I have the dreaded flex pipe exhaust leak...

maverick1

I have the dreaded flex pipe exhaust leak...

Post by maverick1 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:37 am

...and I was wondering if wrapping my frame, not with duct tape but with that aluminum tape would work to protect my powder coated frame from getting damaged by the hot exhaust gas?
Cheersâ?¢

sloppyjoe

Re: I have the dreaded flex pipe exhaust leak...

Post by sloppyjoe » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:45 pm

I noticed today at VIR that the other Atom 300 there had an exhaust leak as well. I could see the soot on the frame and the flex joint didn't look like it was in good shape. Wonder why there are so many faulty flex joints.

bolus

Post by bolus » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:20 am

Mine is fine.  You guys must be driving your cars or something  ::)  ;D

I wonder if some header wrap would work as a temporary solution
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produc ... ?RecId=393

positron

Post by positron » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:25 am

[quote="maverick1"]
...and I was wondering if wrapping my frame, not with duct tape but with that aluminum tape would work to protect my powder coated frame from getting damaged by the hot exhaust gas?
Cheersâ?¢
[/quote]
No not even close, when it happened to mine I was on track so I went to the track speed shop and got some stuff that looked like astronaut foil space suit (60's for the young 'un's) . It quickly burned through that, I went back and bought some stuff that looked like a soft beer can with some white cloth like material with some adhesive on it. I put that on top of the space suit stuff and it worked until I had a solution.

[quote="sloppyjoe"]
I noticed today at VIR that the other Atom 300 there had an exhaust leak as well. I could see the soot on the frame and the flex joint didn't look like it was in good shape. Wonder why there are so many faulty flex joints.
[/quote]
Try and make the upper bolts of the muffler somewhat loose so that they can move a bit. I also slotted the bracket to allow some movement of the muffler assembly. My opinion is that the flex is only designed for misalignment and not "flexing." The muffler is held rigid to frame and not allowed to move with the engine like all other vehicles ie with rubber bumper thingies.
Last edited by positron on Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

breakaway500

Post by breakaway500 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:18 am

I just installed my replacement exhaust system from Brammo.MUCH better design as the Cat/test pipe section now has its own flex joint.The original intermediate pipe has too much horizontal misalignment for the flex joint to comfortably absorb,therefore the failures.Funny,my replacement rear motor mount is identical to the original with the exception being the new one is black powdercoated.The new exhaust hangs without any strain and I am sure will have a long life. :tu: Just for kicks,I ran a piece of the old exhaust straight out the back as a tailpipe instead of the muffler for one lap around town.What a nice wail our Ecotecs make!

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:14 am

[quote="breakaway500"]
I just installed my replacement exhaust system from Brammo.MUCH better design as the Cat/test pipe section now has its own flex joint.The original intermediate pipe has too much horizontal misalignment for the flex joint to comfortably absorb,therefore the failures.Funny,my replacement rear motor mount is identical to the original with the exception being the new one is black powdercoated.The new exhaust hangs without any strain and I am sure will have a long life. :tu: Just for kicks,I ran a piece of the old exhaust straight out the back as a tailpipe instead of the muffler for one lap around town.What a nice wail our Ecotecs make!
[/quote]
How did you find the install? Did you get new hardware along with your new muffler and engine mount? What is the procedure for  replacing the rear motor mount? Any special tools required?
I hope to get my replacement sometime this week.
Cheersâ?¢

breakaway500

Post by breakaway500 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:34 pm

The exhaust bolts are a bit difficult to get a wrench on(14mm and an Allen),but other than that pretty straightforeward.I jacked up the car on the rear cross bar and placed two jack stands left and right.The main intermediate pipe can then be lowered out through the bottom.While you have the exhaust out of the way,do the mount.Place a jack under the transaxle and take the weight off the mount.Unbolt the three 19mm capscrews from the trans case and the 19mm through frame bolt and the mount is out.Reverse to install the new one.My replacement mount was identical to the original other than being powdercoated.Don't forget to retorque the exhaust bolts after a few heat/cool cycles.

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:33 pm

[quote="breakaway500"]
The exhaust bolts are a bit difficult to get a wrench on(14mm and an Allen),but other than that pretty straightforeward.I jacked up the car on the rear cross bar and placed two jack stands left and right.The main intermediate pipe can then be lowered out through the bottom.While you have the exhaust out of the way,do the mount.Place a jack under the transaxle and take the weight off the mount.Unbolt the three 19mm capscrews from the trans case and the 19mm through frame bolt and the mount is out.Reverse to install the new one.My replacement mount was identical to the original other than being powdercoated.Don't forget to retorque the exhaust bolts after a few heat/cool cycles.
[/quote]
Thanks for the info. I hope mine comes in soon, as I am tired of babying my Atom around town so the exhaust leak does not get any bigger.
cheers