Oil change - raising the car?

drj

Oil change - raising the car?

Post by drj » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:32 pm

I've just read this in the handbook:

"The engine is tilted slightly forward so the front of the car needs to be raised up to 600mm higher than the back to ensure all the old oil is removed" - it then goes on to point out that the back of the car is very low so to get a draining tray in you might need to raise the back too - making the raise at the front even more.

Assuming that applies to my 160, how do people go about raising the front so high? Or don't you bother? And before someone suggests it, no I don't have a willing group of friends sad enough to come along and manually lift it up! And my drive doesn't really slope that much (though [thinks] the first bit is a slight rise - I could change the oil on the pavement...)  :)

l33haw

Re: Oil change - raising the car?

Post by l33haw » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:40 pm

[quote="drj"]
I've just read this in the handbook:

"The engine is tilted slightly forward so the front of the car needs to be raised up to 600mm higher than the back to ensure all the old oil is removed" - it then goes on to point out that the back of the car is very low so to get a draining tray in you might need to raise the back too - making the raise at the front even more.

Assuming that applies to my 160, how do people go about raising the front so high? Or don't you bother? And before someone suggests it, no I don't have a willing group of friends sad enough to come along and manually lift it up! And my drive doesn't really slope that much (though [thinks] the first bit is a slight rise - I could change the oil on the pavement...)  :)
[/quote]

Just jack the front up in stages until the oil stops coming out.

drj

Post by drj » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:51 pm

Yes - but my trolley jack only goes up about 400mm I think - I haven't actually measured it but I can't imagine it's 600mm.

The man over the road has a steep drive - I wonder if he'd mind oil over it... 

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:55 pm

[quote="drj"]
Yes - but my trolley jack only goes up about 400mm I think - I haven't actually measured it but I can't imagine it's 600mm.

The man over the road has a steep drive - I wonder if he'd mind oil over it...
[/quote]

Ah.

To be honest Iv never measured the height iv jacked it up to, but when the new oil goes back in the dip stick reads as it should, so I'd imagine it's not too critical.

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:40 pm

I am no expert but could it not be made easy using an oil suction pump, just £20 from amazon. I have never used one but just an idea :google:

drj

Post by drj » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:56 pm

Thanks - I haven't used one either. Apart from the mixed reviews at Amazon, there's also the issue of ensuring the pipe is going into the area which is causing the problem - not sure how you could check that.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:08 pm

Suction gadgets aren't a good idea really as they will leave what sludge there is still sitting in the bottom of the sump.

You ideally want to warm the engine so that the oil is less viscous and will flow easily, then remove the filler cap and dipstick to allow air in as the oil goes out for maximum flow.

The quicker it goes out the more sludge it will carry with it.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:11 pm

Another idea, drain car without raising front as usual, then use the oil pump tube through the drain hole pushing the tube in the right direction to syphon the remaining oil. Got to be easier than raising the car on your drive. I assume most owners would change their oil at least every 12 months, if so then i am sure if any small amount of oil remains it is not going to be at the end of its usefull life. Infact it would probably not even be dirty.

bodnet

Post by bodnet » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:28 pm

I just jack the front of my car up to the highest extent my trolley jack will go to. Never bothered measuring how high that is, or suction pumps etc...

Bod
05 Red 160 in Bristol, UK
MG ZT-T V8, Smart ForTwo...
Oh yeah and the day job involves 2x 2250bhp V16 quad-turbo MTU diesels! :)

Docmatt

Post by Docmatt » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:56 pm

To ensure all the oil is completely removed, take off the cap and take out the stick, take out the sump plug and go for a little drive. When you get a dry oil smell with a bit of smoke then all the oil has been drained!  O0

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:07 am

[quote="Docmatt"]
To ensure all the oil is completely removed, take off the cap and take out the stick, take out the sump plug and go for a little drive. When you get a dry oil smell with a bit of smoke then all the oil has been drained!  O0
[/quote]

Dont do this - this chap has got things a bit mixed up - easy to do - do the drive as normal, return with oil nice and hot, then put a tray underneath and catch tank, unscrew sump plug almost until off then remove oil filler cap and dip stick - then remove sump plug and get ready for the deluge of oil. Using the special cut 4 inch plastic drain pipe, remove oil filter too. Clean area and mating surfaces

Lightly lubricate new filter seal with fresh oil and screw on until a natural stop, then give a extra quarter turn - not too much as to crush the oil seal...use Honda Oil Filter...replace sump plug - use new brass washer or fiber (replace what come off) and refill with semi synthetic Castrol....Unless you have Dymags fitted then use a very expensive oil .......like Motul, Millers..... plenty about....3 times the price for you to throw your cash at... :roflp: