Pan Delta Super Racing Festival 2013

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
fieldl

Pan Delta Super Racing Festival 2013

Post by fieldl » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:21 pm

It was my final race of the 2013 Championship last weekend and the first race with the Quaife sequential fitted.
I came 2nd in class and 5th overall, behind another Atom.  The blue car has somewhat more power than me, with the engine being very well modified.  Oh well there's 2013 to look forward to.

The results of the Championship I came 2nd in Class C (sub 2l) for the year again behind the blue Atom that has beaten me every race.

Pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151606842686956.1073741828.685746955&type=1&l=1a005d8617

I'll get some video up soon.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: Pan Delta Super Racing Festival 2013

Post by John Scherrer » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:58 pm

You've done well Lee ! - Sounds like you need to investigate getting some more power if you want to beat that blue Atom ..

Do you think the new sequential gearbox has made the car more competitive ?
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

fieldl

Post by fieldl » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:17 am

Guess I should add a bit of commentary. 
In the run up to the event I was still uncertain if I'd actually be racing or not.  We'd had problems with exhaust heat probably caused by the exhaust being too restrictive and the map running some pretty advanced ignition timings.  So we replaced the exhaust with a straight through pipe and wrapped the life out of it with heat wrap.  The stock exhaust got so hot the plastic covers for the coils had melted as had the wiring to the coils.  All had to be replaced.

The electrical gremlins didn't stop there either.  I went for practice on Thursday and did one out lap and an in lap, the car was all over the place and clearly not working properly.  Some work overnight and I was ready for scrutineering on Friday, where the car was failed due to the fire extinguisher not being big enough, despite it never being a problem before.  Quick addition of another extinguisher and we were all set.

Official practice on Friday afternoon was frustrating.  Immediately on pulling out of the pit lane it was obvious the car was only running on three cylinders.  Quick back into the pit lane and strip the car down again.  The car had spark to the plugs, swapped the coils everything seemed to work.  Later in the night we found that the wiring to the injector on cylinder 2 had broken in the loom.  Side effect of having the car apart so much over the last few weeks I guess.

Qualifying on Saturday morning saw the slicks go on the car.  I tend to run Dunlop Direzza 03G semi-slicks for practice and race on Yokohama Advan A005's.  The difference in handling between the two is amazing but tyres in China and expensive and hard to get so this choice is dicatated by my wallet.  Prior to Qualifying I had completed maybe 6 laps on the new gearbox and still wasn't confident with how it works.

So I go out and the car is flying, it all came together at once the new map worked, the gearbox worked, the exhaust temps were managed and the slicks dial out nearly all the understeer.  I did 6 laps in total and had no issues.  Return to the pits showed I had taken two seconds out of my personal best and was running at just over 1:50.8 which put me 6th on the grid for race 1.  The car went off to parc ferme and I went for a sit down.  It was over 32 degree's and nearly 100% humidity so I was somewhat warm.

Over lunch the car was returned from parc ferme and I immediately noticed the rear left tyre was looking deflated.  As it would be with a damn nail hanging out of the middle of it.  As it was the end of season race I didn't have any spare tyres at all.  So a quick repair was completed with what is known in the trade as 'dogshit' I understand.  Brilliant racing on slicks held together with glue what could possibly go wrong.

Sat on the grid for race 1 and I had a C63 AMG, Caterham R500, M3, Evo and the blue Atom in front of me plus nearly 20 cars behind me.  As the lights go out I drop the clutch and off we go.  I pass the C63 and Evo before T1 but struggle to keep them behind me for obvious reasons.  I push the other Atom around for a bit and he had some very close racing with the M3 I kept chasing the two of them but just couldn't keep up.  I finish 2nd in class and 5th overall as the Evo detonated as usual before the end of the race.  Good race that went out live on TV and was well attended for a Saturday.  Oh and my umbrella girl didn't show up due to visa issues :(

Race 2 on Sunday morning was a bit cooler and from the grid I had an awesome start going up to second behind the Caterham.  I managed to hold off the others for half a lap or so but just lack the top end power.  After they all blew past me I had the track to myself and did a 1:50.3 my best lap ever.  Finished 2nd in class and 5th overall.

So what do I think:
1) The sequential is easily worth between 1.5-2 seconds a lap, the current cable run loops back on itself 180 degrees and needs looking at as the race goes on it gets a bit tough to change gear.
2) I need to keep spare tyres in reserve despite the cost, racing and thinking about avoiding the kerbs and being easy on tyres costs time.
3) I need some tuition to find another 1-2 seconds that I know are there. 
4) The engine needs some work, VTEC Killer cams and springs at a minimum or an ERL long block at best ;)

FlyingTrotter

Post by FlyingTrotter » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:36 am

Great write up - gives a really good sense of the frantic activity - doesn't sound like you sleep a lot over race weekends !!

MonsieurX

Post by MonsieurX » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:08 am

Awesome!!! Can't wait to see the movie!