Battery disconnect/kill switch and Trackers

phil4

Battery disconnect/kill switch and Trackers

Post by phil4 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:49 pm

Hi All,

I noticed on the Facebook group someone with a dead battery (Lighty I recall)... of the replies what interests me is quite a number saying either disconnect the battery, or use a kill switch if fitted (the factory track one as I recall).

Does anyone who does this know what effect is has on a factory fitted tracker? I may be wrong but the responses I've had from insurers suggested the tracker was a pretty common requirement, and thought perhaps wrongly that it wouldn't work if it had no power.

Is that the case? Does it not invalidate insurance if stolen in that state? Or have I missed something?

stupot

Re: Battery disconnect/kill switch and Trackers

Post by stupot » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:27 pm

Hi,

You will need a permanent live for the tracker if fitting a battery cutoff otherwise the internal, non rechargeable tracker battery will go flat and need replacing in a short time. I am sure the factory can advise or even sort this on a new build or as a retro fit so give them a call. Note sure what the tracker residual drain is but I am sure you will need to charge the car battery every 1-2 weeks anyway.

Note, the tracker battery needs replacing every 5 years but you’ll get a reminder from tracker when due.

Stu

phil4

Post by phil4 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:34 pm

Cheers Stu, that's what I thought! Thanks for confirming.

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:04 am

Stu

I was fairly sure that the internal battery of a tracker is rechargeable as I remember having the conversation with Global Telemetrics technical support about any problems I might have if the ship carrying my Atom to Cyprus should be delayed for any reason.

After discussions with Global Telemetrics technical support today (after reading your post) I was told that the internal backup battery in their trackers is continuously trickle charged from the main car battery.

- basically it is designed to give circa +/- 10 days (7-14 days depending on age) of backup if the main car battery goes flat or is disconnected - but still needs replacing every 5 years or so as, after 5 years, its rechargeable capacity is gradually diminished over time!

It is worth noting that if however the internal backup battery becomes fully discharged and is not immediately recharged it can then refuse to accept any further charge which would entail an engineer's visit to replace it.

If you think about it - it would be completely pointless for the internal backup battery not to be rechargeable as it would only take one episode of main battery failure or full discharge for the tracker to need a new internal battery fitted!

When my Atom was rebuilt at the factory earlier this year I disabled the Global Telemetrics tracker after informing them of the rebuild. I stated at the time it would need a new internal battery fitted when the the rebuild was complete.

When I finally contacted them to arrange an appointment for their engineer to visit the factory to fit a new battery they told me that my account entitled me to have a brand new 2018 tracker fitted F.O.C. which was done by their engineer visiting the Ariel factory at a suitable access time during the rebuild.
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

phil4

Post by phil4 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:43 am

All good info.

Thanks

stupot

Post by stupot » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:11 pm

I guess it depends on what make of tracker you have fitted. Ariel factory fitted a Tracker Monitor to my car in 2012 which is powered by the car but with a non rechargeable back up battery. Tracker also offer a Retrieve model which is not wired into the car as it’s battery powered and this would be compatible with disconnecting the car battery. I see Ariel now offer the Tracker Retrieve model as an option on the website.

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:24 pm

Just had a look at my Global Telemetrics Installation Certificate

FYI - I have a 2018 'SmarTrack - Protector Pro Global TQA453' fitted to my Atom which is a Thatcham Class 6 GPS, GSM, GPRS Stolen Vehicle tracker Recovery System for which the monthly subscription is £12

I also have a App on my smartphone which shows the position of my Atom in real time - if it is moving I can see the movement on a zoomable composite satellite worldwide map.

If I don't inform Global Telemetrics beforehand, and I am towing it on my trailer (engine off), I generally get a phone call after it has moved about 50 metres to check if it a legal 'unpowered' movement.

The internal backup battery of this particular tracker is rechargeable from the main car battery
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)