Public Statement - I think I'd fail mechanic school...

nickpoore

Public Statement - I think I'd fail mechanic school...

Post by nickpoore » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:30 am

So, I had to install new injectors in the Atom, as part of an ECU & pulley swap.

Having taken everything apart, I waited for about a week for all the parts to arrive.
I'm sure I can remember how everything goes back together, so I don't bother with any of those silly notes of photos...

I ordered 60lb injectors.
http://www.zzperformance.com/cobalt_ion ... &catid=143

After they arrived, I realized I needed a new wiring harness.
http://www.zzperformance.com/cobalt_ion ... &catid=144
(That took another week to arrive.)

Okay, so time to put everything back together.

I take the new injectors and push them into the engine block.
They sit there easy enough, so this must be the right way to do it.
I grab the fuel rail, and try to push it onto the four injectors - nope, perhaps I should install the injectors into the fuel rail first.
I remove the injectors, and push them into the fuel rail.  That seems to do the trick.
The fuel rail & injectors are then pushed into the block - easy.
I bolt down the fuel rail, and go to plug in the injectors to the harness.  There is NO WAY that I can reach this now - damn.
I unblot the fuel rail, remove the rail/injectors, and connect the harness.
I re-install the rail/injetors and realize that the harness should go on the top of the rail, not the bottom.
It's okay, I know I'm making progress.
I remove the rail/injectors, reposition the harness, and put everything back in.
I bolt down the fuel rail and connect the harness.  Great.
I remmber that there was a coolant line running along the top of the fuel rail.  (I remember this because it leaked coolant everywhere when I disconnected it.)  It's a metal coolant line that bolts directly into the engine block, and I had it pushed out of the way of the fuel rail to make installation easy.
Yep, the coolant line will not install once you've bolted the fuel rail back in place; I unbolt it, and wiggle it around - it fits.
I bolt down the coolant line, bolt down the fuel rail, and reconnect the wiring harness to the electrical.
Easy.
I start going through my to-do list of things to finish off when I see four clips - what WERE they for again?
Oh yes, those are the clips that hold the injectors into the fuel rail.  Damn.
Unbolt the fuel rail, disconnect the harness, unbolt the coolant line, remove the rail/injectors.
Install the four clips.
I have to rotate the injectors to a different angle to make the clips work.  I have to play with the injector harness to make it fit.  But I'm making progress.
ReInstall the fuel rail & injectors (with clips!) and harness.
Wiggle the coolant line back into place, then bolt the coolant line and fuel rail back into place.
Plug back in the injector harness, and I'm pretty much done.

Sure, I still have to re-fill the coolant bottle, and figure out a way to burp the air in the system, but I'm sure that'll just take care of itself.
How hard could it be?

To be continued...

silver

Re: Public Statement - I think I'd fail mechanic school...

Post by silver » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:59 am

Holy crap Nick you've perfected the install, forget  ;)something, uninstall, fix and repeat method

wisp

Post by wisp » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:09 pm

Nick,

I'm sorry, but I really laughed when I read that. Good on you for sticking with it.

FTR I've yet to have a third attempt at getting a new gas tank to fit back in my car.

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:10 pm

Hopefully all that repeated fidgeting with the injectors didn't cause the O-rings to get marred or split.  You don't want to have any fuel leaks.

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:26 pm

Nick, should you not be posting that in the TWAT of the week thread?

Last week, in great excitement at finally getting my Atom back, I was reasembling the last few parts after the Dyno, where it was all held together with tape and string!
Not wanting to get any crap in the intake system, I had plugged the 3" inlet with a rag. I was so inpatient and excited I thought it would be just fine to run around the front courtyard to make sure there was no leaks. Of course I forgot the rag. Sucked that bitch right into the Supercharger.

After 4 hours of work, it's all back in one piece and then I blow off a high pressure hose. Another hour to take it all back off and fix that. The list goes on. :)

I will be happy to join you in the twat of the week club! :)