Engine monitor question??? R-Vit

dazzas-atom300

Engine monitor question??? R-Vit

Post by dazzas-atom300 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:21 pm

Team, does the Atom have a ODB engine diagnostic port, most Jap cars have... And I'm pretty sure the type R has...
I have a Blitz r-VIT I device i had in my old STi that works on this port, if it doesn't then its time foe ebay if it does i'll pop it on the Atom... ;D

Thanks

Daz

Scuffers

Re: Engine monitor question??? R-Vit

Post by Scuffers » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:38 pm

technically, yes it can have (as in the ECU supports it)

No, it's not wired out.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:57 pm

How hard a job is it to wire out ?  Solder a connector to the ECU PCB or more work than that ?  Is the ECU behind the seat as on my Mk 1 ?

Ben

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:51 pm

Certainly behind the seat on the Mk2.

Would be interested in the 'out' details from the ECU

swissatom

Post by swissatom » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:14 pm

Behind the seat on the 245 and 300 but not on the 220 I believe

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:57 pm

"The Blitz R-VIT (Racing Vehicle Information Technology) is a state of the art monitoring system that can read and display up to 20 different types of Real Timer information provided by the factory ECU. The Blitz R-VIT is a fully digital monitoring device with 5 different types of digital displaying capabilities (Needle Meter, Ellipse Meter, Bar Graph, Triple Monitor, and Six-fold Monitor). The R-VIT feature peak-hold recording, playback features, that can record and replay up to 99 seconds. Limits can be set in flash and audible warnings to notify the driver of different engine variables, thus reducing the chances of damaging the motor. (R-VIT is featured in a 1/2 Din size)"

Why do you want to do this?  I agree that in a passenger saloon, where you're insulated from what the engine's doing, you might, just might, want to see that info. But on an Atom your ears and pants tell you what's happening every millisecond a lot better than any meter could. And it only records up to 99 seconds and you'll be having fun WAAAAY longer than that.

Personally I wouldn't mess with the ECU for any reason whatsoever, because if I cocked it up, that would be a pity and leave my car in a mess for far too long. But then, as is common knowledge, I'm a wuss.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

BewstAdd1ct

Post by BewstAdd1ct » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:09 pm

not only that, but if you wanted to be certain something was happening by looking at a meter, youd be taking your eyes off the road.  might be helpful for diagnostics, however.

if a production PCM is being used, connector 1 pins 15 and 16 are serial data, which would go to pin 2 of the DLC

DLC pins 4 and 5 are ground for the scan tool and ECM, pin 16 is power.

you should be albe to find a DLC pigtail just about anywhere, as theyre standard for all OBDII equipped vehicles in the US (every car 1996MY and up)

Scuffers

Post by Scuffers » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:24 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
How hard a job is it to wire out ?  Solder a connector to the ECU PCB or more work than that ?  Is the ECU behind the seat as on my Mk 1 ?

Ben
[/quote]

you would need to add pins to the ECU 'E' plug that's part of the car loom

the ECU itself is not touched, however, not sure what you would hope to gain from doing this, if datalogging is your thing then buy a K-Pro board and fit that to the ECU (in place of the K100 that you will have), then use a laptop to store the datalogging output.

Driver

Post by Driver » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:28 pm

Not sure if it's Federal Law yet but all US Production vehicles since 1996 all have the same OBD-II plug on them. I haven't checked with Brammo but it may be they are planning as well to keep it in the wiring loom for their vehicles. Definitely simplifys things when it's there for scan tools and such.

BewstAdd1ct

Post by BewstAdd1ct » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:01 am

yes, it is federal law, driver.

Driver

Post by Driver » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:20 am

I thought it was.

Could that tag line be any larger.....  :o

FAST BUCK

Post by FAST BUCK » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:03 am

is that a bottle of nitros from Wal-mart?

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:38 am

[quote="Scuffers"]
[quote="benyeats"]

Ben
[/quote]

you would need to add pins to the ECU 'E' plug that's part of the car loom

the ECU itself is not touched, however, not sure what you would hope to gain from doing this, if datalogging is your thing then buy a K-Pro board and fit that to the ECU (in place of the K100 that you will have), then use a laptop to store the datalogging output.

[/quote]

Was just interested.  My car actually has a Pectel ECU with all sorts of bits I can't access without some expensive software

Ben

BewstAdd1ct

Post by BewstAdd1ct » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:53 am

[quote="FAST BUCK"]
is that a bottle of nitros from Wal-mart?
[/quote]

lol, no.  just walmart bags next to my nitrous bottle.

Grocery getter 5000.  get it ;)

IDSmoker

Post by IDSmoker » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:43 pm

[quote="Driver"]
Not sure if it's Federal Law yet but all US Production vehicles since 1996 all have the same OBD-II plug on them. I haven't checked with Brammo but it may be they are planning as well to keep it in the wiring loom for their vehicles. Definitely simplifys things when it's there for scan tools and such.
[/quote]

Has anyone heard whether a USAtom with an Ecotec engine will have an OBD-II plug?

Not sure if anyone is interested, but I came across the Intercepter Scan Gauge while reading the Dodge Magnum owners forum, and thought I would post a copy of the link here.  There is apparently a special edition of the gauge for the Chevy Cobalt SS which also uses an Ecotech engine, though I'm unsure whether it's the same engine Brammo is using...