Dash view

Karl

Re: Dash view

Post by Karl » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:05 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
I would delete the Recaros rather than the shift lights.

Ben
[/quote]

Shift lights you can add later (not to mention better ones).  Recaros you can't.

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:16 pm

[quote="Jerrdog"]
[quote="bolus"]
I posted before that the height added by having the recaros causes the top of the shift light steering wheel to obstruct the view of the dash. Today when installing a capacitor to stop the dash resetting problem I managed to raise the dash a few centimeters at the attachment point on the frame. It could not be raised higher because the bolts wouldnt fit and it is also limited because the main wire assembly coming out of the dash hits the frame. But I'm happy since I can tell when I hit 80 now :)
[/quote]

How did "raising" the dash help the visibility?  Perhaps you lowered the dash or you raised the steering wheel?
If I draw a picture, and explain what I see -> If your eyes are in the same location relative to the seat, and the bottom of the top of the wheel is clipping your view, either the wheel has to go up, or the dash has to go down.  Right?

I'm now very seriously considering removing the shift light wheel from my order.  I'm 6'3" and couldn't see the dash in the Recaros in the demo car.

Jerrdog

[/quote]

Wheel and dash are all connected as one unit.  So the wheel is rasied along with the dash.  Since your eye level stays the same the angle to see the dash decreases making it a better view.  Look at the top fo the steering wheel in both pictures. It is raised higher too in the second picture. 

Jerrdog

Post by Jerrdog » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:03 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="Jerrdog"]
I'm now very seriously considering removing the shift light wheel from my order. I'm 6'3" and couldn't see the dash in the Recaros in the demo car.
[/quote]

I would delete the Recaros rather than the shift lights.
[/quote]

That's not going to fly with my wife.  ;)  Besides, I enjoy the padded seats myself.  I'm more concerned about not seeing a low oil light, or something important rather than watching the dancing LEDs with RPM.  Besides, I know when I'm out of RPM's.  The engine is hitting the rev limiter!   ;)

[quote="bolus"]
Wheel and dash are all connected as one unit. So the wheel is raised along with the dash. Since your eye level stays the same the angle to see the dash decreases making it a better view. Look at the top of the steering wheel in both pictures. It is raised higher too in the second picture.
[/quote]

Ah, okay that makes sense.  I didn't think about the wheel mount/bearing being mounted to the same assemble as the dash, which would change the angle.  Thank you for the explanation.

Jerrdog

Matt F

Post by Matt F » Sun May 20, 2007 9:07 pm

Thank you for a great post, bolus.  It's so good, I'm going to bump it back up to the top.

I loosened the bolts, which were at the bottom of the slots, and tried to move the dash up.  I could rock the dash, only because the bolts were loosened, although I certainly saw the potential for improvement.  (I ended up giving up, and tightened the bolts back down and went for a drive.)

I couldn't tell if there was something in the way, which prevented the dash from moving vertically, or if everything was slightly seized and stuck together.  Does it help much to remove the horizontal matte black front (the one with the bubbles)?

Thanks again,

Matt

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun May 20, 2007 9:11 pm

I removed the front tea tray because I was installing the capacitor for the dash resetting fix.  It gives you a much better view.  The bolts were really snug in the frame so it was not easy to move the dash up at first.  I actually had to file a tiny bit away to move it.    The wiring loom into the dash also keeps you from moving the dash up to the top.  But you can still move it up about an inch before that happens.

Matt F

Post by Matt F » Wed May 23, 2007 12:56 pm

[quote="bolus"]I actually had to file a tiny bit away to move it.[/quote]
Thank you very much; that helps a lot.

--Matt