SRA Race #3/4

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
atomaker

SRA Race #3/4

Post by atomaker » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:33 pm

Should see 17 SRA cars out for July 16/17 race weekend at VIR, running Full Course.  SRA Series participation & momentum continues building.

Balance of SRA race schedule @ VIR:  Aug. 20/21 (North Course) - Race #5/6; Sept. 17/18 (Full Course) - Race #7/8; Nov. 26 (Grand Course) - Race #9; Nov. 27 (Full Course) - Race #10.

Cheers,
The TMI Team

macpdx

Re: SRA Race #3/4

Post by macpdx » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:21 pm

Any up dates on the race?  :checkeredflag:
Pics, videos or other such evidence?  :vroom:

ACE51

Post by ACE51 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:10 pm

It was a blast again! This time Atom driver Darrin Polsley came to play, man can he drive an Atom! Darrin and I traded lap times over the weekend, I spun twice in the first race and Darrin took 1st. Darrin had to catch a plane back home Sunday so he couldn't race :( no one to draft with!

I'll try to upload some video this weekend of the events, in the meantime here are the timing results, see "round 2":

http://www.racewayvenray.mylaps.com/results/showevents.jsp?st=3&org=138355

dp35

Post by dp35 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:59 pm

Thanks Aaron!  It was great racing with you.  Like all Atom gatherings, the SRA group is made up of a bunch of cool & interesting people that like to have a good time. 

As you know, I was the lucky “guest driver” for rounds 3 & 4 of the first season of the Spec Race Atom series at VIR last weekend.  This was my first time at this track or in this version of the Atom.

I was there to help test & develop the car. We made numerous setup changes over the weekend, and between that & me learning the track better, I was able to get down to a 2:07.0 on VIR’s full course. I assume that’s a decent time, but I know that a driver with more skills and/or experience at VIR could do a second or two better.

TMI has a long background in racing, so they know how to run a race & pamper drivers. Everything they’ve done is first class, from the build & prep of the cars, to the new purpose built semi trailer & massive awning that are used by all of the drivers on race weekends.

Considering that race licenses are not required for this series, I was pleasantly surprised at the speed & awareness of most of the drivers in the field. I also got some stiff competition from local driver Aaron Elsner (aka “ACE51”), who “aced” me out of pole for Saturday’s first race of the weekend. In the race we had a blast running close together and trading the lead, until he followed me on one of my off road lines & spun. For a guy with no real race experience, this kid is impressive. I had to miss Sunday’s 2nd race to catch the flight home, but did manage to qualify P1. But I have to admit that Aaron nailed the fastest lap of the weekend in practice at 2:06.6.

I’ve owned my Atom for five years now, and have dreamed the whole time of battling with another quick driver in an identical Atom. Most of my racing has been in the Spec Miata class, so I know all about close racing in equal cars. But doing it in something this fast is a thrill on another level. Hopefully the video below demonstrates how much fun we had. Speaking of the video, all of the Spec Race Atoms have the same data acquisition and dual in car camera setup, as well as a dedicated support person to troubleshoot this if needed and help analyze driver’s data if not (another example of a first class operation).
Spec Race Atom, VIR, 7-16-11

Had this series been started two years ago, when I was contemplating whether to go racing or keep doing track days, I would’ve been the first to sign up. IMO this is the perfect transition from track days to racing, with fast cars, great support, and a top notch track at a very reasonable price.

Speaking of a top notch track, VIR is my new favorite! I’ve been to a lot of tracks, including most on the west coast, and nothing I’ve seen compares to this. Not only is the track super fast, technical, and challenging, but the grounds are the most beautiful & well kept I’ve ever seen.  It’s built on a huge 19th century tobacco plantation property, with the original buildings still there & nicely restored.  The original mansion is now a nice restaurant & bar (like having a Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse at the track!).  They also have a lodge, villas, garages, etc, all built to match the plantation architectural style.  We stayed in the lodge above Turn 5, and it was perfect.  If you haven’t been there, put driving VIR on your bucket list & find an excuse to experience it. When you do make sure to stay & eat at the track, because those parts are also excellent.

I know it won’t happen because of geography, but VIR would be the most incredible location ever for an Atomfest type of event. 

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:27 am

Fantastic Darrin !
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:51 am

Superb stuff. So jealous.
Why can't we do this here? I'd never have flogged mine if we had.
Cheers,
Hedge