Service options - brake master cylinder

Scottsman

Service options - brake master cylinder

Post by Scottsman » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:38 pm

I was discussing with Tom today whether there are any improvements I should consider making to the car (2005 model) when it's serviced this winter. He said that the revised rear brake master cylinder made a big difference (and the difference was even bigger with non-Alcons compared to Alcons). There are posts elsewhere here related to the Alcon rears but I hadn't thought about it for long enough to realise that there would be a significant improvement to the "standard" brakes.

£66 (parts only) is a small price for what Tom said would be a definite improvement.

Alastair.

ross

Re: Service options - brake master cylinder

Post by ross » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:51 pm

Yeah, I did this myself a while back and I think it's definitely worth doing.  With the same cylinders front and rear as you'll have now, you'll struggle to ever put enough braking force onto the rear, with the new cylinder, you'll be able to and you should see a pretty good improvement in stopping power as a result.

A far cheaper option than Alcons all round!  You can buy the cylinder kit from Demon Tweeks and I think it's even cheaper than Tom may be quoting you.

Cheers, Ross.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:27 am

I too can confirm that the smaller cylinder works a treat.

Having spoken to Simon about this 'cheaper than the factory' thing, he's asked me to ask the membership to get in touch if they find parts cheaper elsewhere - for two reasons, One he wants to help if he can. And two, if someone is offering a part at a substantially lower price, then he can use the info to negotiate lower prices from his supplier.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

jon b

Post by jon b » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:40 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
I too can confirm that the smaller cylinder works a treat.

Having spoken to Simon about this 'cheaper than the factory' thing, he's asked me to ask the membership to get in touch if they find parts cheaper elsewhere - for two reasons, One he wants to help if he can. And two, if someone is offering a part at a substantially lower price, then he can use the info to negotiate lower prices from his supplier.
[/quote]

Like to hear to Pro-active approach - we should all suuport the factory and give them the opportunity to supply

How can we get this word out - so everyone does this?

ross

Post by ross » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:44 am

Alastair,

Demon Tweeks do the 5/8" 74 Series Tilton master brake cylinder for £52.15 plus VAT and delivery (£7.50) which is where I got it.

So you should see if Simon can do it for you for less.

Cheers, Ross.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:53 am

[quote="Ross McWilliam"]
Alastair,

Demon Tweeks do the 5/8" 74 Series Tilton master brake cylinder for £52.15 plus VAT and delivery (£7.50) which is where I got it.

So you should see if Simon can do it for you for less.

Cheers, Ross.
[/quote]

Or the same...  ;)
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Scottsman

Post by Scottsman » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:45 pm

Note sent to Tom. I'll let you know.

Alastair.

Scottsman

Post by Scottsman » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:31 pm

Note from Ariel: OK, I will now undercut Demon Tweeks, £58 + VAT from.

Proof positive (if ever it was needed) that Ariel listen and react to owner feedback.

Alastair.

Scottsman

Post by Scottsman » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:00 pm

I drove the car this weekend with the "new" rear master cylinder. What a difference!! IMHO there's a 30% improvement in performance (racing discs - not Alcons) but more importantly a big increase in feel and therefore confidence. This is definitely the best option / upgrade I have on my car.

Alastair.