Brammo Atom 2 Cooling Systems

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
revvhappy

Brammo Atom 2 Cooling Systems

Post by revvhappy » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:36 pm

I recently purchased a 2006 Atom (Ecotec) and have done 2 track days with it. It has an upgraded supercharger and runs E85, the last roller dyno session revealed 315hp and 290lb-ft. The car is silly fun on track with street tires, and magical with big Hoosiers. Due to excessive fuel consumption and difficulty finding E85 in some places, I'm going to have it tuned for 93 octane gasoline.

After reading Cobalt SS, Saturn Red Line, and other Kit Car forums there seem to be some upgrades that help cooling on track, add reliability, or add ease of maintenance. I'm hoping that someone can steer me in a good direction as I attempt to combine projects:

Project 1: Remote oil filter and cooler. There are 2 options here: a. Replace the oil filter/cap with an aftermarket unit that includes ports for AN fittings, or b. replace the oil cooler with a plate that includes ports for AN fittings. I would like to remove the small engine-mounted oil cooler because it's a possible failure point for both oil and coolant, so option "b" seems more relevant. Is there a product that replaces the oil filter in the OE position if I use the plate over the oil cooler ports and a remote filter?

Project 2: Lower Intake Air Temp. The Harrop Supercharger already has a dual pass end plate. I've read that other people who track their Atoms get reasonable IATs with the stock horizontally-mounted "oil cooler/fan" and a large coolant reservoir (after making sure that the pump was wired properly to spin the correct direction). I would like to use the current engine coolant tank as an "Option B" reservoir for supercharger cooling. I need guidance on what to do with all of the engine coolant hoses that run to the engine-mounted oil cooler and the coolant tank that I want to repurpose. I realize that I'll have to re-route/add some hoses to make this work.

Project 3: Engine temperature. Add a high quality oil cooler that will be plumbed in with the remote filter system. Modify the thermostat for better flow.

revvhappy

Re: Brammo Atom 2 Cooling Systems

Post by revvhappy » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:44 am

After extensive reading and chatting with DDM Works I'll:

1. Add a remote oil filter and cooler by replacing the OE oil filter cap/filter with an aluminum unit with two AN fittings. I'll remove the OE oil cooler, pull the internal tube, and block the two ports with NPT plugs. A remote cooler and filter will be plumbed to the new DDM filter adapter.

2. Add a second large coolant tank for the supercharger (Option B). I'll replace the OE water neck with a billet neck that eliminates the heater and oil cooler ports. Two 1/8" NPT ports will accommodate the temp sensor and a bleed line to the new coolant tank.

I'll document the process in a new thread.