DIY: Lockable Storage (with Individual Seating)

Karl

DIY: Lockable Storage (with Individual Seating)

Post by Karl » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:52 am

For those of you looking for a place to store things that people can't just walk by and pocket, and if you happen to have individual seating, I have a solution!

The storage compartment between the seats is of a perfect type to accept a conventional cam lock.  I picked up an inexpensive $5 lock from Orchard Supply Hardware, they should also be available at your local locksmith.  I opted not to replace the existing quarter-turn fastener, because with the loose tolerances that I'd be installing the lock with, not having the fastener in place would make the compartment door rattle like hell.  It is entirely possible to install a lock in the little well where the fastener is, it would take a little extra planning however.

I first marked where I wanted the lock to go, just below the quarter-turn fastener so that it would interface well with the side of the storage compartment.  A Dremel bit 115 (High Speed Cutter) made short work of the carbon (which, in turn, made short work of the cutter), and the lock could be inserted and tightened up without a fuss.  I used the 90 degree "open" setting on the lock, so that I can easily tell when looking at the keyhole, whether it is locked or not.

With the lock mounted on the compartment door, I marked where the cam tongue would contact the side of the compartment interior, and used a Dremel 199 (High Speed Cutter) slot cutter to cut it out.  Et voila!  Lockable center compartment.  While this will not stop a dedicated thief, it will keep curious kids away from the contents of the compartment.  I now have a place to put my registration documents!

The only drawback is that I don't know how weather proof this particular lock is, so it may not be rain-worthy.  However, your local locksmith should be able to point you to some weather-rated locks that have dust caps or similar features.  I'm very pleased with the outcome, looks almost-stock!
Attachments
Image 1.jpg
Last edited by Karl on Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Karl

Re: DIY: Lockable Storage (with Individual Seating)

Post by Karl » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:53 am

Close-up of the lock:
Attachments
Image 2.jpg

Karl

Post by Karl » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:53 am

Profile shot of lock, showing height:
Attachments
Image 3.jpg

Karl

Post by Karl » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:54 am

Underside of door showing "open" position:
Attachments
Image 4.jpg

Karl

Post by Karl » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:54 am

Underside of door showing "locked" position:
Attachments
Image 5.jpg

Karl

Post by Karl » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:55 am

Slit in side of compartment interior:
Attachments
Image 6.jpg

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:01 am

That's very cool.  nice job.  Though I would be too scared to cut into my carbon fiber console.

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:44 am

EXCELLENT POST.

Very brave to cut the CF, but looks like a great solution.