Advice needed please

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
Yorkshire

Re: Advice needed please

Post by Yorkshire » Sat May 24, 2014 1:17 pm

Hi James

I don't know the previous owner just met him at Oulton Park on a trackday. He had just got his car and was struggling to get to grips with it. I took him out in my car to try and give him some pointers but then when he went out to try again he went off track quite quick and luckily he didn't hit anything. Packed up his car and went home (think he had scared himself)

Next time i saw him he had the front and rear wings which he had bought from Ariel and the brake upgrade he had engineered by a local company. He didn't want to pay the Alcon price so i think he bought some Subaru Impreza discs and calipers and had them engineered to fit. It didn't look a bad job actually certainly didn't look like a home done job. Only reason i mentioned it to you was if you buy any new pads you might order Atom pads thinking they fit. He didn't even run that day as his pads were down too low. He said he hadn't used car for a long time then next thing i saw it on pistonheads.

I thought his car had been mapped at TDI North but i might be wrong. If you have the flashpro you should be able to set up the rev limit yourself. As you mentioned its in the launch control settings i think !!!! Remember seeing it in there some where as i had to re insert mine after TDI remapped my last one just for that very reason of noise tests. You could always set it lower at 4000 just whatever makes it pass the test and not have the induction noise. Good Luck sorting it as it will be virtually impossible to reduce the induction noise from the Rotrex.

Cheers

Stuart

Jamesw

Post by Jamesw » Sat May 24, 2014 2:01 pm

Hi Stuart

Wow!!! Fascinating post! Thanks mate! I brought it in december, he hadn't used it for 18 months. Sat in his garage, the guys was obviously doing well for himself, got a big house, brand new c63 on the drive. Came across a nice guy. This car ticked all the boxes, low owners, seriously low miles, massive, massive spec! Was too good to be true!

Im very careful and fussy before i track my cars. I put it into backdraft motorsport for a service and check over everything! The guy there was very interested in the car! couldn't believe the power of it, but found a few things wrong. The brake master cylinder needed changing, brakes were all bleed out, also the suspension…..which were brand spanking new nitrons…..were absolutely miles out, not set up and literally just plonked on the car!!!! So these might have not helped him on track.

I then booked it into TTS who were the guys that built the forged engine and installed the charger set-up for 7k! The engine was running a little rich, probably form the exhaust setup install…but all running 100% perfect! In addition to this i purchased new wheels and tried the avon tyres.

I find it interesting he would spend what ….2-3k on on the aero…. 2-3k on the nitrons….over 2k on the full exhaust set-up but then cut corners on the brakes….strange.

After my first day at snett i was extremely impressed with the car!!! extremely well balanced and set up, the back end was a joy! brakes solid, tyres solid etc…… Will be a proper weapon when I'm on top of it!! Never driving anything with this much speed before!

Thanks for the heads up on the brake info mate!!! Really grateful!!!!

Best regards

James

Yorkshire

Post by Yorkshire » Sat May 24, 2014 2:37 pm

As far as i know the Rotrex was on it when he got it and the 7K TTS charged was probably just for the engine!!

I spoke to TTS regarding a Rotrex and that alone is 6K for a whole new install. In the end i decided to stick with the Jackson Racing Charger but just turn the boost up a bit  ;D

My car is currently having a chargecooler fitted and being remapped to 350 ish although it is then going to TDI North to see if it will take anymore boost. Who knows i might have a fully forged engine soon aswell when this one blows up  >:(

Just had some wheels made so i can run 265 rears and 200 front slicks see if i can get a bit more grip for the extra power. Will be doing quite a few trackdays this year as i'm not competing fully in Atom Cup this year (only doing 3 rounds). Will look out for you but i don't often go all way south just do loads at Donington / Cadwell / Oulton and Croft. Be interesting to see if Rotrex any quicker down straights with extra power.

Anyway hope you keep enjoying it. The cars are great fun (i'm on my 4th)

All the best

Stuart  :vroom:

Jamesw

Post by Jamesw » Tue May 27, 2014 6:58 am

Cheers for the info Stu ;) greatly appreciated!!

Cannot wait to get this back on track!

Set of slicks! Thats a nice improvement on size aswell!!! Should be a nice step!!!! ;)

Im eyeing up a gold track day at donny at the end of july now with a db limit of 118db,,,, the day is a bit pricey but at least i get a full day of action and not worrying about noise!!!

have a good one mate ;)

J