Intercooler Fluid Leak

Bottoz

Intercooler Fluid Leak

Post by Bottoz » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:45 am

Assistance needed: I may have found a leak in the Intercooler fluid system. This *could* be why we're losing fluid (or a contributing factor). Feel the plastic joints that feed the Heat Exchanger. I noticed two little wet spots on the ground directly below those plastic joints. If enough folks have this common problem, we'll need another fix.

bolus

Re: Intercooler Fluid Leak

Post by bolus » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:04 am

Mine is fine.  Didn't you put a higher pressure cap on your system?  Perhaps it is over the pressure limits of these seals

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:20 am

No... the higher pressure cap didn't fit. In fact... I noticed this with Zero pressure on the system. I had the cap off while re-filling it. This has been a problem since day one.

silver

Post by silver » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:10 am

Mine is dry too.

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:13 am

Dang. 0 for 2. I think I remember Darth saying he had to add fluid to his.... maybe he has the same symptoms. If not... I guess I'll chalk this up to a fluke.

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:11 am

Well. I spent all after work draining the intercooler fluid and removing the heat exchanger. Let me say that who ever at Brammo that decided to use OETIKER stepless hose clamps should be shot in the face. Twice. Apparently you need a special tool to get those stupid things off. Here's an idea.... use regular hose clamps that only require a slotted screw driver! Keep it in line with the 'simpleness' of the Atom. Ugh... anyways....

Drained it... removed the Heat Exchanger. Took the plastic elbows off and coated the threads with Teflon tape. Hopefully that will solve my leaking/losing fluid problem. IMO... they should have been taped with Teflon from the Factory.[me=Bottoz]shakes head.[/me]

Now I'm running a 40/40/20 mix of Distilled Water, Anti-Freeze and Water Wetter. It's another NASA weekend... so I'll report back with IAT2 temps and if there was loss of fluid.
Last edited by Bottoz on Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:58 am

In the famous voice of Arty Lange... WAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAA

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:16 am

[quote="Bottoz"]Let me say that who ever at Brammo that decided to use OETIKER stepless hose clamps should be shot in the face. Twice. Apparently you need a special tool to get those stupid things off. Here's an idea.... use regular hose clamps that only require a slotted screw driver! Keep it in line with the 'simpleness' of the Atom. Ugh... anyways....[/quote]

Huh? Just cut across the tab with a pair of diagonal cutters and the clamp pops right off. For installing new clamps, there's an inexpensivel tool, but pliers will also work just fine.

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:17 pm

haha.... yeah, after a couple knuckle busters, I got a little pissed. :laugh: And Terry, looks like my dikes aren't sharp enough... or the metal on the clamps are too thick. They wouldn't cut. Oh well. It always takes the right tool for the right job. I just wish a simple screwdriver was the right tool (it is now!).

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:47 am

[quote="Bottoz"]
haha.... yeah, after a couple knuckle busters, I got a little pissed. :laugh: And Terry, looks like my dikes aren't sharp enough... or the metal on the clamps are too thick. They wouldn't cut.[/quote]

I've had a number of those clamps off my Atom (I could tell you what for, but then I'd have to kill you ;D). Using regular Home Depot house-brand cutters gave me no problems.

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:04 am

I don't have much grip in my Right Hand due to an Air Force injury.... So that might be part of my problem.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:37 pm

My level had only dropped about 2" Bottoz, and I think it might have been an air bubble.  I haven't had to add any to my car, and I've got over 1000 miles on it at this point.