Close to ordering, except for these equipment ?s

Jammer

Re: Close to ordering, except for these equipment ?s

Post by Jammer » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:23 pm

[quote="Bottoz"]
[quote="bolus"]
Manual just says DOT4 for brake fluid with no brands listed
[/quote]

Yep, Jerry quoted me from the Manual. I was hoping he'd go on the line, pick up a bottle of brake fluid, and read me the name!
[/quote]

:D

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:43 pm

I'm not sure about the factory brake fluid, but.... I have run the car in 20 minute sessions at Hallett in July when the ambient temp was 107 and the track temp was in the 130's. No noticeable fade or loss of brakes, even though I was running the second to lowest brake package available. I will be replacing with the Super Blue when I upgrade to the Track Brakes this weekend, but would not hesitate to use stock fluid.

BTW, this past October, my brother and I ran the Atom and my C6 'Vette at Hallett. Ambient temps were in the low 70's. On a long day, the Vette suffered from brake heat and at one time the brakes pretty much went away. The Atom's brakes never wavered. I'm putting Super Blue in the Vette too, before returning it to the track.

positron

Post by positron » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:16 am

I can't speak to the Atom yet, but I switched to Valvoline full synthetic Dot 3&4 and have had excellent results. It has a high dry-boiling point up to 500°F.

I track my V regularly and it is at least 3 times heavier so I would expect the demands to be greater on a heavier car. I would speculate that if you are fading the brakes on the Atom your doing either something wrong or hauling some major arse.