Atom 3 245

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
bullet11300

Atom 3 245

Post by bullet11300 » Mon May 21, 2012 9:30 am

I test drove a secondhand Atom 3 245 (secondhand)

As far as I am aware the car was original from point of view of the brakes but unless it was me then I have to say I was a bit disappointed with the brakes? I did not feel massively confident with them? Admittedly I didnt use them hard so did not warm them up? would this make a big difference if I had?

Are there upgrade options for the brakes do you know? I would be interested in your comments ......

Richard Marler
Administrator

Re: Atom 3 245

Post by Richard Marler » Mon May 21, 2012 9:41 am

The Alcon (the main upgrade option) brakes do give you a lot more feel, but more importantly remember they are not servo assisted. The very first time I drove an Atom I remember thinking that the brakes were very scary, having never driven a car with unassisted brakes. When you get used to them however, they work very well indeed.
Atom 3 300. Surrey, England.

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Mon May 21, 2012 9:41 am

Did it have the Alcon upgrade? i think a common belief is they are essential at least on the fronts.

I have them on the fronts and they do need warming up, ill often start a drive for a bit with my left foot on the pedal or do a few hardish stops.

Plus remember they arent servo assisted, so you really have to stamp on them (the upside is brilliant feel). Theres none of this modern car over-servod top end of travel you get on seemingly every sporting car these days.

bullet11300

Post by bullet11300 » Mon May 21, 2012 10:27 am

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

The Alcon brakes ..... are these just pads or discs too?

I bought the car anyway!! I worked on the basis that there might be an upgrade option anyway ....

As far as I know its fully standard, just wondered if there might be a better pad option?

Thanks

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Mon May 21, 2012 10:59 am

No such thing as a standard Atom really. But as far as I know the Alcon upgrade is calipers, pads, and bigger, vented discs. Easy to spot as you will have grey calapers with Alcon written on.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Mon May 21, 2012 11:23 am

I have had an Atom 160 with Sport brakes (ok but a bit weak), a 300 with Alcon front and sport rears (pretty good but pedal is a little soft due to compromise) and finally a 300 with Alcons all round - Alcons all round make a huge difference I reckon on feel mainly.
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

bullet11300

Post by bullet11300 » Mon May 21, 2012 11:35 am

Cheers

Will make enquiry with Ariel as to cost of upgrade ....

I get the feeling I might need to sit down when told how much!

Just out of interest, and I have'nt found anything so far, but is there a website or something where you can view Atom accessories?

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Mon May 21, 2012 11:52 am

Best thing is to call Tom at the factory and he will send you the price list for new options - that will show you the possibilities.

T
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Mon May 21, 2012 12:14 pm

Did you buy from owner or dealer?

It may be possible to research here and find the spec of your car - either way the factory will know.

As has been explained, no car is standard. There is a base configuration which is the basic car but with absolutely no options. It would be missing the road pack for example - no lights, etc etc ..

The price list comprises an Excel spreadsheet with built-in macro that allows you to configure your car and see how much it's going to cost !

The Alcon upgrade is one of the more costly options!
Last edited by John Scherrer on Mon May 21, 2012 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Mon May 21, 2012 12:18 pm

[quote="Trigger"]
I have had an Atom 160 with Sport brakes (ok but a bit weak), a 300 with Alcon front and sport rears (pretty good but pedal is a little soft due to compromise) and finally a 300 with Alcons all round - Alcons all round make a huge difference I reckon on feel mainly.
[/quote]

Clearly Alcons all round are the best money no object option then, but out of interest is it worth the upgrade cost to Alcon rears too?

Am I right in thinking this means no handbrake though?

Steve

Post by Steve » Mon May 21, 2012 12:32 pm

I have Alcons all round, and if you set the brake bias optimally you'll find in most conditions that the rears do more work than the fronts in terms of retardation.

Given this it seems a strange option to have Alcons only on the front, but a lot of people do.

You can get a handbrake with rear Alcons, but it's not cheap - main reason why some do Alcons on the front only.

In terms of being disappointed with the brakes, I would back Richard up.  Get to a circuit and press the brake pedal hard when travelling at speed (remembering to come out of the pedal as you slow) and you'll be surprised at how quick you can stop.

bullet11300

Post by bullet11300 » Mon May 21, 2012 12:37 pm

I think I have become so use to servo brakes and abs etc ....

I still look forwards to the experience!

Any solutions for spacing the accelerator and brake pedal apart?

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Mon May 21, 2012 4:45 pm

Narrower shoes ?! (sorry  :D)

Once you get used to the pedals it shouldn't be an issue ..

The pedals can be adjusted for relative height to one another for customised heel and toeing but I'm not aware of being able to adjust the inter-pedal spacing ..

Rob McPherson

Post by Rob McPherson » Mon May 21, 2012 7:14 pm

Ariel have my car at the moment, so I can't check, but you can certainly change the placement of the clutch 'footpad/pedal' (move it left and right on the actual pedal lever), so I suspect you can also do it to the brake as well. Might give you enough options to space them more to your liking?

Cheers,
Rob.
Last edited by Rob McPherson on Mon May 21, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Mon May 21, 2012 7:55 pm

Never thought of that option Rob !

Clutch & Brake pedal pads are adjustable, though not sure if the position can be improved ..
Attachments
20120521_203710s.jpg