2015 Race Season

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
fieldl

2015 Race Season

Post by fieldl » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:46 am

Has finished and so has my car.  This season has been pretty tough.
I built a new engine that was putting out 270 to the wheels and blew it in our first race, stupid problem and all my own fault for not spending more time testing and running it in.
Second race weekend I was hit by a Mercedes SLS GT3 in qualifying and wiped out.  The team managed to get me back out in my second race and I scored a class win from the back which was the highlight of my year to be honest.

Last race weekend the car was amazing, new ARB's front and rear made the car SO SO different it just wasn't a handful anymore but was very different. 

Then this at the end of lap 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw7W2Lnn__Y

From the hospitality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwz5ooyU2-U

Probably worth adding that I hit the wall at around 120MPH, the driveshafts came out and split the oil filter causing the fire.  I walked away totally unscathed.  Brian in the blue Atom, hurt his wrist where he hit the wall.  Both drivers alright both cars need work.
Chassis is bent so I need a new one.....
Engine is thankfully fine so is gearbox, phew.
Chassis is not exactly standard with the gear linkage, side pods and ARBs all attached to it.  Quite a job for the off season.
Last edited by fieldl on Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: 2015 Race Season

Post by John Scherrer » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:10 am

That's a real shame Lee after all your hard work ..

Looks like your blue Atom friend tagged you from behind?
Was he slip streaming close behind and misjudged the gap as he pulled out to overtake?

I couldn't see any other cars behind ..
Looks like you managed to develop the car to be a lot more competitive this season  :vroom:

When you get the time, please tell us more about those anti roll bars?

Glad you're both ok ..
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold