how to replace / remove / check front wheel bearing

Muetze

how to replace / remove / check front wheel bearing

Post by Muetze » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:51 pm

hi everyone,

i hope, someone in here is more of a mechanic than me...
trouble is : allthou my atom (uk-build atom 3) has only ran 250km for now, i allready have a strange noise from the front.
i checked the brake pads an they had a small ridge at one side. i trimmed it but the noise remained.
since it is definitly head-linked i wanted to give the bearings a closer look...
and here the hard time starts :
i got the brakes off completly without trouble, disk removed.
but right there i am stuck.
i tried to turn that central nut but didnt want to bent things, so i didnt push it too hard. i mean, the car is brandnew and anything should move quit easily,shouldnt it?
anyone an idea on how i can get the thing sorted?
i can take some pictures on the situation i´m stuck right now,if needed...

thanks a bunch and enjoy your weekend  8)

Terry Kennedy

Re: how to replace / remove / check front wheel bearing

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:31 am

[quote="Muetze"]
but right there i am stuck.
i tried to turn that central nut but didnt want to bent things, so i didnt push it too hard. i mean, the car is brandnew and anything should move quit easily,shouldnt it?
anyone an idea on how i can get the thing sorted?[/quote]

If it is anything like the US Brammo Atoms, there's some serious torque used when tightening it (180 ft-lbs). When TMI replaced my front bushings, they wound up needing to use a breaker bar and jump up and down on it to free the bolt.

Before you proceed further, you should consider what you're going to do if you find that indeed there is a problem with the bearings - you'll need a hydraulic bearing press to get them out and press new ones in. At 250KM, I'd think the factory would replace them (there was word of some bad bearings in a batch some time ago). And if it isn't the bearings, you'll probably need to get the factory involved anyway. So, I'd suggest stopping where you are and contacting the factory first.