Vbox v Chase Cam DivA v Race Tech

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
FlyingTrotter

Vbox v Chase Cam DivA v Race Tech

Post by FlyingTrotter » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:15 pm

I'd pretty much decided to go with the 2 camera Vbox option and then I saw the Chase Cam DivA 2 kit

http://www.chasecam.co.uk/Products/diva ... a-kit.aspx

Anyone out there able to offer an informed view on the relative merits - ChaseCam are saying they are close to going HD and there would be an upgrade if I bought the DivA 2 which has some appeal - £1500 to £1750 is a lot to invest in SD

Cost wise the Vbox is cheaper with the other 2 coming in about the same but no suggestion that a Vbox or Race Tech would be upgradable so I would buy on basis it was SD and need replacing later if I want to go HD

Vbox seems to be selling well - are there any Chase cam fans out there

Monza

Re: Vbox v Chase Cam DivA v Race Tech

Post by Monza » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:42 pm

Hi, i have received 1 month ago my Diva HD, i have used it on a race at Motorland Aragon in Spain (fantastic track !) one WE but there was a bug in the soft so i my video is good for some minutes and in front of sun it becomes pink.
I have just upgraded it with a new soft online and i'll use it 3 times on track in the next 2 weeks (french trackday saturday, Spa trackday wednesday 29 with my Atom and races at Dijon track with my funyo 4RC) after this i think i'll have a good idea of what it can do !
My brother has a V box lite, it's good but not HD (like the Chasecam PDR100 i had before).
Jean-Pascal
Atom 3.5 310 Honda LHD

FlyingTrotter

Post by FlyingTrotter » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:45 pm

Ok I'll see you at Spa and we can chat then - getting too late to get one for Spa now especially if there are software upgrade issues

Monza

Post by Monza » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:50 pm

there was a bug in the first software, i have upgraded with new one appeared mid-june, now i hope there is no longer. See you at Spa. ;)
Jean-Pascal
Atom 3.5 310 Honda LHD

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:33 am

[quote="FlyingTrotter"]
I'd pretty much decided to go with the 2 camera Vbox option and then I saw the Chase Cam DivA 2 kit

http://www.chasecam.co.uk/Products/diva ... a-kit.aspx

Anyone out there able to offer an informed view on the relative merits - ChaseCam are saying they are close to going HD and there would be an upgrade if I bought the DivA 2 which has some appeal - £1500 to £1750 is a lot to invest in SD[/quote]

The DIVA HD has been released. If you're upgrading from a non-HD DIVA, be aware that the HD version only supports a single camera (SD takes up to 4).

Depending on where you mount your unit, you might want the -R version which is weatherproof. I have the older PDR-100 units (non-R) and while they stop working when they get soaked, they have always come back after drying out.

I am holding off on the DIVA for a number of reasons:

1) I still haven't seen raw HD video from the unit yet. I'm not happy with the PDR-100 video, and "fool me once..."
2) I won't buy one until they support large (SDXC) cards. I run the recorders whenever the engine is running, and that produces about 32GB/day from each recorder. I figure I'll need at least a 128GB card for HD.
3) I want to wait until the firmware matures, and then discuss adding some features (I'd like to run a pair of DIVA's, with one GPS unit and one OBD interface feeding both units).

Your best bet would probably to see how the DIVA works for you - at least here in the US, you can get a demo system with just a credit card pre-authorization (in case you don't send it back, they charge your card). That's what worked for the PDR-100 - it may be that there aren't enough DIVA units yet for a viable loaner program.

FlyingTrotter

Post by FlyingTrotter » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:34 am

This is helpful - thanks Terry - suspect I'm best to wait rather than rush to get a kit for next week so I can discuss with the chaps there next week / do more research

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:13 am

I have the Diva HD,  but have yet to hook it up.
I've been a little busy.

Hopefully this weekend.

FlyingTrotter

Post by FlyingTrotter » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:56 pm

By way of update we can now get the Diva HD-R in the UK - that's supposedly a one camera full HD system that is housed in a fully waterproof case and comes with a colour LCD screen and will become a 2 camera system later in the year with predictive lap etc

I never like buying something that is a work in progress especially with an IT component - will be interested to see Monza's system next week at Spa - it might be the one for me