Eddie FourFather Hill Ariel Atom II Horsepower Upgrade

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
FourFather

Eddie FourFather Hill Ariel Atom II Horsepower Upgrade

Post by FourFather » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:14 pm

Here are a couple of screen shots of my Ariel Atom II going from zero to 110 MPH. The first printout shows the session timer at 1:14.195 and the speed at 1 mph (the first movement from stopped), and the second printout is at 101 MPH with the session timer at 1:20.715. So 1 mph to 101 mph in 6.52 seconds. I am pretty happy with this, considering the tires were cold and the track was so dusty that I could not use full throttle until more than two seconds into the run, when the tires finally hooked up, at about 40 mph, as shown on the data log.

I am trying to learn how to use my HPtuners equipment to do my own tuning. I bought Greg Banish's CD and his Engine Management Advanced Tuning book and have spent a lot of time, so far, trying to learn. It is proving to be a real challenge, but at least my wide open throttle performance is pretty good.

This run was a second gear start, so there is only one shift, at 8,192 rpm and 78 mph, from second to third gear, and I ran it up to 110mph in third, at 8,082 rpm, before I shut it down.

I built the Ecotec LSJ engine myself, except for the Darton sleeve installation and the CNC porting of the cylinder head. I increased the bore from 88 to 92 mm to increase the displacement from 2.0 to 2.2 liters. I used Carrillo forged steel rods and Diamond forged pistons with Total Seal rings. Supetech valve springs, oversize stainless intake valves and Inconel exhaust valves, and titanium retainers. I used Comp cams, and have a stainless and stepped header/collector, with a shorty FlowMaster muffler. I use a tunable water/methanol injector, and have two aluminum intercooller radiators with two large Bosch pumps, and four full-time electric fans on those. I use the Harrop TVS supercharger on the LSJ intake manifold that I hand ported and matched to the larger head ports.

Big fun so far-

Eddie

FourFather

Re: Eddie FourFather Hill Ariel Atom II Horsepower Upgrade

Post by FourFather » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:26 pm

Thank you.

It has been a fun project already, and I can hardly wait to get it back on the road race course.  :vroom:  :checkeredflag:

Eddie ;D

Yorkshire

Post by Yorkshire » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:01 pm

Have you had it on a rolling road at all Eddie.

Just wondered what sort of power you ended up with after all the modifications

Cheers

Stuart

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:32 pm

[quote="Yorkshire"]
Have you had it on a rolling road at all Eddie.

Just wondered what sort of power you ended up with after all the modifications

Cheers

Stuart
[/quote]

I have not, yet.  I'm trying to get the tuning a bit closer before I do that.  I'm quite curious myself what the number will be.

Eddie

Yorkshire

Post by Yorkshire » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:51 pm

Ok well keep us updated.

I have just dropped my 3.5R today for a full steel 2.2 K20Z motor fitting.

Very similar specification but standard overbored block (not darton lined).

Steel stroked crank / pistons / rods etc.

Ported head with larger inlet and exhaust valves and new cams and springs.

Ported JRSC with factory chargecooler matched to head.

I know before we do the Dyno run that the restriction to maximum power for me will be the JRSC.

It cannot flow enough cfm to make the power the engine can do.

We are concentrating on maximum power but without excessive heat build up which will just drain any useable power once running on track.

Next addition likely to be custom exhaust and silencer together with custom inlet and TVS 1320 charger which is so much more efficient than JRSC.

Will be good to hear how you do.

Once i have this complete all i have to do is learn to drive like you  :vroom:

Cheers

Stuart

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:51 pm

Sounds like a very nice build!  Please update us when you can.

Heating of the intake charge between the supercharger and the engine is a very real problem with the Ecotec's Laminova intake manifold heat exchanger.  I have not looked at the charge cooler you will be using, but I'll bet it is better than what we have with the Ecotec.  A picture of your intercooler would be welcome. 

I'm not turning my Harrop TVS as fast as I'd like to eventually get to, but I already have intake heat issues.

"drive like me", do you mean like a 78 year old retired drag racer?  :)

Eddie