Reverse gear problem...

mk1 Andi

Reverse gear problem...

Post by mk1 Andi » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:06 pm

...well 5th and 6th doesn`t work well either...  :-

I have already dismounted the gear shift mechanism between the seats, so gear 5 and 6 are already working better, but far away from good.
But i still have got the problem with the reverse gear.....
Before i ripped the gear lever apart, the reverse gear worked 3 of 5 times...  :D

Car is a 220 AA2.

What could cause that kind of problem?
I don`t think that its the Solenoid that`s not working, because the car was standing when i tried to change gears.

I would be glad if somebody could help me with that.... :tu:
Greetings Austrian Andi  :vroom:

mk1 Andi

Re: Reverse gear problem...

Post by mk1 Andi » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:25 pm

From another thread:
"That reverse gear solenoid (on top of the gearbox is powered by 2 wires - Ground/Earth and +12 volts from the ecu. Above about 12mph it is +12volts and solenoid is engaged preventing selection of reverse gear, below about 9 mph it is 0v (disengaged)."

So when the engine isn`t running, the reverse gear should always be able to be shifted?!  ???

DanSki

Post by DanSki » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:43 pm

Are you sure that it's not the clutch on it's way out? My clutch went from working well to not very well very quickly. New clutch sorted it out - just wish it wasn't an engine out job!

smokin

Post by smokin » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:55 pm

Andi,

Is the lever moving far enough to the right?

I'd drop the linkages off the shifter (engine end) as they're only R-clipped on and make sure you can select all gears by hand. If you can then it's a lever / cable problem.

Cheers
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

mk1 Andi

Post by mk1 Andi » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:10 pm

Thanks for the reply!
In my case the problem was the bracket that holts the shift cable to the gearbox!
It was mounted too low, so when i moved the gear lever to the right the cable jammed itself
In the hose!
I put 2 spacers with 5mm between gearbox and bracket, and everything worked well again!
The guy that had the car before me, was a little sloppy.....  ::)