carbon brakes are actually the next level of functionality, as they can deal with much more heat while at the same time being lighter than traditional steel rotors.  I'd love to have a set of carbon rotors.  Some day... (sigh)

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:59 pm

what??  carbon gets me hot therefore = bling :)  where can I get some carbon rotors?

How about them silicon dioxide dilthium cystals rotors that are on the prosche GT?

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:05 pm

I thought the Atom beat the Porsche GT on the Top Gear track. Probably with those silly "plain" rotors as well ;D

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:56 am

[quote="CalScot"]
Probably with those silly "plain" rotors as well ;D
[/quote]

Nope, slotted ones. Take a look at this screen capture from the Top Gear segment. Slots are clearly visible at the 3 and 5 o'clock positions (the others are concealed by the wheel spokes and caliper).

[img width=800 height=477]http://www.tmk.com/transient/slots.jpg[/img]

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:59 am

[quote="Terry Kennedy"]
I was told that Brammo slots the rotors themselves. The Wilwood 160-7099 (RH) and 160-7100 (LH) rotors are slotted + drilled and cost $70 less (each) than the Brammo ones. I have an inquiry into Brammo asking "why not use those?"
[/quote]

I ordered the 7099 and 7100 rotors and should have them shortly. Brammo doesn't have any of the 5480 rotors in stock, either slotted or non-slotted.

By the way, the 5480 has non-directional vanes. The directional vanes in on the 7099 / 7100 should help with cooling.

positron

Post by positron » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:09 am

[quote="bolus"]
what??  carbon gets me hot therefore = bling :)  where can I get some carbon rotors?

How about them silicon dioxide dilthium cystals rotors that are on the prosche GT?
[/quote]

for the man who cannot have too much CF.. Merry Christmas Bolus... sorry they out of black..
Carbon Fiber Seat Heater

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:46 am

[quote="Spanky"]
I have both of my rear rotors damaged on their inside faces from grinding on the parking brake brackets. I have 5/16 wide slots x .015 deep grooves all the way around the rotor face on both. It has a matching raised area on the pads. It looks like the parking brake's guide studs protruded thru the bracket and something has caused the rotors to wear on them. Anybody have a like expierence?
[/quote]

nope, not me, and I have the alcons with the seperate parking brake.  Something is amiss on your car  :-\