The Bastard's Build

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
cvjoint

Re: The Bastard's Build

Post by cvjoint » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:18 pm

simonrhart wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:47 pm I enjoyed that! nice driving. Looks like you are having a blast. Regarding data acquisitions, dump the Race Technology and get some nice AIM kit with lap counting. You can then overlay laps and compare the entire lap along with many sectors you define. It's leaps and bounds ahead and you don't need any engineers to look at this data either.

I noticed you don't have the bug splatters installed, any reason for it?
I gave up on the Race Tech gear from the get go. I'm using RaceChrono with 10hz GPS receiver and Go Pro 8 Black. RaceChrono does overlays too, but the last two races my GPS receiver couldn't lock onto a satellite. I think it's busted. How do you effectively use the data? Do you watch the video with the GPS overlays by sector side by side? The other bit would be engine data. Since I'm logging with Hondata for my tuner I'm not sure how to tap into the engine data while Hondata is logging to overlay throttle inputs.

Bug splatters ?! haha The little plexi screens? I bought some plexi and will cut my own for next season.

Anon

Post by Anon » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:29 pm

Sorry I missed this...

If using an AIM data logger, they have a piece of software called Race Studio Analysis. You can then analyse every single lap and even overlay them against each other. Using their Race Studio 3 software you can create your own sectors however you want - this is a really slick feature against any track you run at so you can easily compare where you are slow or fast etc. There is a limit, I think it's something like 10 sectors or so. The software is a bit cumbersome but once you get the hang of it it's not that bad.

Watching the video back with the sensor data can be done easily if you purchase the smartyCAM - this just connects to the dash via a multiplexer CAN bus device, the GPS module plugs into this and the dash connects to the BUS. I don't have a smartyCAM but I have used them in the past. I am undecided whether to get one for my Atom 4 because they only support 1080p. Alternatively you can use Race Render - a very popular video race video editing software that allows you to export your AIM log data and import it into Race Render along with your GoPro footage and then sync them - they have some nice tools to allow you to sync quite easily. Once synced, you can display them on screen like sectors times, rpm etc.

Regarding the engine sensors, I would of thought you'd be able to get to these channels via the dash because it has to connect to the ECU. So almost double logging, one for you and one for your tuner. I don't know how to get to the Hondata logs.

cvjoint

Post by cvjoint » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:23 pm

Good point on the dash sensors. There is definitely some double logging/displaying going on.

Your gave me an idea. I saw that my Race Chrono can output data in several formats. So what I really need is the software to view it and compare it. I can import my video and GPS overlay into the right software for comparisons. Heck, I can try different formats and therefore different software programs. Making custom sectors for sure is a great tool, whichever one does that. I should also mount my GPS more rigidly to the frame. We can't have big error on that.

Figure you guys my want to see how the Atom stacks up to a Radical now:
Last edited by cvjoint on Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:44 pm

:pop:

Great viewing!

Do all the cleaners get given Porsches? :laugh:

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:57 pm

Lovely stuff! 8)
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

cvjoint

Post by cvjoint » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:01 pm

Karl V wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:44 pm :pop:

Great viewing!

Do all the cleaners get given Porsches? :laugh:
105 db days at Laguna Seca brings out the fastest toys. For whatever reason, more than half the field is Porsche. We don't have that many cleaners, so there must be some other pretend guys in their midst.

Anon

Post by Anon » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:10 pm

Nice driving, you did well to keep up with the Radical. You can see he was pushing because the front would lose grip then the rear that is what that car does when you push. Not sure which engine he had in it, the 1340cc or 1500cc. Looking at it on corner exit looked like the former but hard to say?

cvjoint

Post by cvjoint » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:23 pm

simonrhart wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:10 pm Nice driving, you did well to keep up with the Radical. You can see he was pushing because the front would lose grip then the rear that is what that car does when you push. Not sure which engine he had in it, the 1340cc or 1500cc. Looking at it on corner exit looked like the former but hard to say?
226 bhp engine, that's the 1,500cc version. I have twice that but I'm sure the drag my Atom has with dual element wings back and front, sidepods, no widshield, etc is also twice as high. Imagine if we could reduce the drag to match that of a hypercar, with 450hp I would go 30 mph faster on the straights, and obliterate any competition in the process.

Joe is the fastest Radical driver I ever met at the track. His record there is a 1:27.x. That's McLaren Senna with pro driver and factory support fast. On this day it was 40*C so we were all melting. My friend's McLaren overheated in a couple of laps. Most cars were out by the end of the day. My water was 99*C max and later found out I had a radiator leak too haha. Atom is chillin' I recommend the sidepods to anyone that is running boost with the Atom.

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:49 am

Out of interest, what diameter is your crank pulley on the K24? 170 or 150mm?
Atom 3.5R, Black+Red flashes, CF front & rear wings, CF bonnet & mud guards.  Bristol

cvjoint

Post by cvjoint » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:52 pm

Sir Nick wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:49 am Out of interest, what diameter is your crank pulley on the K24? 170 or 150mm?
It's a 139.7mm ATI Super Damper: part no. 918477

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:41 am

Humm, small. So doesn't give much boost in the SC then?
Atom 3.5R, Black+Red flashes, CF front & rear wings, CF bonnet & mud guards.  Bristol

cvjoint

Post by cvjoint » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:58 pm

Sir Nick wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:41 am Humm, small. So doesn't give much boost in the SC then?
The superdamper was a must have, and second to that, yes, spinning the supercharger as low as I could. The smallest boost (largest diameter) pulley Jaydee makes for the C38R is a 90mm, so the calculation for the 90 mm pulley I got is: (8000 x 139.7 x 6)/90=74,507rpm out of 90,000 rpm max allowed by Rotrex C38R (83%). This gave me 14psi.

The engine is 11:1 compression. I'm running high octane but the combustion can get way too hot and detonate. Our ambient temps get up to 45*C here on track and I run the car full on for 25 minutes at a time. If I got a 75mm pulley I could max out the blower but there is no way I could run it at 20psi on 11:1 compression!

I think I already blew something in the motor on the last track day. Hoping it's just the headgasket. I tried to get APR head bolts but the ones they make for the K24Z7 didn't actually fit and the OEM ones probably stretched too much.

reg

Post by reg » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:35 pm

Looked at Ciro for some aero but alarmed at the movement with the front wing? Seems very excessive?

cvjoint

Post by cvjoint » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:47 pm

reg wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:35 pm Looked at Ciro for some aero but alarmed at the movement with the front wing? Seems very excessive?
Agreed. Most common comment I get. It did stay on the car a whole season now, so it's safe to run.

reg

Post by reg » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:45 pm

Another question. As you’re in the US you know Palatov. He says that his bell cranks make the world of difference. Have you seen, tried them??