Bedford 30th April

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
Old Bill

Bedford 30th April

Post by Old Bill » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:59 pm

Anyone up for this. Another Saturday track day on the GT circuit. Great track to push the car, plenty of run off & over
4 miles long. Dan & Myself booked & hopefully Paul bringing the 3.5r. Shakedown for Spa.

Bill

Peter255

Re: Bedford 30th April

Post by Peter255 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:20 pm

Definitely keen but its quite a drive for me!

4 hour round trip is not ideal. :-
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

dc5ian

Post by dc5ian » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:16 pm

i did this a few months back, great track. is a 4 hour round trip for me, i usually stay in a hotel the night before. i just about got past noise which is very strict there.

reg

Post by reg » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:57 pm

Very local to me, what is like for a a first time track outing..yes, I'll be that 'one' in the way  :)
'he was reet fast'

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:05 pm

[quote="dc5ian"]
i did this a few months back, great track. is a 4 hour round trip for me, i usually stay in a hotel the night before. i just about got past noise which is very strict there.
[/quote]

The drive-by test I guess.... ???

dc5ian

Post by dc5ian » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:21 pm

[quote="Peter255"]
[quote="dc5ian"]
[/quote]

The drive-by test I guess.... ???
[/quote]

i failed the static test, i had to change maps to a low boost and i just got on. the track was very very wet so i was short shifting really so never got picked up by the drive by.

my mate was having trouble with the dry bys, he was only doing part of the track in part throttle as he was so close to the limit. thye dont give you any warnings, as soon as you go over the limit your off.

smokin

Post by smokin » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:10 pm

I did a Palmersport corp event at Bedford a few years ago before they had the Atom in their lineup (great day)

http://www.palmersport.com/our-cars/ariel-atom-3.aspx

As I had rolled up in the Atom they did a static test for me and said there was no way it would be allowed to run on a trackday. I presume the Atoms they run now are muffled or the mics are turned off
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:37 am

[quote="reg"]
...what is like for a a first time track outing..
[/quote]

Perfect.

It's the best track to start out on.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:41 am

I am not worried over the static test unless they stick the mic up the tail pipe! 101dB(A) should be fine. Its more than Combe and I've never been close to the limit there (decatted Atom2 with stock back box). I forget what they measure the car at exactly, but its 90something and not close to 100!

However the drive by of 87.5dB(A) is low and clearly completely dependant on how and where its measured. Frankly in isolation the figure is utterly useless. How far from the car and under what throttle? I'd guess on a straight (ie flat out) but how far from the track?

Smokin, do you have a sport backbox fitted, or a decat? Basically is your car un-usually loud for any reason?

I'll be proper peeved if I get black flagged before the tyres even get upto temp due to the drive by noise check due to the s/c whine! I note the palmersport cars are all NA.  ::)
Last edited by Peter255 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

reg

Post by reg » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:45 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="reg"]
[/quote]

Perfect.

[/quote]

Awesome, I have the standard polished silencer with a de-cat, is this going to be an issue with the noise limits there? If not I'll look at booking it I think.
'he was reet fast'

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:51 am

[quote="reg"]
[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="reg"]
[/quote]

Perfect.

[/quote]

Awesome, I have the standard polished silencer with a de-cat, is this going to be an issue with the noise limits there? If not I'll look at booking it I think.
[/quote]

Should be absolutely fine. They're very strict, but any 3 with a standard exhaust should pass without problems. Also, the drive by points are easy to spot and a small lift off will sort it...

My 2/220 occasionally has problems, but a nice warm engine usually sorts it out.

It's a totally flat track and easy to learn over the course of a day.

I suggest you go out with someone who knows the track to show you the lines, and also go out with an experienced Atom owner to show you what your car is actually capable of. That's mind blowing.

Hmmm... this might be a good first track day of the year for the club to attend en masse... It's certainly got me thinking. Who are the organisers?
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

reg

Post by reg » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:12 am

It's MSV. Totally agree with learning the lines and it would be great to passenger in a car with an experienced driver. I was watching this last night, it's utterly brilliant. There's no doubt there is much to learn!
'he was reet fast'

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:15 am

Oooh found this:

https://secure-mobile.motorsportvision. ... 0Terms.pdf

So:

Static test is 0.5 m from exhaust tip at 45% angle at 3/4 max revs. 101dB(A) should be fine for a stock back box with decat as that's similar to combe (where I've had no issues).

BUT!!!

Drive by is only 20m from car under full throttle at over 60mph. 87.5 dB(A) is IMO VERY dodgy for a decatted s/c Atom. That's s/c whine, tyre roar, wind noise, and exhaust note combined flat out.

Plus reading forums they often don't give you ANY warnings (as this document erroneously states). One trigger of the drive by tester and your off with no refund. :td:

smokin

Post by smokin » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:33 am

mine's a de-cat S/C with std box. I suspect I was tooo honest with the 3/4 throttle as I was a bit of a noob back then.
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

phil4

Post by phil4 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:26 pm

Cant' do 3/4 max revs while static in mine, as I mentioned a while back.  Rev limiter kicks in at about 5000rpm.