Onboard Camera

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
bullet11300

Onboard Camera

Post by bullet11300 » Mon May 21, 2012 12:40 pm

I am looking at installing some cameras on the car for track day experiences.

Just wondered if there is a 'best' setup out there?

It would be great to have software too .... where do you plug in such equipment?

Trigger

Re: Onboard Camera

Post by Trigger » Mon May 21, 2012 1:48 pm

TBH you are best doing a search. There are lots of different options that people use. GoPro is a favourite of course.
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

FlyingTrotter

Post by FlyingTrotter » Mon May 21, 2012 2:56 pm

Just video or video and data ? That's the big question to address - then it's cost, looks, convenience etc etc

The Hd video quality of the gopro 2 takes some beating but if you want data integrated then the UK market leader still seems to be Vbox albeit there are lots of fans of the Chase Diva and the race technology kit

Lots of threads on this - I came close to a Vbox but ended up getting a gopro as much as anything due the video quality and ease of use

ragezx14r

Post by ragezx14r » Mon May 21, 2012 7:53 pm

After trying out most of the cheaper options including GoPro I've settled on a Vbox Lite. At a grand it's not the cheapest option but for a trackday just pop a 32GB SD card in and it will record every time the car moves and stop with the car. With the GoPro you are always changing batteries and SD cards as it will only record for two hours on a set of batteries but if you stop recording after say half an hour, it will only record for another ten minutes if you are lucky on the same batteries. Not the 1.5hrs you would expect.

Darren

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue May 22, 2012 1:31 pm

[quote="ragezx14r"]
After trying out most of the cheaper options including GoPro I've settled on a Vbox Lite. At a grand it's not the cheapest option but for a trackday just pop a 32GB SD card in and it will record every time the car moves and stop with the car. With the GoPro you are always changing batteries and SD cards as it will only record for two hours on a set of batteries but if you stop recording after say half an hour, it will only record for another ten minutes if you are lucky on the same batteries. Not the 1.5hrs you would expect.

Darren
[/quote]

That's true if you forget to turn it off, but mine (1 and 2) work fine and record a couple of hours regardless of whether it's in one hit or several - but it didn't used to until I learned to remember to turn it off...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

MonsieurX

Post by MonsieurX » Tue May 22, 2012 2:26 pm

Plus when you dont turn it off, you have some great footage of the people around your car  :roflp:

That's why i bought 2 extra batteries...

TrackDayBore

Post by TrackDayBore » Wed May 23, 2012 8:13 pm

[quote="ragezx14r"]

Darren
[/quote]

Hi Darren,

I'm with you..
My son had a GoPro (snow boarding stuff) and the quality is truly amazing - but as you say, with Vbox Lite, it just turns on/off automatically. However, remember to turn it OFF when you leave the track for the drive home...no point in providing the 'evidence' of you progress to Mr Traffic Cop  >:D

Cheers,
Barry