Cape Town Turbo Atom Pictures

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: Cape Town Turbo Atom Pictures

Post by John Scherrer » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:23 pm

Good to know it's now in safe hands and being brought back to life  ..

Thanks for posting :)
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

dc5ian

Post by dc5ian » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:25 pm

[quote="Jx H"]
Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but i think it is relevant.
Colin H's AA3 Turbo is still alive and well (again), now with a new owner in Johannesburg. ( i am not sure how many people owned this atom between Colin and now)

The new owner brought it to me, to look at a low power issue, and ''loud exhaust'' tone. Upon inspection, i found the turbo hanging from its flange by only one bolt! Obviously someone in the past had been fiddling without proper knowledge..... sigh.
After removing the turbo, i found the Garrett Gt35 to have excessive bearing noise, and impeller play aswell. This is a DBB turbo btw. Not good. The cause.... a partially blocked oil supply port to the turbo... Silicone sealer!! Local Garrett dealer had no stock, so i opted for a Precision 6262 SP with a .63 AR hot side. The wastegate was not seating properly anymore either, so a Precision 46mm V-band gate was installed aswell. Currently the car is at our dyno tuning shop, and is now experiencing a fuel pressure issue out the blue... this was determined to be a tired Walbro fuel pump. Replaced it with an AEM 335 alcohol friendly pump today. Fuel tank goes back in tomorrow, and dyno work continues. Up and till the pump packed up today, figures were around 260wkw @ 0.6 bar on the wheels.
[/quote]

what made you go for the Precision 6262 turbo. a maxed out smaller turbo would spool quicker and would make the car a lot less of a handful trying to put the power down out of the corners.

i have a small Precision turbo which i have maxed out at 453 bhp and 366 ft lbs  at 1.2 bar

at low boost 0.4 bar i make 300.

i originally had a log manifold, i then changed this to a sidewinder manifold and got a increase of 70bhp.

Jx H

Post by Jx H » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:09 am

The owner wanted to retain the original type of spec he bought the car with. His aim is 300wkw (+-400whp). The Gt35 that was on the car is out of stock at our local Garrett dealer till end Jan 2016, and the 6262 was the next best available option. He didnt want to re engineer everything from scratch either.
The car is licensed and will mainly be used as a daily driver/toy, with the odd track day and drag event in between.
The car is not as laggy as one would think. Its on boost around 4000 rpm already, and pulling strong.
The Motec M400 will also be setup in the near future to take advantage of all its boost & traction control features aswell... its there, we can use it to our best advantage.
Last edited by Jx H on Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jx H

Post by Jx H » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:40 pm

All went smooth at Dyno, no more issues!! Final figures on the wheels @0.8 bar: 274kw/355.9nm. (we ran out of injector capacity to safely increase boost more, .... for now.  :vroom:
Owner very excited and collecting the car tomorrow.
Attachments
Atom 2.jpg
Atom 1.jpg