Quaife Sequential

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
speedmachine

Re: Quaife Sequential

Post by speedmachine » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:22 am

i think your shifter cable is on the correct (cold) side of the engine, but watch out for them at hot places, they tend to melt and break down. i know, I had to replace about 4 of them on my former car.
Atom 4 on its way, GR Yaris for the wet days

fieldl

Post by fieldl » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:19 am

Momentum Motorsport in Ireland were recommended by Quaife and have been great. The components are around 4k plus then the building of it etc etc quite sensible really.  I had it shipped straight to HK so no VAT of course.

Good point speedmachine it is the cold side. Longer term I'll have some sort of bellcrank made to keep the cable straighter. Just need the car ready to race in a few weeks.

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:46 am

[quote="fieldl"]
Momentum Motorsport in Ireland were recommended by Quaife and have been great. The components are around 4k plus then the building of it etc etc quite sensible really.  I had it shipped straight to HK so no VAT of course.

Good point speedmachine it is the cold side. Longer term I'll have some sort of bellcrank made to keep the cable straighter. Just need the car ready to race in a few weeks.
[/quote]

The Irish Road race and rally scene must be a big market for the sequential box maker!

O to not have to pay VAT....... :'(

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:57 am

Is it a simple build up the box and fit it and away you go?  Is there any electrical trickery that needs setting up to assist the box (doesnt look like there is)

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:10 pm

[quote="Stew Bartley"]
Is it a simple build up the box and fit it and away you go?  Is there any electrical trickery that needs setting up to assist the box (doesnt look like there is)
[/quote]

Looks like its getting easier and easier Stew :tu:

I would assume the electronic stuff would only come in if you had paddle shifters on the column? as this is a traditional cable operation its almost like for like - Hope I have that correct..Blimey this sounds like a mod many could achieve...

Is there an engine ignition interrupt used for clutch less shifting.....??? its got me thinking now ???

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:14 pm

Sounds like one for you Will, perhaps better than a charger!!

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:16 pm

[quote="Rocket Man"]
Sounds like one for you Will, perhaps better than a charger!!
[/quote]

:o Nope - charger first ........... ;D

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:17 pm

Would have thought there would be some kind of ignition kill but on a box such as that it may not need it. What's the quoted shift time on the kit I wonder. I'd have a go at fitting one of those myself.

fieldl

Post by fieldl » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:03 pm

So you could go electronic with auto blip and ignition cut out something like a Flatshift Expert but I cant be certain it will work with the DBW throttle body.  After the next race I'm going to have the engine rebuilt and probably move to a different ECU which will work with the gearbox better.  Kind of pushing the limits of the Flashpro at the moment.

Charger would be a bad option for me due to the class I'd then have to run in.  Sub 2l is the place to be, and dominated by Atom's in China.

vernonjones

Post by vernonjones » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:08 am

Hi Field. Just about to order one of these myself. Any chance of a demo video and or any photos of the brakcet and routing please.

Thanks

fieldl

Post by fieldl » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:39 pm

Ok with the DBW throttle there is no way you can set auto-blip and flatshifting unless you move to a standalone ECU that supports it.  I am very likely to go that way and cable throttle for next season. Especially with some of the electrical problems I've had, cable throttle will help sort many of these damn issues.

I've been testing the car this weekend and the gearbox is awesome.  With worn out semi slick tyres I've beaten my lap record by two seconds.  Fresh tyres will give another two so I should get well within the sub 2l track record for Zhuhai. 

Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the cable run.  We've had to drill and taper a new hold in the firewall to run the cable through it's really important to keep things as straight as possible.  The cable then has to run to the rear and turn 180 degrees to the selector which is less than ideal but I'll sort that long term.  You cannot fit this with the standard two seat moulded job. 

I've had a nightmare with VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) as it sits too close to the final drive and shears the end off.  I tore up several before we worked this out and these are neither easy to get hold of or cheap.  I can testify that nothing works without VSS.  You cannot ignore the VSS even with a Hondata Flashpro.  Bear in mind I'm importing these sensors from Japan and they cost over 80GBP each :(  We've fixed it with spacers and constant measuring very tiny increases in distance.  You will really struggle with this if you cannot get live data out of the ECU.  Another reason to move to standalone ECU then I can bin the VSS altogether.

However the tall gear stick makes gear change awesome, touring car like:

So the key points:
1) VSS is an utter pain
2) If you have the standard moulded seat you can't get the right run on the cable
3) It's fast as hell and makes things a lot easier

Uploading a video now but its going to take a while.

vernonjones

Post by vernonjones » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:44 pm

Thanks so much for the pointers. Any chance of a few photos of what you did with the VSS?

I may end up going AEM anyway.

Thanks

fieldl

Post by fieldl » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:46 pm

My tuner mentioned this week that the exhaust is far too restrictive and as it's Euro III compliant this will be a problem.
I've just had the chassis resprayed as well and here is the result of today's testing:

It seems the exhaust cannot handle the fuelling at all and super heats, not to mention the cat bypass is a smaller diameter than the manifold compressing gas more.

See the wires in the top right they run to the injectors which we believe was the reason the car stopped. 
I've had an Intake and Exhaust engineer from the US with me today and he commented both are sub optimal.  These will be replaced ASAP.  The air intake has more bends than a roller coaster which doesn't help.

fieldl

Post by fieldl » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:47 pm

So the guy I've had working with me this weekend used to work for AEM and I suspect I'll do the same as long as I get confirmation it can control auto-blip and flatshift.

vernonjones

Post by vernonjones » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:51 pm

Oh that's bad news. Are you Supercharged? Is it the standard Exhaust from the factory?

I have 2 AEM's and I can confirm the AEM for the JZA80GTE supra does indeed do full throttle gear changes. Not sure about Auto blip but Ill plug in later and see if its there.