First Trackday in Atom at Croft inc Video

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
ragezx14r

First Trackday in Atom at Croft inc Video

Post by ragezx14r » Tue May 03, 2011 9:57 am

Hi all,

I did my first trackday in the atom yesterday at Croft. There was 4 Atoms there! I thought i was recording all day on the Vbox but when i got home i had hardly any footage for one reason or another  :doh:

I met Glyn and Stuart who were in their matching white Atoms. Nice to meet you both. Didn't meet out on track though i did see you a few times ahead of me but i never caught you up!

The other Atom had grey chassis and blue panels and may have been Slippy's old car which he recently sold. Unfortunately I didn't get to chat to the owner as we were at opposite ends of the paddock although we did meet on track for a few entertaining laps. Sadly no footage of that.  :doh:

I also met RS4George who told me more info on the car and circuit in ten minutes than i could have learned from watching videos on youtube. Some of which i used on track but the suspension advice i didn't (sorry George)  ;) Preffering to get to know the car as it left the factory first then the adjustments will come later  :tu:

Anyway below is a video of me getting to know the car and circuit following a Westfield with a Holeshot Racing Hyabusa Turbo engine. Enjoy

Darren

I was there with a friend of mine in his Rage Buggy. We did do some comparison laps of me following him and him following me but i found when i got home no footage!  :doh: I'll get some next time.

Anyway heres a couple of laps footage i did get

Trigger

Re: First Trackday in Atom at Croft inc Video

Post by Trigger » Tue May 03, 2011 10:26 am

Looks great !! Seems you got used to the Duck clutch pretty easily - how was it ? Easy to find the biting point ?

T
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

wasp

Post by wasp » Tue May 03, 2011 11:12 am

You seem so happy with the oversteer, you look like a natural already! :tu:

Cheers,

Stu

p.s Watched your lap of Cadwell in the Rage, it was brilliant but promise you won't try to
do it like that in the Atom ;D
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue May 03, 2011 11:14 am

I imagine it's just like riding a motorbike except the gearchanging is done with the same hand as the clutch fingers...

Nice driving for a first time out - you could probably get heavier with the brakes, but that takes a bit of getting used to before you really trust them.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

ragezx14r

Post by ragezx14r » Tue May 03, 2011 1:06 pm

[quote="Trigger"]
Looks great !! Seems you got used to the Duck clutch pretty easily - how was it ? Easy to find the biting point ?

T
[/quote]

Yeah its a good system and it works well. The biting point is easy to find the only teething trouble i'm having is changing down from 5th to 4th i sometimes get 6th. As i did in the first corner on the video  ;D At least i'm not getting 3rd instead of 5th at 100mph any more!

ragezx14r

Post by ragezx14r » Tue May 03, 2011 1:07 pm

[quote="wasp"]
You seem so happy with the oversteer, you look like a natural already! :tu:

Cheers,

Stu

p.s Watched your lap of Cadwell in the Rage, it was brilliant but promise you won't try to
do it like that in the Atom ;D
[/quote]

Yes, I learned oversteer in the Rage. Cadwell is my favourite circuit to date. I can't wait to take the Atom there. Although i feel it will be a totally different experience  ;D

ragezx14r

Post by ragezx14r » Tue May 03, 2011 1:12 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
I imagine it's just like riding a motorbike except the gearchanging is done with the same hand as the clutch fingers...

Nice driving for a first time out - you could probably get heavier with the brakes, but that takes a bit of getting used to before you really trust them.

[/quote]

Thanks Bruce, The brakes are excellent with plenty of feel. Something that will, as you say, improve over time.  The brakes on the Rage had no feel and gave you no confidence. In fact i asked for a big brake upgrade after the first time i drove it. Three years later and still nothing materialised. But thats not my problem any more. Life with Aclon 4 pots front and rear is much better  ;D

Mota Leira

Post by Mota Leira » Tue May 03, 2011 3:33 pm

Good video and beautiful track! Out here in SoCal all we get is dirt, sand, and rocks around our tracks.

Yeah, you really handle that oversteer well. Looks fun!

Which tires do you have? How do you like them? What about the car in front of you, which didn't seem to drift as much?

007muel

Post by 007muel » Tue May 03, 2011 3:40 pm

Cracking vid shame the other sessions were missed - next time!  Looks like you’re making the most of your new toy straight out the box...

Good to see the Holeshot tuned Bussa not running away - i almost bought one. Glad I opted for the Atom! 

deepdiver

Post by deepdiver » Tue May 03, 2011 4:08 pm

quote:-
I also met RS4George who told me more info on the car and circuit in ten minutes than i could have learned from watching videos on youtube. Some of which i used on track but the suspension advice i didn't (sorry George)  Preffering to get to know the car as it left the factory first then the adjustments will come later.

when was this????

iv been offshore since the 24th April this year.  iv not been to Croft this year, is someone impersonating a fat bloke,with gray hair and a dodgy beard.

George

wasp

Post by wasp » Tue May 03, 2011 4:18 pm

[quote="RS4 George"]
quote:-

is someone impersonating a fat bloke,with gray hair

[/quote]

That would be most of us ;)

Cheers,

Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

ragezx14r

Post by ragezx14r » Tue May 03, 2011 4:22 pm

I must have misheard him then, he did mention you though. He drives a Gallardo? Very knowledgable about the Atom and does have one.

I'm sure he'll be along soon. Unless i imagined the whole thing  ???

Darren

deepdiver

Post by deepdiver » Tue May 03, 2011 4:28 pm

that will be John Gray,
if the lambo is gay yellow. a really nice bloke, so he took the lambo and not the atom, his atom is orange panels and gunmetal gray frame.  i was suposed to be there but im at work so im knackered, gutted i missed every one, and its a fast track as well.

george.

ragezx14r

Post by ragezx14r » Tue May 03, 2011 4:32 pm

[quote="007muel"]
Cracking vid shame the other sessions were missed - next time!   Looks like you’re making the most of your new toy straight out the box...

Good to see the Holeshot tuned Bussa not running away - i almost bought one. Glad I opted for the Atom! 

[/quote]

By the end of the day i was as quick or quicker than him. Bike engined cars are ok, i've had a few. The engines are highly stressed as they are always at max revs. I was on my 3rd in the Rage when i sold it. One Fireblade went pop so i upgraded to a ZZR1400. That needed a bigger oil cooler so had one fitted at the factory, the only problem was that they didn't put enough oil in when they give it back to me. It was fine on the road for 150 miles then i went to Oulton Park and suffered oil starvation aroung Druids. Rage payed for the new engine after a few 'conversations'

I'd go for the Honda VTEC every time. The only reason i didn't before was i hadn't found the duck clutch conversion.

Darren

ragezx14r

Post by ragezx14r » Tue May 03, 2011 4:34 pm

[quote="RS4 George"]
that will be John Gray,
if the lambo is gay yellow. a really nice bloke, so he took the lambo and not the atom, his atom is orange panels and gunmetal gray frame.  i was suposed to be there but im at work so im knackered, gutted i missed every one, and its a fast track as well.

george.
[/quote]

He wasn't on track but said he had a Gallardo. He wanted to book on but missed out. He's there on sunday i think.

Darren